Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

El Paso_Pete
El Paso_Pete Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:34:22 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello all and thank you for all the help on the last rug posted. This one should be a bit more interesting. I recently purchased a 54 x 34" Persian Prayer Rug from an estate sale in El Paso, Texas. The rug is made from wool and silk and is faded, but in good condition. Support patches have been sewn to the back for hanging (which it was-hanging, near a window, when I bought it). There are two marks on the back and the fringe is uneven. Of equal interest, is that the rug provenance was also provided (original bill of sale, the insurance for shipment, and the shipping notice from Lebanon). The rug was purchased from Abdulkarim Dandal and Sons, Allenby Street, No. 145, Beirut, Lebanon on Nov.11, 1968 for $195 dollars (620 Lebanese Lbs). That being said, I am unsure on the age of the rug- are the patterns and wearve consistent with 1960s or is the rug older? While the documentation is great, I am wondering if the community can provide a bit more detail, and of course, an assessment on value. Front and back posted along with detail photos. Thank you in advance and I await your input! Peter
El Paso_Pete attached the following image(s):
image 1.jpg
image 2.jpg
image 3.jpg
image 4.jpg
image 5.jpg
image 6.jpg
image 7.jpg
image 1.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

nick Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:23:11 AM(UTC)

Hi Pete
looks like a Turkish kayseri rug to me
have feeling it maybe art silk could be wrong
El Paso_Pete Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 8:37:34 AM(UTC)

Good morning Nick-thank you for taking a look at the rug and for your information! I've had a bit more time to look at the design and tend to agree with the Kayseri designation, which caused some concern (that being said, I am still a novice, but learning little by little). As far as the art silk- I admit, I don't see much that I identify as true silk. The strands are cotton. That being said, in your opinion, do you think that this rug is contemporaneous with the date of purchase (late 1960s)? Or, are we looking at an earlier date (e.g., 1940s?). Finally, the question everyone has, any thoughts on value? Thank you again for your time and insight- I truly appreciate it. Please let me know if you/forum would benefit from additional photographs. Pete
nick Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:50:41 PM(UTC)

Hi
pete
my guess is this rug was made in the 1970s it show no real age to me
El Paso_Pete Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 8:49:11 PM(UTC)

Hi Nick, or at least made in 1968. Sigh, I'm older than this rug. Well, perhaps it will make someone happy down the road. Again, I appreciate your help and your expertise. I think it would greatly help if I were able to access forum insight before I buy a rug..perhaps a help line or a bat sign (joking). Or perhaps a bit more caution on my part. Well if anyone else wants to join the foray, please do- I appreciate any information and love to learn about rugs. Nick, thank you again. Pete
KAD Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:41:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Turkish Kayseri, so called "flosh" silk - viscose pile
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

El Paso_Pete Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:18:49 AM(UTC)

Good morning KAD, thank you for your input! The pile has a slightly musky smell similar to wool, but not the stronger smell that I would expect from a pure wool rug. Could the pile be a blend of natural and man made fibers (e.g., flosh silk synthetic, and wool)? Or, do you think the rug is completely made from synthetic materials? I suppose I could burn test a small piece of fiber and see what the result is.

Also, let me rephrase my value question to the forum. If this rug is made from synthetic materials, is there any real market value? I'm not really looking for $ amount-although, please feel free to throw one out if you want. I realize that my question may be a moving target, but thought I would ask. Again, thank you all for your time and input! Pete
nick Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:59:28 AM(UTC)

Hi Pete
keep it out of the sun as it will fade real easy
if it was my rug i would ask £80.00 for it sorry they don't sell very well although they are hand made