Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New Local Sarouk
#1 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 1:35:32 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Found this on Craiglist coupla days ago; midtown East; family rug.

http://newyork.craigslis...mnh/fuo/1011761431.html

Much more garish in painting than mine, right size, not a dealer. I am going to see it first opportunity Monday, that is the earliest I can go.

First response:

Hi Jill,

I really know nothing about these rugs. This rug was purchased by my grandfather in the '30s and used in my dads room. Eventually it was in my parents room until recently. I was told its worth 5 - 10k but wouldn't know where to sell it. My parents know of no repairs. Your welcome to come by and look at it. I'm on 47th bet 2nd and 3rd.

Rob

If it's really OK, given his asking price, I would think it would be gone by now.....based on what dealer gave me for mine, which was far more special, both in colors and field pattern, like 6 years ago. I just mailed to see if it was sitll available,he has my phones & address... he replied form his Blackberry:

Someone from VA wants to send a friend from NJ to see it this weekend. If they like it, she will than want me to ship it. Sounds difficult. Call me monday and u r welcome to come by. I'm usually home by 6.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
-_____________________________________________

I can feel he's an honest guy. Any thoughts?

Edit: Ok I am worn down to the wefts, but I think he first posted this at 1,500. i now just saw it says 1,200. I have NO CLUE. Now, less than ever.

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 2:03:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

It just seems a bit newer. private party should be low.

when someone enters what they're told these are worth, more often than not they've received advisement from someone. If they want to sell quick, they'll retract the idea of staying in the upper side of any price bracket they've been told. They could spend weeks, months and sometimes years trying to get top dollar as an individual seller. if they want to sell quick, let them know you are ready and willing to pay immediately, but at your price.
#3 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 3:33:36 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
It just seems a bit newer. private party should be low.

When someone enters what they're told these are worth, more often than not they've received advisement from someone. If they want to sell quick, they'll retract the idea of staying in the upper side of any price bracket they've been told. They could spend weeks, months and sometimes years trying to get top dollar as an individual seller. if they want to sell quick, let them know you are ready and willing to pay immediately, but at your price.

Thanks Pro (for a change); I kinda felt, a really decent local, vintage Sarouk at good price.....would have been gone very fast. I will need to see the puppy, and again, bring my evil little Nikon., again also based on my personal experience with mine, and all I have tried to learn in recent weeks.
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:58:19 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Feb 12th Update:

Wut did I say? Rug no good. Just saw he still has not sold this rug. I knew it was waste of time to even go look at it. Antique Sarouk, ideal room size in "nice condtion' for 1,200 asking price? STILL NOT SNAPPED UP? Common. Before I told him I was not coing, he wrote me that someone in Virginia had seen the listing who luvs vintage sarouks, They were sending someone from HJ to check it out. I just sensed it was not good.

And not re the price. I would not take a bad one for free. I ain kiddin.