Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How much should I ask for this, & how describe it? (ETA more info)
reginak Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 1:41:38 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi, all. I am downsizing and need to sell this 8'10" x 11'11" carpet. Can you help me to describe it and put an asking price on it?

My brother and I bought it new from a dealer in Maryland, in or about 1996. Wool over cotton, to my inexpert eyes. We paid either $1,200 (his recollection) or $1,800 (mine). I think ... amazing either of us remembers at all, but I guess it was about the most expensive thing we'd ever bought other than a house or a car. I love the carpet, but it needs a big room, and I can't afford to just store it somewhere. It's been cleaned once, 2 years ago, and maybe once 10 years or so ago, I can't remember.

Thank you so much!
reginak attached the following image(s):
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

fredgrower Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 3:16:01 PM(UTC)

It looks like it's in pretty good shape, others can tell you what it is, as all I can tell is if something is hand-knotted or not. I traded in one of my large rugs for a smaller one at a local rug shop, sometimes that is more fun than just selling it.
reginak Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 3:24:43 PM(UTC)

So ... is it hand-knotted? I think so?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 7:40:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

it's hand knotted. from india. bad tea wash? does not look like regular pile directional issues with the lighting. fringe looks tinted, thats why I say tea wash. This will affect value if so
randdmiller Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 8:01:38 PM(UTC)

Take a close look at the white components. The warp looks yellow. If it is (could just be bad light) ---- then your carpet was washed
(treated with a chemical to make it look older than it really is).

Sad thing about washing is that it cuts value in half.

A non-antique city carpet is typically evaluated on the quality of construction.

Your piece looks like about 100 kpsi ---- which as far as oriental carpets are concerned - is the low side of medium quality. Notice how thick the warp is.

Your piece would sell quickly for $500 (my opinion). If it's not tea-washed --- double that figure.

reginak Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:58:45 AM(UTC)

Hmm. My first reaction was "no, no, it's just bad lighting". Offhand, the fringe looks to me like the color of unbleached muslin, no darker. And it doesn't look like it's pretending to be an old carpet, and the dealer certainly didn't claim it was old. There are dark spots in the pattern, but I figured they were -- I don't know, places were red wine or coffee had been spilled and not completely cleaned out. Not that stains are any less of a problem, I suppose, but tea wash had not occurred to me. But looking closely at the fringe, you might be right. It seems whiter at the tips, tanner toward the carpet, and what could that be but a wash?

Ah well. I already have a buyer at $500, if he's still interested.

Thanks for the advice!
reginak Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:54:31 AM(UTC)

randdmiller wrote:
Your piece would sell quickly for $500 (my opinion).

The offer I had at $500 isn't interested anymore. Since you say it would sell quickly at $500, I took a chance and listed it for $600 on Craigslist, describing it as well as I could including the possible tea wash. If it doesn't sell within the first 7-day listing, I'll drop it to $500.

Thanks again.