Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Something Interesting However Moot
#1 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 2:17:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

My new interest in rugs appears permanent. Part of my foundation is you will. While I finally found and got my Jillyrug.....my interest remains and I now love looking at rugs online and learning more and more.

Few days ago, I came upon this really nice "antique" Sarouk.....actually, nicest old one I have seen, forget for the most part in amaizng shape....on eBay. I wanted to know details.....tho I could never be happier with a rug than I am with the new Jillyrug.

I emailed the vendor. He responded with a phone number and said to call. So earlier today, I did. His shop is in Conn and he lives in Queens. He is from Iran.

I asked questions after answering his, all of which were calculated to determine if I were a dealer and if I had money. While my people skills remain, rug shopping has changed me in that I am no longer as trusting as once.

He told me yes, as listed, he does repairs, I could even come watch. I asked him what a proper repair, rebuilding the section from the foundation up....not a sleazoid one, would be. He said $1,500. He added, only for I, Jill, CAUSE I am CLEARLY SO special and adorable (OMG, do these people work at AIG?).....this would even include a proper wash cause the rug needs it and also to get rid of the dog urine.

We discusses stuff.....I am moved to this to get a handle on who people are via ad hoc communication, always. I am interesting in individual humans.

I do not trust this person who waxed with pseudo anguish over the chincenry among rug dealers he said HE KNOWS HOW TO DEAL WITH..meaning the not him, DISHONEST ones.

But boy, was all this interesting! Hope others here might find it so as well.....and for any real rug person deailng in rugs, this puppy might be worth bidding on....I mean for someone who can do proper repairs themselves.

From what I have learned, if this Sarouk did not have the serious issue it does, it would be worth close to 5K.
Sarouk on eBay
Jilly attached the following image(s):
2009-03-22_190836.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 4:11:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Jilly. I would say 1940s could even be early 1960's+. All the yellowing may be dry rot. I would see the rug in person and see examples of his work in person if possible. Not that it's not trustworthy, it's just a good idea.

As for the value if it were in good condition, I would have to see the size of the knots. there's a big difference in prices for the qualities. but then again, the original or repaired price is somewhat irrelevant if we don't know the quality of work.
#3 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 6:04:03 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi!

Good thing I hcecked, I got no email notification. Plse get, i have my all time, ultimate rug. I luv it so much, I wish it weren't on the floor to get walked on.

But I am now also becoming a rug person.......I got bitten. I do not WANT this rug. But given everything, I was naturally interested in the specifics, ESP WHAT REPAIRS TO RUGS COST. tHIS man is a phony and desperate for money. I do not trust him. hE EVEN OFFERED, GIVEN WHERE i LIVE, TO bring me the rug TO SHOW IT IN PERSON. (omg, Noooooooo!!)

I also think you are right, that it is not a true "American" painted, almost antique Sarouk! But I think this is all VERY interesting and also felt someone here might like the details, in case they might have the skills to make a big repair. Cause it is well designed, with OK colors and MAINLY...almost full pile. It is still no way as gorgeous as my new rug!!!

This vendor also recently posted a strange, "Turkish" Sarouk style rug at no reserve......I looked just now, and it sold for like $370. It was filthy and mysterious. Also not ATTRACTIVE.

I just luv this stuff now. Rug Stuff. Part of this made me queasy cause it was disingenous on my part, as I knew I hadda represent myself as an actual shopper to get the info I was interested in getting. Which I am not.

Here is the other one......I was wrong, it sold for around $342. Again, I HAVE my ultimate rug....but now I just like rugs, seeing them, learning all about them....and the often gut wrenching realities of the industry.

Other Sarouk on eBay

#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:50:55 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi again

I am working but have another question......tho we must factor in this item has a long way to go in the auction, over a day. but factoring that in. there haven't been any bids so far.......why wouldn't someone out there with the esoteric skills to make a repair of this size, not bid on this thing? I mean, just to resell it?

I was interested in knowing what repairs cost......since just washing is, I learned here, apparently now so much, I had no clue......but why wouldn't someone do this? Get this thing for little money, do the repair if they are gifted enough to do that, and then sell the thing.

If I knew how to reweft and repile rugs....I WOULD DO IT, ok? Then.....I would sell it!

I also note, like so many of this genre, it has blue wefts.
Edit; In response to an email I just received from someone here, it should be clear to all that the above post addressed the same carpet which generated this thread: the ebay Sarouk in need of serious repair I was curious about and discussed with the vendor for the reasons I shared.
Moreover, the above could only have come to the fore later in the auction when there are astill no bids on this carpet, it could not have been included in my initial post.

I hope all this is now clear.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:22:26 AM(UTC)

What are your specific questions and for which item
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:08:41 AM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
What are your specific questions and for which item

Hi,

Again, I am agian referring to the rug which generated this thread:
Sarouk on eBay

(I only pasted a link to the other one to illustrate what this vendor offers given i feel it adds info.)

As we see and as I wrote, this rug, even assuming it is not form the 20s or 30s, is a good rug. It has almost full pile, good design for the genre, and, from the blue wefts, I think it is Persian. It also qneeds what I think is a major repair. i am clueless about these things, and that is what interested me. On the phone, givne he sAID IN THE POST, he does exdpert repairs, he said, for a proper repair---not just removeing the junk on the duct tape attempt and seucring the bad part, but a proper repair involving rebuilding the rug in that place.....would be $1,500.

Next, as if 5 mins ago, there are still no bids on the rug.....tho even now, there is a day to go.

Given all of the above, I am wondering why someone skilled in repairing hand knotted rugs.....I mean I know it is esoteric but also not rocket science.....why wouldn't someone with that skill not try to get this rug at very low price, do the repair and resell it? Like for 3K?

To me, this is a no brainer. Again, if I knew how, I, JILL WOULD SO DO THAT!!!!

I am sure a real rug repair person would know what is involved and why nobody is bidding on this rug WITH THAT IN MIND.....and I am missing information. That is why I posted that last post. I am intensely, LOGICALLY curious about what I am missing.....and I wanna learn, it is FASCINATING.

What would be involved in such a repair? How many hours would be involved? How hard could it be? Surely there are rug repair people out there who immediately thought of this, right? If not, WHY NOT? Given the reality of the piece....I have learned about these as we know, ISN'T IT A NO BRAINER? I mean just from a business point of view?

Not sure if Joe Nevo makes repairs, but it even struck me why wouldn't HE try to get this rug for very little and do that?
Edit: by the way, should it help, I asked Wally what he thought caused that area of damage in need of repairing, he said he was sure it was water damage.
another edit: I see what I am looking for is something ro read, maybe with images, even videos......to teach me about these repairs. What are the basics, if a loom is necessary or some device to stabilize......how long things take, tho they are no doubt entirely individual......this is how my brian works. I am rabidly, seriously interested and many, many things are involved.

All I could find was this:
http://www.oldcarpet.com/how_to_repair.htm

I also wanna know, of course, just to KNOW.....how did Wally come up with this number, $1,500??? That involves the specifics, another integrity issue about the industry.....academic data, historical and all things related. All learning has ripple effects infinitely.

Then, there was that famous, giant ancient rug in the V & A in the UK......whose twin was sacrificed to augment its repair. This is how my brain works. Also why I am a researcher & writer. For me.....it's normal.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:06:55 PM(UTC)

the photos shown for this rug indicate this rug may not be a good candidate for repair. 1500 may be okay if the rug could be had for beans, but still, the areas shown with damage are not the only areas of concern

There are three main problem areas I see.

1: Yellowed area in lower left: This area is enough to raise suspicion. It is large, perhaps 20% of the rug. may indicate water damage or dry areas. Provided this is a stain, aesthetically, not great. As for fixing this, there's no real way to get it close to the colors of the field if it's flood damage.

2: Splits and other areas with duct tape or needing attention: For a rug like this, minimal investment. Problems seen in the images should really be seen in person to evaluate the extent. Reweaving may be warranted, but again, it's not the only area of this rug which has a problem. Do note, these ripped areas are NOT the same area as what appear as the yellow area.

it may be a great buy for repair patches, or for a rug to enjoy close to as-is condition. Some minor repairs may be warranted to secure loose areas, but re-weaving is not a good idea unless purchased after seeing the final product for a rug of this type.

The above is not to say it's not worth purchasing as there is good value in the piece, but I would not chase it down with a lot of money to have repaired unless the repairs had already been made. If it were in seemingly better condition, I would say jump on it with the No Reserve Auction
RugPro attached the following image(s):
yellowed border.jpg
yellow-sarouk-problem.jpg
yellow-sarouk-problem2.jpg
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:16:26 PM(UTC)
Groups:

OMG....it Now appears, I missed important stuff!!!! Now I understand why nobody thought of buying it for little, repairing it themselves and selling it.

But on the phone, Wally said, while there is dog urine he said he could easily clean.....the area in question in the image is the only problematic area in need of repair. So this may be yet another case of misrepresentation.

But Pro.....seeing all you did, I guess my intense curiosity re why wouldn't someone who can do repairs buy this, do that... and sell i for 3Kt---I even thought perhaps someone a member HERE......has been answered. It did also strikes me,but only NOW.... given this Wally does repairs.....how come HE did not do all that himself?

Thanks, Pro. As usual....you gotta get ALL the info to understand things.
Addendum: agian----and who ought know this better than you? I am not interested in BUYING A RUG......I have my DREAM rug. But now......along with all the other, almost infinite things I am rabidly interested in......rugs have taken their place. I go places and now.....I NOTICE THEM..when possible pick up a corner and look at their undersides! I do not care people find it a little strange, lol
Just must add this: I learn to do things nobody can understand.....even I can't sometimes. But it's all an adventure. When I had time, I used to knit, sew, I am very handy. It even struck me for 7 seconds of excitement maybe I, Jill cold actually learn and do this!!!!1 I can knit, sew, fix and make almost anything and I luv doing those things...I make the time4....put it right and then sell it! I asked the price of the repair to try to get some sense of how hard it might be. But that din work. lol Also, i have no proper room to do Something like this......and I would never let that thing as it is now near MY RUG.

I also found this:
http://www.balds.com/Rug_School.htm

It was a total fantasy......but it was also fun.
Nathan K. Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:19:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Well, the rug is indeed an "American" Sarouk, from between World Wars 1&2, but ask yourself why a dealer who also does repairs and can "easily" wash and re-dye the urine stains HAS DONE NEITHER? 1. Cost of repair exceeds value (in today's market) of the repaired rug (IMO he underestimated the repair costs). 2. If washing, sanitizing and re-dying were easy, he would have done so before listing it. He is either overstating his abilities or the effort required is not worth it. I suspect the former - decontaminating urine damaged rugs is extremely labor intensive, involving long soaking times and/or hundreds (if not thousands) of gallons of water...

NK
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:27:09 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Nathan K. wrote:
Well, the rug is indeed an "American" Sarouk, from between World Wars 1&2, but ask yourself why a dealer who also does repairs and can "easily" wash and re-dye the urine stains HAS DONE NEITHER? 1. Cost of repair exceeds value (in today's market) of the repaired rug (IMO he underestimated the repair costs). 2. If washing, sanitizing and re-dying were easy, he would have done so before listing it. He is either overstating his abilities or the effort required is not worth it. I suspect the former - decontaminating urine damaged rugs is extremely labor intensive, involving long soaking times and/or hundreds (if not thousands) of gallons of water...

NK

Hi, Nathan,

I did, in fact, as per my last post above, FINALLY get to the RHETORICAL YOU got to IMMEDIATELY. Just took me several months longer, is all. lol. Dancing All I saw was what it was, at least I got that right, thought, how hard could it be to fix this for a handy person who learns fast, it would be FUN....who needs sleep? And then, sell it for decent money!

I am embarrassed. Clearly, since not one person wanted it, even for ten dollars plus shipping.....my smarts, hardly for the first time, got trumped by my O Boy, O Wow, wut fun..... imagination.

Being a novice, and having been bitten by the rug bug, and now having my DREAM rug....made me see what the rug is but also think, with re-wefting and repiling what I thought was and he said was one area, it could be restored to its former splendor and re sold. I also thought the oranges & salmons in the border were really nice, even stypical within the genre, and would make it more salable. Thank God I am not in the rug business, right? lol

See this? It IS all about LEARNING.
I appreciate yr detailed embellishment. When I was on the phone with him and asked what he would charge for a proper repair since he made that offer in his listing, and he said $1,500, I yelped. I had no clue, no reference and that was the first thing I was itnerested in....only repair I ever had done was new fringes on my inherited Sarouk.....which, I learned here, I should not have done anyhow; I din know little ratty but original is preferable; I adored the new and perfectly done little fringes. Ignorance is bliss but only for so long, right?

I feel so happy I was moved to get a rug in essentially perfect condition!

Thanks also for the data on urine damage! I had NO CLUE. But just intuitively, along with asking everyone to take their shoes off now---everyone hates this---I also tell everyone please, do NOT PEE on my new dream RUG. lol We can see just from this, I am learning and have potential, right? Dancing

Nathan K. Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:34:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

There are NO stupid questions in the rug biz, Jilly. Intelligent people (like you!) who want to learn more should ask a lot of them. The funny thing is, he was advising you to repair/clean at retail prices, something he was unwilling to repair/clean at wholesale. Can you say red flag? :)
As far as being a rug retailer, I'd suck at it too. For the most part, I like antiques, tribals, and antique reproductions. Unfortunately, most these days seem to be fixated on inexpensive (dare I say "disposable"?) rugs from the big box stores. These are the same folks who build a 2M home and then furnish it from Costco. My "more money than they know what to do with it" customers are spending 20K+ on exotic fiber, virtually uncleanable Stark rugs that their interior designer sold them on, instead of, say, a Woven Legends or Miri antique repro that would take your breath away AND still be cleanable when the kid's milkshake or a coke goes down...
When you & I get money we're gonna be dangerous! ;)

NK
netjim Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:17:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:44:19 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Nathan K. wrote:
There are NO stupid questions in the rug biz, Jilly. Intelligent people (like you!) who want to learn more should ask a lot of them. The funny thing is, he was advising you to repair/clean at retail prices, something he was unwilling to repair/clean at wholesale. Can you say red flag? :)
As far as being a rug retailer, I'd suck at it too. For the most part, I like antiques, tribals, and antique reproductions. Unfortunately, most these days seem to be fixated on inexpensive (dare I say "disposable"?) rugs from the big box stores. These are the same folks who build a 2M home and then furnish it from Costco. My "more money than they know what to do with it" customers are spending 20K+ on exotic fiber, virtually uncleanable Stark rugs that their interior designer sold them on, instead of, say, a Woven Legends or Miri antique repro that would take your breath away AND still be cleanable when the kid's milkshake or a coke goes down...
When you & I get money we're gonna be dangerous! ;)

NK

The above, marvelous, pithy and crisp. Not necessarily in that order, tho. lol I would not even buy a big box from a big box store,OK? As for decorators-stylists and related members of this predatory, exploitative ilk....including those who derive their image of upscale/cache from Architectural Digest.....any being, and we are each unique, bypassing the heady joy of learning while evolving the specifics of their own "drummer" is sacrificing the nuclear adventure of being alive.

Again, Lord save us from au courant and a la mode.

Never having heard of those, I just Googled stark rugs:
http://www.homeportfolio...et/Rugs/Area_Rugs.jhtml

Uncleanable is a deal breaker.....but absent a soul, perhaps even more. It boggles, it does.
Edit: I have few compunctions about being who I am with my deficit and ignorances, I believe false pride is the sin, not actual pride--forget, how else can we learn otherwise? It was that I actually saw myself fixing that rug with my skinny little hands and then selling it.....that was the embarrassing part, OK? Tho my default attitude is "why not?" and then happily commence, and it has accomplished things that amaze even Jill.

But there are LIMITS. Esp in the esoteric realm of repairing RUGS. Tho also true: my business sense is not simply abysmal.....it is absent. lol
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:47:55 PM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
Applause Applause

Applause Applause Applause
RugPro Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:51:02 PM(UTC)

Nathan's got punch! really good points and well said.

I do have to say, I am somewhat surprised that a dealer would not have picked that rug up for patches and/or reduction. The field minor border out could be removed, edges surged, and warps released for fringe. Not the easiest process, but certainly would have had some potential in resale.
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:50:26 AM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
Nathan's got punch! really good points and well said.

I do have to say, I am somewhat surprised that a dealer would not have picked that rug up for patches and/or reduction. The field minor border out could be removed, edges surged, and warps released for fringe. Not the easiest process, but certainly would have had some potential in resale.

But then it would have been another amputation rug!!!!! I had an insane fun fantasy for coupla days....I have romantic attachments to these rugs and want to fix them. Goes back to my early childhood. I even wanted to fix the necrotic Mitchell one. I see what they were originally.

Poor thing. Might make a nice purse. lol OK wait......if someone could get around the dog urine part.....would also make a nicer carrier for one of those status-generated mini canines!!!