Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Who Actually Owns These Rugs?
gerrha Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:02:35 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,
For some time now, I have noticed rugs on Ebay that are listed for sale by many different sellers. Here is just one example of many. Thus rug is shown for sale from 5 or 6 sellers with similar pricing and exactly the same photos.

What is going on with this?
Thanks
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:33:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

We've talked about this somewhere on the forum, can't remember where.

This is really bad.

There are a bunch of sellers on the east coast of the states who share inventory. for what reason, I'm unsure, but they seem to dominate eBay with the majority of their rugs in the very low investment range.

I'll post a link for you when I dig up the thread where we talked about it more.
netjim Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:21:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I also am finding a lot of rugs - mostly small, 3x5 4x6 etc that would appear to be from one store/warehouse but have several seller names. There seems to be one town in North Carolina, perhaps two with an awful lot of these rugs. (Of course the examples I cite below would have to be larger.) Whistle
I also note titles and details that differ on the same page. Such as calling a rug then stating it is 60 - 70 years old.

Another example

And speaking of names......
There are a couple of those North Carolina sellers that call darn near everything they have Balouch. Then tell you one is Afghan, or another is Iranian but it could be from several different provinces (but Khorasan is probably most common) - I saw one a couple of days ago that was called Balouch from Baku.

rugaddict Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:28:28 AM(UTC)

Hi everyone - I read the posts here every day and thought it was finally time to register.
All of the listings on Ebay with a North Carolina location are from one seller - Heritage Unlimited. They have a large website and have multiple aliases on Ebay. At one time, I was told that they had more than 100 different seller names.
I started buying from them about three years ago and most of the rugs were nice and very inexpensive. The quality has since declined dramatically and I've sent back 90% of the rugs I ordered recently.
So I hope this helps to solve that mystery - I hope it was okay to name namesAnxious .
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:32:06 PM(UTC)

very interesting, Welcome to the forum rugaddict! naming names is okay if it's done in an objective manner. When you say the quality declined is this encompassing condition?

rugaddict Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:13:58 PM(UTC)

Hello RugPro - thank you for the welcome! I would say yes, it is an encompassing condition for most of their semi-antique stock. They also sell new rugs, which I don't buy, so I can't really comment there. That's not to say that all of their semi-antique rugs are no good - I recently bought a couple of very nice Balouch rugs from them, but in an order of 8 rugs, the two Balouch were the only ones with no issues.
I buy online and sell locally, so part of the problem I have is that I can't spend as much as someone who's buying for themselves, and as a consequence the rugs I get tend to be lesser quality, unless I'm lucky. However, I recently bought a large rug from the above business, paying in the $1000 range because I had preapproval from a client. The contact person I dealt with swore he checked the rug over himself and it was perfect. Of course, when it arrived I found that it had been shortened and pieced at one end, which didn't show in the photos and which was not mentioned at all by him. I sent it back for a refund but the hassle was enough to make me reassess whether to deal with them again.
It has been my experience that while there are a few honest ones, most of the rug dealers on Ebay are less than honest. It pays to ask questions and insist on guarantees of some sort. I finally have fairly good understandings with a couple of rug sellers on Ebay but it's taken awhile.
It's kind of a game, really - you win some, you lose some......
netjim Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:38:50 PM(UTC)

Hello rugaddict and welcome!

Your post explains why, after purchasing a small piece (from NC) I got a promotional email from Heritage. Think

RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:29:23 PM(UTC)

rugaddict wrote:
you win some, you lose some......

So true. tough break on the big piece, but it only adds value to the good one's you have. first post and this is great contribution of info! i knew many of these sellers were well interwoven in some manner. can't help but be impressed in some sense. just imagine all that inventory and how some items are represented in multiple stores. pretty unbelievable.

netjim wrote:
Your post explains why, after purchasing a small piece (from NC) I got a promotional email from Heritage.

LOL
netjim Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:51:20 PM(UTC)

Think

Takrugs
104 Williamson St
Fortmill, SC 29715

Heritageunlimited
Unique USA, 104 Williamson St., Fort Mill, SC 29715.

heh They have/use different phone numbers but the addresses are from emails they sent. Whistle

And the small piece I got is Just what I wanted Applause

KrowGyrl Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:55:24 PM(UTC)

just imagine all that inventory and how some items are represented in multiple stores. pretty unbelievable.>>>

Yah, and like I said when I first joined, I have even bought a few things from those "guys." I saw the same exact photos, maybe five or six of them, one after another in a row on eBay. It was kind of a riot. What was even funnier was now and then I found a few of those multiple listings where the prices were radically different from one to the other. Maybe you are just supposed to read them really, really fast for that like auction experience. I am not a high end buyer, as everybody know here. But for what I buy and sell, I have not been disappointed in what I got from them, although they are not my favorites on there, and some of those guys list machine made and handmade a little too closely together and don't always identify as clearly as they could for the novice buyer or one-time buyer. I never got rooked in that way, and the "machine made" is always there when you get down to the final description. But often the headline title might be "Gorgeous Hamedan" ... blah blah blah... whatever it is and then you get a few more pages into it and there's the machine made part. Sketchy at best. I think Machine made" or hand tufted or any of that stuff should be in the mainline tite. But you get what you are willing to scan closely.
rugaddict Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:26:59 PM(UTC)

Takrugs, Ruglady, ZazaDesign, Fantasyrugs, are just a few of the seller names they use. If you look on their site, the rugs that are listed on Ebay are usually 'reserved' for the duration of the auction. As I said, not all of their rugs are bad, and as KrowGyrl pointed out, you have to be thorough in reading the descriptions and looking at the pictures. One of the things that has helped me is to use 'Save picture as..' and transfer the photos to a folder in my computer. Then I can enlarge the photos and inspect the rugs more closely.
I do feel that the general quality of most of the rugs offered on Ebay has declined in the last 6 months. There are less rugs listed, too. I think some of it is due to the economy - dealers don't want to list better rugs if they won't go for better rug prices. Two dealers I buy from have told me that they can't afford to buy in the Iran or Afghanistan anymore and are buying more rugs in Europe. Either way their costs have risen and they are reluctant to sell on Ebay as opposed to their own sites.
Overall, though, Ebay is still a good venue for my business. It's buyer beware, whether you're buying rugs or anything else.
KrowGyrl Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:40:30 PM(UTC)

I do feel that the general quality of most of the rugs offered on Ebay has declined in the last 6 months>>>

Interesting to know. I haven't bought on eBay in a while, more than 6 months. I did a big buying frenzy about a year ago. I'll have to take a look and see what you mean. I did the "save photo" thing too. And I also noticed that most of the sellers on there over blasted the light on the camera and so the carpets were always darker and actually less flawed than they looked a lot of times in the pictures. I took a couple of gambles early on on one I just really liked a lot and figured I'd own if they weren't as nice as I suspected they were. It was a very interesting learning curve. I have had worse experiences buying from private parties on there, for many things. And to tell you the truth, I have had less problems or disappointments with the rugs than anything else I have bought on there besides books.
illegal Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:40:03 AM(UTC)

Anyone should be able to see this clearly. All you have to do is search for "rug" sort by price ( low to high ) and you should be able to easily distinguish the same rug being offered dozens of times. No matter who says what, there is no doubt in my mind that it is actually the same person doing this under different logins. If you note they all have sold plenty since their inception. Its something that has gone unnoticed even by people that are sitting in front of their computers looking for rugs on eBAy for years. I off hand am not sure how many sellers are included in this batch but here are some : Rugsource
Takrugs
Stylemarket
Gracious Homes
Zazadesign
2bfashion
fantasyrugs
Nomadrug
Chateaurugs
masterpiecerugs

and probably twenty to thirty more IDs

The image of the rug used, is exactly the same image which signifies that this is a scam and what you can refer to as certain type of Monopoly. The idea behind it is , not everyone is looking for a specific rug and most rug buyers on eBAy just want a rug; most buyers spend an hour or two sifting and picking and then they eventually get tired and bid on something they have picked. Now I am pretty sure 70 to 80 percent of the rugs ( by count ) or even more, are rugs posted by this person / group. So in effect they are destroying the rug market for other unsuspecting rug sellers and dealers with this practice. Most of their rugs are inferior HSN Crap anyways. Now I have not really took time to read all the postings here and so if I am reiterating something that someone else has mentioned already , I apologize.

eBAy is aware of this ( and they either are on it or don't give a damn because they make their stinking commission anyway). If you bother asking them if doing so is illegal, they say yes but if you show them , they will just say ( oh what a beautiful blue sky ) and ignore it right out of your head...

I discussed this with a very well known Economist asking him if this falls within the boundaries of what could be considered monopolizing the rug market on eBAy and whether or not this is a suitable for an anti-trust action . He suggested that it depends on several factors. First of all, if this is being practiced internationally, i.e., this is occurring primarily in nations outside of the U.S., then American anti trust jurisdiction is not applicable. Secondly, if it is 60-70% of the market, then it may be a stretch to say this is true an anti-trust action. It may possibly fall under the Sherman Anti-trust's "conspiracy to monopolize" clause, but only if it could be proved eBay was essentially duped as well and is thus a victim of any possible conspiracy to form a monopoly as specified in the Sherman. Again , I know for a fact that eBay has been notified of such fact and has danced around it , so I guess one could take eBay to court ( which I think would be a good thing to do for all the other rug sellers on eBAy or I don't know maybe just sue the hell out of the group of sellers which are doing this.

Bottom line I guess I have to praise whoever who is doing this as it seems that he/she/they figured a way to dominate the rug market on eBAy!

Ah the hell with it, while we are at it, if anyone uses my thoughts, and pursue some kind of class action / anti-trust case against these people, they owe me royalties, so think twice before you start up one and negotiate my commission. Well another thing while we are at it , I do hope no one will come after me and they better not because I have a laser gun...

Ha ha ha....
RugPro Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:52:32 AM(UTC)

definitely respected insight and glad you share the same sentiment. There is nothing to do about this directly. the worst part is these sellers are abusing keywords which do not apply to the rugs they sell. although some of these rugs are what some may consider a good deal, the bottom line is they are not typical goods which one would find at a reputable brick and mortar store and IMO do not have a retail value.

What the guys here at rugrag are doing to fight this monopoly is offer the RRA program. as more sellers pick up, they should be able to change what buyers look for rather than ask eBay to take action. the way this monopoly company advertises is highly inappropriate in my opinion. they exaggerate age, abuse and missuse attribution, and use less than adequate descriptions to prey on first time buyer misconceptions. thank you for your insight and welcome to the forum
KrowGyrl Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:21:02 PM(UTC)

As I mentioned, I have bought from some of the people on the list of multiple sellers. It is easy to spot when you see the same exact photo secen or eight times in a row. I have not bought anything (rugs) on ebay in almost a year and a half now because i did a big buy and then stopped and started selling. I don't know about now, but I can say that none of the rugs I bought from them were anything I would remotely call crap. No, they are not "investment" rugs, they're not museum quality, they are not profoundly unique pieces someone loses sleep over and regrets not buying for a lifetime. But they are very nice rugs, and the people who have bought them from me have been very happy. And I have presented them as exactly what they are and no one thinks they have bought the rug equivalent of a Mona Lisa. There are a klot of people out there who love the look of the rugs, want a real hand woven rug, but don't have a fortune to spend or anything like it. To those people I say, Come to mama!
cloudband Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:51:22 PM(UTC)

Dancing

Dear Krow,

I agree. However, the tactics this/these seller(s) use are abysmal. They are bastardizing the industry.

eBay does nothing to remedy. This is not their job.

Something needs to be done for solid sellers to stand out from these mis-advertised goods as eBay has become very difficult to navigate.

While I am all for a good product at a low price, it's nothing short of a crime for sellers to be vending these goods under false pretense.

All the best,
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
KrowGyrl Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:52:41 PM(UTC)

Cloudband ... I completely agree, absolutely. It definitely looks funky and what could possibly be the reason. even if it were like some real estate places that have multiple agents listing the same property, it's awkward. It also clogs up the eBay space with the large number of many multiple listing. But I cam to the conclusuions that eBay will only step in if it could possibly hurt them legally. If it's just the gray zone, they don't want to step on the toes of a customer ... in this case the seller.
huruburu Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 8:05:21 AM(UTC)

This is a terrific thread. Thank you for these great archives + this great and flexible site.
I may have to bid a teary-eyed farewell to eBay soon + wake up into working life.
My strategy at the moment is to identify a few eBay sellers I can deal with: I am one of KrowGyrl's buyers with very limited funds yet a deep fondness and yearning for rugs (by the way, I think this whole preoccupation with rugs is sexually based but I will not expand on this for fear of a fatwa).
I had a reasonable experience with Queensrug, not perfect but good enough.
I had a bad experience with Gallery99 (and if I had searched the archives here before rather than after purchase, I would have been spared the disappointment of
buying a rug claimed as 170 kpsi, verified as "above 150 kpsi" and actually 100-121 when it arrived).
I am a low-to-moderate budget buyer who wants multiple rugs. I would vastly prefer to buy from a rug store but the rug stores in my area are by and large out of reach, financially, though I really like visiting. I appreciate Oriental Rug Liquidators (I gotta say the name is off-putting to me, as an individual buyer) and will be watching for rugs in my price range.