Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

quite beautiful, yet I have a BAD feeling!
Flingo Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 12:44:43 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

This is by far my very favorite carpet I would love to purchase. I apologize, my pictures are not fantastic. Since I am considering returning all of these I needed to roll this one up because of my puppy. I did not want her to damage it and make it so I could not send it back. I was told this is "investment quality turkish" and that it will increase in value the longer I have it. I was also told this rug has a market value of $15,000. As beautiful as the colors are in it I believed it. It does seem a very nice quality to me, obviously, I know nothing about making a purchase such as this!!!

metric sizes: 3.70 x 2.80

A friend that knows carpets better than I told me they believe this is Indian. The price I was quoted to pay for this one is $8,500.... I must question this too.

This one I am also interested in more information on. I was wanting to use it in my family room which is a very high traffic area. I was told this would be perfect there because of the high quality it can withstand all the use and actually benefits from it.Brick wall
File Attachment(s):
Rug 5 back quarter 2.jpg (1,441kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Flingo attached the following image(s):
Rug 5 back quarter.jpg
Rug 5 front fringe.jpg
Rug 5.jpg
Rug 5 back edge 2.jpg
Rug 5 back edge.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:32:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would have to see better photographs, but it seems as though the wool may be slightly healthier in this rug than the Chinese.

Again, across the board it seems like this sellers prices are too high. This is an Indian rug. Nice rug, but if these rugs are what I think they are, this seller's prices are out of line.
Flingo Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 5:14:01 PM(UTC)

I will try and get better photos in the afternoon with better lighting, I apologize about these photos, it is a stunning carpet, it truly is.

I am wondering what you mean by the wool slightly healthier than the chinese, how do you determine the difference in wools? I better research the forum further! THANKS!

OH, measurements are: 12'2" x 9'2"
Flingo Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 5:43:23 PM(UTC)

ok, now I am really going to come across "dumb". I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and can not download the pics. There must be a bit of a trick to it? Any suggestions? THANKS!
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:29:08 PM(UTC)

Determining the quality of wool takes seeing a lot of different rugs. It's extremely hard to tell from a photograph, some may say practically impossible. Its not only about looking at the wool, because this can be very deceptive, it's about feeling it and inspecting very close. There are cases where you can clearly see better wool, but they're much, much less frequently found.

It seems like this has a bit more sheen. It may be semi-worsted wool but I cannot say for sure as sometimes rugs are also washed to bring out luster.

As for value, I would say general area of $3,250 to $4500 for an Indian Rug of this type provided it is a soft, semi-worsted wool. If it's a lower grade wool: reduce by 25-40% as knot count is somewhat low as well.
Flingo Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 3:47:39 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the ballbark. It is about what I was thinking considering all I have been learning.

So do you think something like this would hold up reasonably well in high traffic? I know, hard to tell by the photos, just looking for an opinion or advice. THANKS!
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 6:03:31 AM(UTC)

should be okay. in my experience rugs with denser knot count and firm wool tend to hold up best.

the biggest problem with wear and traffic is not the actual use of the rug, it's the rubber soles of shoes and dirt and grit that get worn into the pile..

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Premature-Wear-of-Oriental-Rugs.aspx