Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What's the Catch???
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:43:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Between clients, I only hope I haven't alreadyposted this cause I am in rug meltdown-overload now. http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg Now, not good red, too lipstick and opaque; the kind of center medallion I am not crazy about......but, is is remotely possible this rug is from the 20s?????? I think it's like 15 years old. Ok, maybe from like the 60s.

Plus, If it were as they depict it.....the starting bid would not be thus. Plus, were it, there would be bids on it. right?

I also see now, cause I just learned about them.....it has the saw tooth guard stripe I read mark some formidably old sarouks. And the Lilihans are related to Sarouks.....but not as fine or durable. Also means knockoffs, faux ones can have it as well.

Yes, in the way Pro means it, it is all "commercial" and not individual. How could that be if it is ffrom the 20s???

I also now think these people may have a stock photo of the underside of everything. SAY MACRO MODE!!!!!!!

Why are the wefts so big? Is because it has very low KPSI? Yes, I see the long dark stain on the bottom.

WHAT IS THE CATCH WITH THIS RUG????
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:20:23 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hold on, now......check out below. for some reason I like this little error. Assuming it is unique within the entire stripe and not some repeating pattern. What does this mean? Now I really wish the red were in my new red range.
Jilly attached the following image(s):
O Look.JPG
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:29:17 PM(UTC)
Groups:

OMG.....get me meds, put me in rehab Isn't this the rug I posted long ago and Pro said commercial and saw the blotches on the bottom??????? OMG, I really am melting down.

This is shocking if so. I should check.

If it's the same one, I sure din see the little adorable "error" until now.

I am in a rug LOOP!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:43:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

YES!!! IT IS THE SAME RUG!!! same little error I only NOW see, same blotches on the bottom Pro caught!!!!
http://forum.rugrag.com/...eration-Attraction.aspx

But.....the reason I did not get it until just now.....is look at the price difference!!!!! Initially, they posted it at over $1100......and nowwwwww.....it's down to what you see!!!!! UNDER HALF THAT????

And yes, Pro also din think it was that old!

Can U believe this you know what?????? I mean CAN YOU?

Why is this so hard, buying a rug?????? Why should you have to exhaust yourself to spend yr hard earned money????? Why can't people Keep it REAL???????????? I guess it's hardcause I don't have 20K to spend, and the possible chincanery factor just wears you down.

Meanwhile, like a total cretin, I emailed them AGAIN.....cause I see from the first thread, I already HAD. I wonder if I asked same questions???? OMG.

I belong in a padded room now.
OK, thank God I pasted their response to my initial mail. Pro pointed out with contempt that the base being in good condition "for its age" was a red flag. I did, in fact just send almost the same questions. Because I am no longer a WELL PERSON, DO U HEAR ME?

Now what I iwll do is employ their initial response, write them again, tell them I see it's the same damn rug and ask more specific questions: what yu you mean re the base and for its age? iS THE BASE BRITTLE AND DRY OR IS IT NOT? thennnnnn.....I am going to ask WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS FIRE SALE ON THIS RUG? 15% off I could get, but cutting yr starting bid OVER FIFTY PERCENT??????

I will say, they have 100% feedback.

Please help me, I don feel good.

RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:46:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Jilly wrote:

Lol, great catch on the design color ;)
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:12:52 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
Jilly wrote:

Lol, great catch on the design color ;)

Yeah, big deal....THIS IS THE SAME RUG, DO YOU GET THAT? Before, 1,100 starting "bid"....now $450??????????

This is the item you picked up on the blotches on underside....this is the one you pointed out the euphemistic of the base is good for its age being a trap!!

I am LOOPING from rug LOOPINESS NOW!!!!

Now that it's down to $450 plus 99 shipping, do you think it is now worth my following up with determination to get more data? Or do I have that backwards?????

But tell me, aren't those two, consecutive yellow flowers just ADORABLE????????? So NOT SOFTWARE?????
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:52:27 PM(UTC)
Groups:

UPDATE:

JUST SENT THEM THIS....now the ball is in their court, and the rug will remain so if they do not SPEAK UP. I am not good at games (nor was Kobe during the playoffs, heh heh)....You ask me a question, I give you an answer; I ask YOU some, just give me the answers, this is not the NBA and I will not play that.

Dear rugandroll,

Hi again.

I just realized I had mailed you questions about this very rug a while back! Now, I am seriously looking for a rug. Please, if you will, answer these honestly:

1) You said in response to my first query, that the base was good "for the rug's age". What does that mean? Is the base dry and brittle or is it not?

2) There are deep blotches on the underside obliterating the wefts. What are these????

3) Again, how did you determine the age of this rug?

4) Again, may I please know the KPSI?

5) Finally, what, pray tell, is responsible for your having cut yr opening bid from $1,100 to $450???? A very dramatic reduction, yes? What exactly, does this reflect?

Thanks in advance for your responses to the above, each is IMPORTANT.

Jill

- ariesjill
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:40:14 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Update:

Here is reply from the vendor below. Can someone clear, with unmelted brain & some perspective assess this, please? I am very confused: I kinda knew they would Not answer the why did U reduce the starting bid by giant percentage? question. They also did not address the BLOTCHES. But I am V tired of having to edit what ought be NORMA and tap dancing, Keep it Real. Games are exhausting. At least, for me.

Dear ariesjill,

the rug pile is evenly all over the rug. there is no low or wear area. no repair or needs for repair. the binding is intact and the frienges are even. no dry foundation. kpsi is approximately 120-140. the rug is 70 yrs old +/- 20 years

- rugandroll

OK hold it; they now say 20 year window give or take. If we add 20 to their stated circa, 1920s.....that would mean old, but mot before big war. Bet it was NOT, in fact, made before Big War. What does that change?

My feeling is, sarouks and their cousins, the Lilihans.....made before Big War were much better than at any time thereafter. Is this right? Or is it some romantic, naive, ignorant notion with no foundation-base(is) (pun intended) in FACT??? I even like classic movices form before Big war, OK?

Pls know, paranoid & confused NOT my normal state of being. This is not good; I can usually focus like a laser over time and get clear on things differentially. In this, I can't.

But suddely seeing the little istake.....it warmed me a lot. Some imperfectoins make U luv the puppy. Others, not so much.

One more: Famous aphorism, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Now, my take is the Lilihans were not as fine in their construction as the Sarouks. Now they say the KPSI are 120-140......isn't that also more fodder for I dun thin so? OR KNOT.

RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:20:33 PM(UTC)

for the price they're asking it doesn't seem that bad. As for the age, I really wouldn't place this as old as they state, especially because 1920 is nearly 90 years old, now they say it could be as new as 50 years old. These people have their heads up their asses. As for the condition or blemishes on the reverse side, the fact is as a consumer, this should be something that's trustworthy if they say it's fine. However, if they "don't have the time" to go through and take photographs for you, who's to say they actually looked carefully at the rug in the first place, and recall it to be in the condition they're divulging at this point in time. Again, I don't think it's a horrible price for what I believe it appears to be, but I don't like people trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I would either get it and have determination of doing so with the understanding it may not be everything expected, or let these seller continue to lie like the rugs they sell.
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:35:01 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Ok....I just found their page. Rugandroll. In Memphis. the make trips to Iran ONGOING, they are real deal from Iran, salt of the earth,father was/is a total pundit... yadda, yadda, yadda. He chose a SONY VAIO. Not a bad choice, but also not worth the money. but neither was my Alienware Sentia.

What can we learn form this? NOTHING.

http://blogs.ebay.com/rugandroll

I am not impressed by the cattleya (the orchid saTge left). Plus and most important, he did not grow it. He is high maintenance. He makes serious profits. given new price of this rug....what does that tell us about its real worthiness?

I WANT A POLYGRAH PERSON!!!!!

this time they did auction.....little over an hour to go; not one bid. I would not do anytng without more feedback here. No way. THERE is some CATCH HERE; MORE than one, I think.

I am not having fun yet.
RugPro Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:51:24 PM(UTC)

--tell him he should do the rug rag verifications.-- These things below are such bulls&#
RugPro attached the following image(s):
2009-01-22_175341.jpg
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:47:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
for the price they're asking it doesn't seem that bad. As for the age, I really wouldn't place this as old as they state, especially because 1920 is nearly 90 years old, now they say it could be as new as 50 years old. These people have their heads up their asses. As for the condition or blemishes on the reverse side, the fact is as a consumer, this should be something that's trustworthy if they say it's fine. However, if they "don't have the time" to go through and take photographs for you, who's to say they actually looked carefully at the rug in the first place, and recall it to be in the condition they're divulging at this point in time. Again, I don't think it's a horrible price for what I believe it appears to be, but I don't like people trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I would either get it and have determination of doing so with the understanding it may not be everything expected, or let these seller continue to lie like the rugs they sell.

O CAPPED CRUSADER GUY!!!! I like the pithy comments. Esp WOOL over the eyes. lol

Yes, the 3 card Monte Game stuff very enervating, eroding, debilitating and alienating. Very. I just noticed their return policy is THREE DAYS. Shrewdly calculated to preclude returns altogether. Think about it. It ain't the stuff of integrity and authenticity and CLASS..

But letting go of the little mistake in the border strip is hard.

Somehow, the colors in this rug make it look very new to me. See the Lilis I just posted. Unequiocal i their luminosity and highly individual. I might capitulate in the age thingy......just tell me the truth.

I do not think their heads are where yr frustration decided....I think these are very slick humans, and everything they do is purposeful AND CALCULATED TO A CERTAIN END. It's the mindset I find pernicious...no, repulsive.

But I adore the "mistake"....I just adore it.

My take is, while this second auction is closing...if U can call it an auction, no way will I let anyone pressure me into anything, I hate toxic.....if I end up wanting this Less Than item, I will be able to get it.
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:54:17 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
--tell him he should do the rug rag verifications.-- These things below are such bulls&#

The chances of their doing this are again, same as Pope getting married, OK? What they do works for them......albeit at the expense of integrity, which means they are not happy humans to begin with. they are end justifies the means....like all of Wall street and too many BANKS HAVE BEEN.

It would be like telling Carl Rove to buy back his soul. NEVAH HAPPEN. No rollbacks as in that moed with Keanu Reeves and Pacino playing Satan.

Character is destiny.
KrowGyrl Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:37:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I have bought probably 50 carpets from RugandRoll and always been more than delighted. With all eBay sellers you have to know what you're looking at and read through the HooHa.
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:51:54 PM(UTC)
Groups:

KrowGyrl wrote:
I have bought probably 50 carpets from RugandRoll and always been more than delighted. With all eBay sellers you have to know what you're looking at and read through the HooHa.

It's the Romantic Pragmatist!!!! (Atypical combination.)

I just logged of my "evening work"....exhausted but so happy to have logged onto this site and seen this. It is very helpful. Personal experience, Krow.....from an enlightened source.....is precious. I may not adore the rug, may not trust them completely given the variables, forget the diverse price listings.....but I have fallen in love with the little glitch in design execution in the border I siddenly saw. I know it is tiny thing, Krow.....might turn many people off....I just like it. Many deal breakers I have listed.....this tiny thing is a kind of deal MAKER.

Again, I am ALSO Trying to get clear on if something marginally decent can be had for this kind of money given the rugs I really adore and what they end up costing. Pls remember I am NOVICE.

When I have slept, I will factor in what you have shared.

Thanks so much,
Jill
#16 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:07:58 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi again Krow, forgive this addendum but it just presented......that is how it works with me in every life arena every minute.

It is my understanding, that while you are true and discerning lover of fine rugs.....you are also a dealer. I am wondering what percentage of the many rugs you have gotten from this vendor and have been delighted with. have been for resale and chosen for that purpose with an educated take on the needs of your particular client base, thus generating delight.....versus shopping for something PERSONAL & precious, when it is filled with provenance and nuances and is meant to be your first and ONLY RUG PURCHASE

Delight is good--if fact, it is DELIGHTFUL.....but it is also very case and individual specific, yes?

Did you know them when they were here in NYC? It was not long ago.
#17 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:48:38 AM(UTC)
Groups:

It is endless. I can't imagine how may of these one might find were we to see the whole rug. Apart from the two consecutive yellow flowers....there is also a yellow, not properly green leaf in close proximity. I missed it.

Jilly attached the following image(s):
O Look.JPG
#18 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 3:11:26 AM(UTC)
Groups:

O!!!!!!!! I just came upon this!!!!!! See? these "anomalies" I now see in this rug, and find compelling and delightful....ARE, OMG.. EXAMPLES of well documented TRADITION with religious underpinnings!!!!!!!

Surprisingly, a fine Persian rug will almost always include intentional imperfections. In fact, there's an old Persian proverb that says, "A Persian Rug is Perfectly Imperfect, and Precisely Imprecise". This notion of intentionally including slight and minor irregularities is derived from the religious belief that God is the only perfect being and that attempting absolute perfection would be claiming the position of the Almighty.

How come nobody told me? This is SO CHARMING! Google, Great Gift
#19 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 5:03:39 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hello Again, Boys & Girls.

Just now, I got I am being waterboarded in a Three Card Monte Game in Hell.

The Lilihan, subject of this thread, from Rugandroll, a vendor whose delight, as per Krow's experience, I am apparently precluded from---THIS LILIHAN, has just been posted AGAIN. For the THIRD TIME. Now, the starting bid is BACK UP TO $1,100!!! SAME RUG: same underside blotches, same charming anomalies in the border. http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

Can we see now why I am not getting the delight? Can we see why I was-AM being neither paranoid, difficult, recalcitrant nor not objective re seeing red flags and enduring serious confusion and mistrust?

#20 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 5:23:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

We all have to go with our feelings. I have never paid Rug and Roll a thousand dollars for a carpet, or anyone else sight-unseen on eBay. For me personally, had I seen that rug on there offered by them, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Unless I was shopping for a specific color palette for a specific client, I think the colors are frumpy. Buying that carpet at $1100, what on earth is it going to be marked up at? Not seeing it. It's ordinary. I think. There are too many carpets on there to lose sleep over something you're not sure of.
#21 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 6:46:12 PM(UTC)
Groups:

KrowGyrl wrote:
We all have to go with our feelings. I have never paid Rug and Roll a thousand dollars for a carpet, or anyone else sight-unseen on eBay. For me personally, had I seen that rug on there offered by them, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Unless I was shopping for a specific color palette for a specific client, I think the colors are frumpy. Buying that carpet at $1100, what on earth is it going to be marked up at? Not seeing it. It's ordinary. I think. There are too many carpets on there to lose sleep over something you're not sure of.

Ding, Ding Ding.

I never loved it......I am so depressed that things I do love are 20K. Also remember, the listing before todays......it was $450. Says it right in this thread. It is indeed ordinary.

But so far, Krow.....in everything marginally possible for me to consider, there's always been some catch. Like my finally seeing the splendid old ornate sarouk located in Coney Island......is missing parts and was badly repaired. You get sad and you start trying to settle. And that makes U sadder.

But ordinary nailed it. Be it at yesterday's $450 or today's again $1,100. If you take the time and scroll up and use the links and look carefully, you will see.; It's incredible. Make that NOT credible.

Also freaks me out that wut....people do not notice these things????????

You may recall in my last email to them, I asked about the dramatic dance of the prices on this rug. they did ot reply to that one.

I appreciate yr candor. I do candor and I like candor.
I must add this, its a huge issue in this: Bottom line sadness is, I grew up with very fine rugs I took for granted.I had no clue. The one I kept and had to sell, a perfect example of this. Now I must face that replicating the quality and essence and specialness of what I took for granted......is probably not possible. That is a big cornerstone of my sadness.....and also fosters my confusion.

I now get clearly, the rug I sold would retail at probably 8K. Since I finallly let them give me $1,600 for it and they managed to make me feel they were doing me a favor.....this compounds the misery. Bigtime.

I hope this sheds more light on this particular journey for this particular Jilly.