Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

EBAY ITEM 300212944688
Tabriz Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:01:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:09:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

So are they ignorant or intentionally misleasding? And do you think "Art deco" is a recognizable catch-all term that people will respond to, clearly not knowing the aesthetics of the "Art deco" movement? I notice also that a LOT of the rugs sold last month as "Morroccan" (yes, mispelled) were called "Art Deco" as well.
Tabriz Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:15:35 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Yes, misleading and incorrect. I would say misleading peoples. Absolutely this catch all term as you say. I think Art Deco mainly was pre-1915, and most carpet before this time which has Art Deco such design would mainly be Chinese Peking type rug something more like this. It took quite some times before other countries interpreted these designs.

How do you see this ebay item they say is Art Deco. It's pretty rug, right? but I think maybe 40 years or so old.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:17:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Agreed, may not even be Moroccan, or "Morroccan" haha
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:31:17 AM(UTC)

How do you see this ebay item they say is Art Deco. It's pretty rug, right?>>>

Well I do not respond well to these nebulous terms, particularly when I know it's just tacked on to grab somebody's attention. They can say at a party ... "Oh, it's deco, ya know!" And they would look like a fool to anyone who knows Art deco. I think the rug, personally, if "okay" and that's about it, on appearance. It's kind of invisible. And sometimes you need that. And it would work well in a monochromatic room. I just bristle when I see these terms thrown around, and it's not just rugs, I see it in a lot of stuff on eBay and in the antique and junk shops and flea markets. But I have been kind of amused to see the plethora of "Art Deco" claimed items showing up. Like you say, each era has it's trendy movements. I call it the "Ming Vase Syndrome." Years ago everything that held flowers was called by somebody a "Ming Vase" even if it came from the junk shop and heedless to the fact that Mings go for millions of dollars. So now it's Art Deco's term. Deco will last because we are running out of old movements that pack more weight than just junk buying.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:40:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

KrowGyrl wrote:
I call it the "Ming Vase Syndrome." Years ago everything that held flowers was called by somebody a "Ming Vase" even if it came from the junk shop and heedless to the fact that Mings go for millions of dollars.

Classic... Do you have any regards for the Nichols Art Deco rugs yourself? I've never been a big fan personally, although they do seem to be quite timeless: Almost a rug market anomaly with their typical garish color palate.
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:53:21 AM(UTC)

Classic... Do you have any regards for the Nichols Art Deco rugs yourself?>>>

I know nothing about them. I have never been a fan of western decorative arts or tastes myself. I have paddled around with friends ion these fields but it never rubbed off. I'll have to Google it and take a look. My spin through the arts movements has always been fuelled by their place as historic markers and expressions. Just not my tastes. But I have noticed how these "isms" have been packaged as foils for social shilling of the roobs throughout time. Maybe we could come up with a Healing Snake Oil Carpet. Just walk on it and it will cure all your ills!