Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rug Vendors get Innovative to Combat Tough Economy
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:28:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:19:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Great article. BLING DYNASTY! Instant classic.

I also think for the small seller, the new economy means more about seller-customer relations, creating the personal connection that makes your wares irresistable to buy. I have seen this in my own spending habits, even in relatively expensive items. This is why I think the whole experience where the person takes away something, ultimately whether they buy or not, is what is important. If they go away without buying, but you have planted a seed of desire within them for either your product or a piece of the environment you have created, you have them hooked. They will remember you long after they leave, and they will come back, they will find a way to come back.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:28:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

KrowGyrl wrote:
I also think for the small seller, the new economy means more about seller-customer relations, creating the personal connection that makes your wares irresistable to buy. I have seen this in my own spending habits, even in relatively expensive items. This is why I think the whole experience where the person takes away something, ultimately whether they buy or not, is what is important. If they go away without buying, but you have planted a seed of desire within them for either your product or a piece of the environment you have created, you have them hooked. They will remember you long after they leave, and they will come back, they will find a way to come back.

Excellent point, I couldn't agree more. On top of that, I think it's a good point to add the importance of information too. You don't want to bore them with too much, but it certainly helps to let them know specific [accurate] attributes an item may have, really adds to the romance of what these rugs may be about. I just wonder how this may be applied to the internet in general though - it's tough to really pull someone in sometimes with e-mail. I know from my experience, you never know who's serious and who's not, but you have to reply to everyone the way that's true to the philosophy you hold. Sometimes you don't hear from them again, but at least you've passed on valuable information which is always integral to the experience.
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:44:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Yes, yes, yes. The information, the (true) story, the whole ambience of what you are offering. Thi is why I am here, why I am taking the class, why I am getting so into all of this. As far as the internet, I don't know. It's not my major plan to sell on the internet. I'd rather sit down at Hell's Kitchen and see people eye to and and touch hands in a firm shake and share something that is bigger than what they think a carpet is. And I do hope to open a small store in the next year when I can find the right venue and all my other ducks are in a row. I know when I go to buy something, not retail, but antique, flea, etc. I want to buy something with a history and a story to it. Bit just a dead chunk. But I don't want a lie and I don't want "I think maybe ...." So I have to become the impeccable sort of seller I love to encounter. Blah, blah, blah. You know what I am saying. But I am truly convinced that in these times, the organic, living seller of beautiful things who is offering more than just merchandise with a price list is who will succeed and stay afloat. I have no desire to go to the Safavieh store. They look sterile and pretentious. Whatever "magic" they are selling along with the carpets is not for the soul and the heart, it's to impress. I am and hopefully have a little different clientele. :) (end of rant.)