Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
How about this one?
KrowGyrl Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 3:44:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:05:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Wow, really awesome rug. Very nice piece, I like it a lot. The only thing is the blues appear to have slight sun fade. I also think it may have been chalked a little. I'll post the suspected areas. Overall, it's definitaly worth throwing a bid down. I would be a little concerned though as two zero feedback bidders are onto this rug, somewhat fishy if you ask me.
RugPro attached the following image(s):
1adjfaded.jpg
1adjPainted Area.jpg
1adjPainted areas.jpg
KrowGyrl Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:07:36 PM(UTC)

Aha! Good to know. I have noticed the "zero feedback" guys more and more. Man! I feel like such a babe in the woods. (I guess that's because I am?)
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:09:17 PM(UTC)

I also wonder if my monitor is at optimum performance. I have a pretty good eye for color and I do a lot of photoshop work, but you can't really tell. I have other computers here. I should fire them all up and compare the same pieces.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:19:57 PM(UTC)

http://tinyurl.com/5fs8w8

And what about this one? Just visually I'm going wild.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:24:46 PM(UTC)

certainly, in the meantime, take a look at the attachments up top
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:27:29 PM(UTC)

By the way, on the first rug, did you notice the two signatures toward the top of the rug in the middle of the field?

This next rug is really nice, the price is a little high from a resale standpoint, but could be a good investment. Great taste by the way, excellent colors in both carpets, especially the second one. The only thing is, if you import from Australia you may incur some sort of taxes, although I'm not entirely sure.
KrowGyrl Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:36:16 PM(UTC)

take a look at the attachments up top >>>

Wow ... I see what you mean. I couldn't see any of that on my monitor from just the eBay listing. enlightehing, very enlightening. Many thanks again .... Very interesting too ...
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:37:37 PM(UTC)

I think it's worth bidding on though. A nice looking rug. Did you see the "signatures". Not that it adds value really, but interesting to say the least
RugPro attached the following image(s):
adjSignatures.jpg
KrowGyrl Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:41:01 PM(UTC)

Right, I'm sure on the import taxes. By the way, a month ago when eBay was having such a nightmare with their site because of the count down clock, I lost several auctions because it was going so slow. So I jumped over onto eBay UK and found a lot of rugs that were not available on eBay US and some interesting stuff. Do you guys ever peruse the UK site? They were not having the problem with the slow software so I just started bidding on their site. And several of the sellers' shipping costs, even with the bad exchange rate, were no different than the shipping costs here. If you don't look at them it might be work a peek. They have nowhere near the quantity of rugs, but some things and styles I have never seen on eBay US.
RugPro Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:45:58 PM(UTC)

very good point, interesting too. I've seen a couple of sellers who had some nice things in eBay UK, but I really don't spend much time on eBay in general. I think it's worth getting a better idea of what's out there. True on the amount of goods available here. eBay really does seem flooded with rugs here, with a lot of similar goods too. I'm realizing now how difficult it can be to screen out some of these cheap machine made carpets from large sellers from the hand knotted. Machine mades in my opinion should be in a separate category, but then again, I bet it encourages everyone's sales to have them all mixed in.
KrowGyrl Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:46:08 PM(UTC)

Did you see the "signatures>>>

Interesting indeed. Double the same signature. I have not seen that before. Is that common? I have a couple of rugs with signatures.

http://tinyurl.com/6xfzbe

This one does, in the lower left quarter above the pinwheels that almost looks like a Qaballistic "tree of life."
RugPro Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:46:54 PM(UTC)

by the way, have you ever purchased from actual privately owned sites, or mainly on eBay?
RugPro Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:50:31 PM(UTC)

nice looking rug. It almost looks like a hamadan, but could be abadeh? Do you know what the signature says? Double signatures are not all that usual actually. It's also a little more unusal for Iranian rugs to have signatures in the field - often they're integrated into the center of the border on the top of the rug. Although, for tribal rugs such as these it is a little more common to be in the field.
KrowGyrl Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:51:33 PM(UTC)

Machine mades in my opinion should be in a separate category, >>>>

I agree 100% and it has always irritated me. All those rugs are in the "antiques" category. It is misleading and it's also time consuming to go through hundreds of rugs to find the ten you want to look at. New machine made rugs should no more be in there than Lay-Z-Boy armchairs should be. And some of the sellers, they all do it that sell machine made, they're all thrown in there together and you have to spend time reading all the way through the listing to get to the "machine made" down at the bottom where the rest of the listing read like a real rug. I know. It doesn't make me buy machine made, it just makes me irritated. And I am sure the person looking for a hundred dollar rug doesn't want to have to dig through 20,000 rugs out of his range or style preferences. It's definitely an eBay weakness.
RugPro Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:56:51 PM(UTC)

I just wonder what are some other sites that offer auctions. Do you only purchase on eBay?
KrowGyrl Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:58:58 PM(UTC)

Interesting. My Arabic is minimal, and my Farsi nonexistent. I assume that's Farsi. The first letter is the same as the letter on the double signatures you showed me. It looks like an "a'yn" with a tail. The second letter looks like a "ha" and then the others look like a "sin" and the other I can't tell what it is. I know my Arabic alphabet but these are disconnected letters which you would never see in Arabic, not as a signature. Some of the signatures on rugs I have seen look like signatures. These four stand alone letters though, has me stumped. Maybe Tabriz could shed some light?
KrowGyrl Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:01:13 PM(UTC)

As far as online I have only used eBay. I have bought from auctions in person in upstate NY a few times years ago. And yes, my carpet is a Hamedan.
RugPro Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:08:17 PM(UTC)

What's the story on this one you have for an avatar?
KrowGyrl Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:14:17 PM(UTC)

LOL ... the "story" is that it's an "Early 1900's Shiraz Antique 6'7"x4'3"" I got another one very similar to it a few months ago, old and trashes but so charming I just love it and am keeping it for myself. When I saw another one, I had to snag it. It's dry and worn and faded, not good. But I just love the design. I am sure I can put it in the booth and make my money back. It wasn't much. I got it from an individual seller. The colors are not as weird as the picture shows, but it's got a " yellowed or, ruddy quality to it.
KrowGyrl Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:18:18 PM(UTC)

the "story" is that it's an "Early 1900's Shiraz Antique >>>

Meaning that was the seller's story.
RugPro Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:29:10 PM(UTC)

Well, it certainly looks like a nice design.
KrowGyrl Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:34:55 PM(UTC)

http://tinyurl.com/63re3b

This is the original one I got. I just love it. It's even sweeter than the one I use for the avatar.
RugPro Offline
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:40:52 PM(UTC)

I forget what they call these on ebay- Koliaei Rugs or something? Is that the chateau/tak/masterpiece/masoudi/stylemarket/zazadesign guy from VA?
KrowGyrl Offline
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:55:44 AM(UTC)

chateau/tak/masterpiece/masoudi/stylemarket/zazadesign guy from VA? >>>>

Good Lord! You mean those are ALL the same guy? I figured some of them were. No, actually both of these rugs I got from two different individual sellers. What's the point of having so many aliases when it's so easy to spot?
RugPro Offline
#26 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:09:47 AM(UTC)

when you do searches, do you customize it to see the seller's store name on the right hand side? Other than the goods being similar, many of the search terms are spelled the same way too.

I'm not entirely sure what the benefit to having so many stores is other than some separating the value of the item or formats: fixed price, store inventory, and auctions w/ no reserve.
KrowGyrl Offline
#27 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:16:23 AM(UTC)

Yeah, I have scanned the store names and seen the common location and other similar factors. What looks weird though is to see the same exact picture repeated 7 or 8 times in a row as different listings from the different names and sometimes VERY different prices on the same item. Perhaps there are several different people working in the same location and having their lots a different name and offering the same merch. I have read some begative feedbacks where buyers complain of a seller not having the item they had won. Perhaps two auctions in the same house for the same item took place among these different "siblings." With different names it could allow for better book keeping among, maybe even individual family members. Who gets credit for selling what kind of thing.
RugPro Offline
#28 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:20:52 AM(UTC)

Interesting point. I mean just because they have similar items, similar floors, you could even just chalk this up to the same building. Wholesalers are like this in NJ - maybe 15 or so different companies, all under the same roof. But you're right, I did see they seem to share goods, it must be quite hard to keep track of all these listings as things are. What I'm wondering is if these goods that are repeated are not exporter's stock photographs rather than the actual image. I assume it would save a great deal of time to just use an image already produced. What kind of goods are in all the stores? Are they new, old?

In the meantime, I thought you would find this interesting. It's one very similar to your avatar, although it appears to have some repair work and color issues.
KrowGyrl Offline
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:35:06 AM(UTC)

Oh yeah, that's cute. That same organic "landing pad" spine. As you point out, I wondered about the stock photos also. But I have found what I have recieved from them has always been exactly what I bid on, and yeah, that crossed my mind too so I went over them with a close eye to make sure it was the same. The only time I got a different rug than I had bid on, was one that I had gotten as, what's the right word, a nice servicable inexpensive rug for the booth. The booth has to have "impulse purchase" appeal so I need nice smalls that I can sell for a very reasonable price and still make a little. Well, the rug they sent me was the same size, but vastly superior and completely different, not even a similar design. So being the honest sort that I am I emailed them and told them about it. They told me to keep it if I wanted to and I said they needed to watch out for such mistakes. Their "story" was that they had low end floor packers who didn't pay much attention. So that ended well. Witht hat kind of quantity of rugs on the floor I can't imagine they don't make mistakes. And what about ABC Carpet and Home? I guess that place is for people who just have a spiggot of money and no "off" switch. The furniture is insane too, what they charge for what they are offering most of the time.
RugPro Offline
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:52:30 AM(UTC)

ABC is a pretty outrageous place. From the building to the prices. I have to say though, they do have some nice examples, and always have everything accurately labeled. The problem is the cost. I wonder if people know their prices are off the wall? Many of these NYC stores have such high overhead, I'm sure they're taking a hard hit with current conditions. Last time I went there it was pretty busy.

I won't ever forget browsing some rugs on the rack, and the salesman walked up and greeted me quite cordially. He then said "I noticed you are looking at the back of the rug, you should NEVER judge a piece by looking at the BACK of the rug." I almost fell down right there laughing. Of course, you have to dumb it down to see what their angle is, which is a little tough to do when you hear something completely outlandish. The thing is, ABC is a good safety for people in the city. Granted you pay 30%+ more than a fair market price, but you know what you're getting is pretty much what they say it is.... Although sales techniques can quite often dissolve the facts of being in the business.