Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Question on knots
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:37:16 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

This is a question for my continuing education as well as info on rug. The pictures from the silk indian rug made my ask these questions.
I previously asked a question about this same rug on whether it was silk or mercurized cotton. My feelings was it was wool with silk highlights.

My other questions is the knots seem different than other rugs I've seen. It is also a little "harder" on the back. However, itt doesn't have the hard, plastic feel of a machine rug.

One, is the knotting a non-Persian knot, b) simply a poorer workmanship knot, or am I over analizing. Second, be it mercurized cotton or silk, on a rug that has never been used such as this, does the back have a more stiff characteristics. Thanks, again have not idea the origin of this rudoes
File Attachment(s):
afghanquarter.jpg (1,234kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
afghfull.jpg (1,842kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
afghansmcorner.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:01:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Btuma

the last two photos I think you're testing us! maybe I can't see past my nose :)

faux silk has a tendency to be slippery. it doesnt spin as well as wool or even regular silk. Because of this, it doesn't stay wrapped around warps as easy. sometimes they use a light starch or glue to keep them fixed and wrapped in place. you see this in art silk highlights much more often than anything else, although it could be real silk it wouldn't be as common/expected
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:20:32 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

No I wasn't testing you, the last two pictures are just bad. I sent one to remind you of the rug, and one to show the corner knotting.
I guess my confusion is I thought the rug was wool, although it feels softer/luxurious than any wool I've felt. I am used to a much lower pile with silk, and this has a full depth pile. Fromyour statements the complete rug could be faux silk? Again, I'm not giving you much info so I realize you can' t definately state anything.

On the other silk rugs I've seen the knots are very fine and precise. Obviously, this rug has neither fine and some knots are irregular in height. I read somewhere, maybe on this site. that faux silk can have a lower kpsi count. Is that another hint?

Thanks again.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:37:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

lol, i cant recall 100%, but I thought certain areas of this rug had highlights, no? i think i did mention- a faux silk rug would be counterproductive to weave in higher kpsi, but even some nain rugs with very high knot count, say up to 400 or so could have faux silk highlights. did you test the areas by pulling a knot from the rougher areas? it could be that the entire rug was starched and blocked to correct irregular shape. this is sometimes seen in runners.

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Starched-Rugs-The-Straight-Truth.aspx