Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Turkish or Chinese? REAL market value?
Flingo Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 10:59:12 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello! I would appreciate any help you can offer. I believe I am being made to be a complete foold'oh! Can you please help me with this? I will be making several posts. I am looking for the fair value, origin, handmade, etc. I am well aware ignorance may be bliss, yet I must know for sure. I appreciate any and all help with these carpets I will be posting. THANK YOU!
File Attachment(s):
Rug 3 Front.jpg (1,521kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Rug 3 Back.jpg (1,416kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Rug 3 pile from top of rug pic.jpg (1,342kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Flingo attached the following image(s):
rug 3 tag.jpg
Rug 3 edge from back side.jpg
Rug 3 fringe from back side bottom of rug pic.jpg
Rug 3 fringe from back side top of rug pic.jpg
Rug 3 back side with quarter.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:03:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

welcome to the forum. we cant really say what the exact value of something is unless seeing it in person, but what rug specifically are you referring to?
Flingo Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:14:12 AM(UTC)

Sorry, this is so quick and I am not....I have attached all the pictures. I understand the exact value can not be quoted, I would just like to know what a fair price to pay for this carpet is and if it is even one worth buying! I have several more I will be posting in hopes to educate myself and others. Once again, many, MANY thanks in advance. I have a very big appreciation for honesty.

RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:21:56 AM(UTC)

hmm, to me this looks pakistani or chinese. how large is it and how much is the seller asking
Flingo Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:33:12 AM(UTC)

In meters: 1.78 x 1.16 = 2.06

They want $1,500 for it and I believe that may be about 3 times too much!
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:38:22 AM(UTC)

where are you located? They didn't cite country of origin?
Flingo Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:43:26 AM(UTC)

I'm in US, I was told it is Turkish, I have since been told it is not and am beginning to believe it. I'm thinking I should not be purchasing this for their asking price and want to know if I do decide on it, what a fair price to pay would be.
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:48:00 AM(UTC)

It is not turkish to my eye. That's about the last origin I would attribute this. I'm not sure where these rug is being sold, but from my experience, this is a very high price. It looks to me to be either Chinese or Pakistani. I'm leaning toward Pakistani by weave, and chinese by design. both may sometimes have similar characteristics.

Either way, given what i have seen from the photographs and the size stated, it appears that this price is highly inflated. Given the seller does not seem to provide accurate information about the rug, and the price seeming to be higher than fair retail market value, i would stay away.
Flingo Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:05:43 PM(UTC)

I would find it most helpful if you could give me a ballpark of the fair retail market value. It was suggested to me that $500 is a fair price. Given the dishonesty of the seller I have severe reservations about even paying this amount. My concern if I do keep this carpets is if they are nice quality. I know I should have done this research before I allowed these to come to my house. I was so excited about buying some of these and the seller was very convincing. Even allowing me to "try them out" first!
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:43:53 PM(UTC)

You mentioned on one of the other rugs that a friend mentioned the rug was Indian. Has this person mentioned anything about "ballpark?"

Usually I would not give a ballpark, but given this seems like an unfortunate situation, I would be willing to do so provided you agree to the following

- Any "values" I would place on a rug are is just my opinion, and my opinion only.
- An accurate assessment should be made in person to properly evaluate and assign "value."
- estimates for each rug are providing they are in perfect condition with no problems.
- price ranges are not to be used for anything outside of being a point of negotiating reference. don't take them for actual values, or other

If you would like more accurate info, i highly suggest waiting to act before consulting with others in the field.

is the above okay with you?
Flingo Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 5:11:42 PM(UTC)

Your stipulations are perfectly fine by me. I completely understand that you are not giving an actual appraisal or estimate. I am simply looking for an idea of fair value. I would also like an idea on the quality such as, poor, acceptable, good, above average, excellent....if you are willing to do such a thing.

Yes, the friend that mentioned the one was Indian did give me an idea of what a fair price is. I'm willing to post their opinion on the price if necessary. I would like to add that I am in NO WAY, giving out names or references of where I am obtaining this information. What I am doing is gathering OPINIONS from others that I feel are experts in the rug and carpet business.

I am simply wanting to know a fair market value as an opinion. I also believe this might help others who examine these pictures in determining quality and value. I have learned so much by researching your website and a couple others I have found.

And I assume you are telling me, don't follow through on this purchase until I have learned more from others with more knowledge than myself? This is where I am at with these carpets. I'm ready to return them all unless the seller is willing to renegotiate fairly with me. THANKS AGAIN! ANd I am listing measurements on all in feet and inches, sorry about that, I thought metric would be what was wanted. I really am a novice, huh?

This one measures 5'10" x 3'8"
RugPro Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:09:08 PM(UTC)

From my experience, I feel somewhat comfortable calling this a 160 line Chinese rug although as stated before, it could be a Pakistani weave I somewhat doubt it now a bit.

Before going much further, I just want to paint a little clearer of a picture of what Rug Rag uses for terminology. This is somewhat subjective in the industry, but without going into too much detail....

sellers and department stores often put highly inflated prices on tags and call them "retail value." generally speaking Rug Rag figures these to more often than not be closer to a "replacement value" rather than a "retail value" although those in the industry may differ somewhat.

I've been instructed to go by what's called "fair retail market value" which is the price of an item after sales discounts and negotiations are done. A Fair Price for a Retail Location. People play with numbers too much, and it's insulting to reputable sellers.

Another problem with assigning value to some of these newer rugs has a great deal to do with the fluctuating dollar value, labor rates, and costs of materials. I've been out of the business myself sometime now, although I do keep up with things, they do change frequently. Prices also have a lot to do with location. A rug found at ABC new york is more often than not going to sell at a higher average price than a rug in more remote areas.

Bottom line, in my opinion, fair retail market value for a rug like this would be in the vicinity $600-950 in new condition. Of course if the retailer is having some spectacular sale, this could be lower, or it could be higher too. I have seen these on the internet for more than this marked price, so I'm sure there are and have been people who pay significantly more.

As for the quality, it's tough to say whether it's good, average, above average, etc. a lot of this has to do with the wool. The wool doesn't look spectacular like a kurk wool or other, but it doesn't appear to be dead wool. You can't say too much about the feel of the wool from photographs, but it seems like this is a decent quality rug overall.

Flingo Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 3:57:22 AM(UTC)

Again, THANK YOU! The ballpark figure I am looking for is what you are stating I believe. I want to know what a fair price is to pay, not the actual tag price as I know it is much higher. I guess if we were talking cars, I am asking for the range it could be purchased, not the sticker price on the window.

I also understand it is very difficult to say the quality of the wool. I am "assuming" that the better made the rug is the more likely it is to have finer materials. WOuld this be a fair assumption? I do not see how someone could weave a very nice piece and use substandard materials.

Then again, I bought the seller's story hook, line and sinker! ALthough he will surely be looking at me as the "big one that got away"!
RugPro Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 6:11:12 AM(UTC)

The assumption that a finer rug would generally be made with better fibers is not a bad one, but there are exceptions.

I have seen some unbelievable quality wool in 56 KPSI rugs, and mohair used for 100 kpsi. Also have seen 250 kpsi rugs made with wool that was horrible: dry and crispy.

In some cases, the use of inferior wool may be the only choice of the weaver. Certainly it's harder to work with , but somehow coarse weaving materials make it into a surprising number of rugs

www.rugrag.com/post/Wool...al-Rugs-and-Carpets.aspx