Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

new convert
jesco white Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:55:29 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I'm really glad I stumbled on to this place. There's some serious rug Jedi Maters who post on here. Good stuff.

I'm a recent convert and am in the consumption mode of devouring all rug related knowledge I can and start collecting. I've got one Kazak style rug that I'm pretty sure is a knock-off or machine made but I'm saving for a couple handmade ones.

Also I've got a contact in Afghanistan, a local, who's excited to do some rug shopping for me. And the real kicker is he can ship a rug or two to me at no cost.

So here's the question, if you could shop for any type of Afghan rug, paying local prices, and not have to pay for shipping which type of rug would you shop for? I'd love to hear some of you seasoned rug vets respond.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

jahannandsons Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:00:48 AM(UTC)

Welcome to the forum!

When shopping for Afghani rugs, if you can, I'd try and buy one that is a wool pile on a cotton foundation. A lot of Afghani rugs are woven on a wool foundation and sometimes they can buckle after being washed or when being used in humid areas. The problem can be fixed, but it is annoying, so it is easiest to just avoid it entirely.

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
jesco white Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:19:23 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the advice Jahann, I'll definitely take that into consideration. And what do you think about certain types/styles of Afghan rugs personally? Is there anything in particular you like?
jahannandsons Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 7:07:48 AM(UTC)

I've seen some new bijar styles coming out of Afghanistan lately that are very pleasing to the eye. The pattern may be called Bijar, Tabriz, Mahi, or Fish Design. It is a small repeating pattern tightly woven that looks quite nice. The thing about handmade rugs is that they last forever, so really, you should make sure you get something that you like.

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
ConchoBill Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 10:58:34 AM(UTC)

I have an Afgan Kazak rug on a wool foundation, and it has buckled. I think it is some kind of big prayer rug. We also have a super nice Afgan Kazak rug. Some of these are some of the nicest rugs you can get. You can see some of them on eBay. The really nice Afgan rug we have has an unusual design (it was purchased at a reputable shop and we paid enough for it).
jesco white Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 2:27:40 PM(UTC)

jahannandsons wrote:
I've seen some new bijar styles coming out of Afghanistan lately that are very pleasing to the eye. The pattern may be called Bijar, Tabriz, Mahi, or Fish Design. It is a small repeating pattern tightly woven that looks quite nice. The thing about handmade rugs is that they last forever, so really, you should make sure you get something that you like.

Jahann once again this is exactly the type of response I'm looking for. Thanks so much.

And some of those Tabriz rugs you mentioned are gorgeous. Wow. This one for instance is pretty mind-blowing.

http://www.spongobongo.c...Formal_Mahi_Pattern.htm

Does anyone know what I might pay for a 7x10 or so Tabriz from a local market or auction in Afghanistan?

Thanks again.
ConchoBill Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:53:32 PM(UTC)

I am looking forward to hearing about what you do in Afganistan. My youngest son may be going there as part of the Army soon. Be safe.
jesco white Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 4:51:54 PM(UTC)

I don't do anything in Afghanistan--it's an Afghan friend who was born/raised there but later immigrated to the US. He's now in Kabul working a few months a year.

His family knows a few local rug dealers and has bought rugs for their homes but nothing collectable or for export. I'm basically coaching him from what I'm learning on this site.

I'm interested to see what access he has to Bijar/Mahi patterned rugs. And I'm curious as to what prices he's able to get. Hopefully he can email me pictures/prices and all the experts on here can help me get the best rug for my money.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:30:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

welcome to the forum jesco! look forward to seeing some more of these pieces under consideration and will try and lend our best insight
jesco white Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 6:37:28 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the kind words RugPro. This forum is pretty amazing; the fact that it's interactive makes it more valuable in my mind than other Persian Rug websites. Plus there seems to be some incredibly knowledgeable folks on here.

We'll see what happens. My friend is an Afghan local and speaks the language which helps. But then again he doesn't have any knowledge so might be easily taken advantage of. I'm excited though, feels like an adventure.