Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help needed with prayer rug identification
rugaddict Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 1:34:09 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a small prayer rug and I'm hoping for some opinions on where it was made and it's probable age. The rug measures 36" x 22" and the foundation is cotton, with a blue weft. The pile has a very silky feel and sheen. I took it to the local rug shop where I have rugs cleaned and the shop proprietor thought it was a combination of silk and cotton or wool. He scraped the surface of the rug with his jackknife, rolled the fuzz and lit it with a lighter. It burned/melted like silk but it smelled like burning paper, not hair, which was why he thought the pile is not pure silk.
The rug has some wear but is in overall nice condition. I'm also curious about what the cartouches, top and bottom, might say. If anyone has any insights, I'd really appreciate them.
Thanks in advance!
rugaddict attached the following image(s):
Prayer rug 1.JPG
Prayer rug 2.JPG
Prayer rug 3.JPG
Prayer rug 5.JPG
Prayer rug 6.JPG
Prayer rug  7.JPG
Prayer rug  10.JPG
Prayer rug  11.JPG
Prayer rug 12.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 2:35:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

fiber looks like wool, but if you say it smells like paper that would be mercerized cotton. it's probably from 1950-60's turkey, even if the writing is other. Value is not high, but it is hand knotted as I'm sure you know
rugaddict Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 2:42:56 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the quick answer. So it probably doesn't have any silk in it at all? The closeup of the corner doesn't show any of the sheen that the rug has . What kind of value would you place on it?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 2:49:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

cant tell without seeing in person. as for value, depends on who has it. at auction this would go for $75 or so i would guess
KAD Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:46:45 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Hi,
from what is visible on the pictures, I would agree with the dealers statement about origin and material. I would say it is a typical turkish Kayseri from the 1950 / 60. Usually the warp and weft are made of cotton. Typical is the Kelim at the end of the rug before the fringes, and at the long sindes of the rug. These rugs often have a pile of Viscose, which is cotton that was washed in a Natron bath. This makes cotton shine like silk. This shine will disappear soon when used. Most of the time, after a professional wash, some of the shine will return.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

traditionalrugrepair Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:36:09 AM(UTC)

Hi,
This is a classic flosh carpet from Turkey. Made in Kayseri central Anatolia. Flosh is basicly manmade silk. Since silk come from cocoon. Flosh come from factory. They started to use flosh in Kayseri around 1880, they use to say Manchester cotton. I believe you flosh is about 40 years old. You also wonder the border of that prayer rug. Kayseri was a selcuk city. Selcuk state lived around (900-1200). All the city has many historical monuments from that time. They are very well preserved. Since sunni muslim can not make living fugure They made a lot of non- living figure. Anyway those borders are motif of selcuk state. If you want more info please write. thank you.