Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

When Does a Variation From Rectangular Pass From Being Acceptable to Being Wrong
bialy Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:43:13 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Tribal rugs can’t be expected to be perfect in their dimensions, but I’m wondering about a piece recently purchased from a reputable US importer. It’s nominally an 8’ X 9’9” that appears odd.
The fringed (width) dimension is 95.25” on the right, 97.25” in the middle and 97” on the left: a 1.75” slope from the midpoint to one end. The length is 118” on one end, 118” in the middle and 121” on the other—a three inch slope that occurs from mid-rug to one end. Even to the naked eye, there is a slope, especially in the length. Making matters more obvious, the rug sits on a floor of foot-square tiles with grout lines that create a rigid grid. I can move a couch to disguise some of the problem, but wonder whether this is a normal irregularity, or is a significant production flaw that should be brought to the seller’s attention.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Sharafi & Co Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 11:47:07 AM(UTC)

I think this is a matter of taste and opinion. For me that sort of variation for a rare piece that is very rustic maybe acceptable. At the end of the day I believe the rule is if you see it and you think it looks charming and looks good then it is good but if it disturbs you then it is not good. Otherwise there is no hard and fast rule
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
bialy Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 1:33:50 PM(UTC)

Except, this is a modern rug that because the importer/dealer didn't u have one in stock, was done for me. It isn't antique. The production took 12 months. Does this change your view?
Sharafi & Co Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 1:42:41 PM(UTC)

Ok I am a bit confused now. What type of rug is it. Do you understand correctly that you ordered this rug to a certain specification and then you got this.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
bialy Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 5:34:32 PM(UTC)

Sorry to be confusing. The rug is a contemporary handknotted piece that was ordered in an 8' x 10' format, and was marked when it arrived at my home as 8' x 9'9." It was a custom order, since the importer/dealer did not have that particular rug in the size I requested. The production and shipment from Pakistan took almost 12 months.
When I was sent a photo of the rug before it was shipped, I emailed the dealer that one end looked to have a curve and I wondered if this was just a distortion from the picture or a real issue, but the dealer in response seemed to think I was talking about color irregularities, which I was not (I'm happy with the abrash aspect of the rug). He did not address the size issue.
The rug is gorgeous--as the dealer wrote me when it came in--but if I can compare it to a gorgeous woman, this girl has a limp.
Thanks for any perspective you can offer as a dealer.
Best wishes,
Steve Horwitz

Sharafi & Co Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 5:47:16 PM(UTC)

I have not seen the piece nor do I know the ins and outs of it. I doubt a rug coming out of Pakistan is tribal. However, from what you are saying a variation of up to 10% is acceptable in some cases, as long as the integrity of the rug is not compromised. From what you are saying you should not have accepted the piece as the piece you had ordered. Seems like a bit of a shambles.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com
bialy Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 6:10:29 PM(UTC)

When I said "tribal," it was simply shorthand for not a city rug. It is not a traditional tribal product. So, if the rug comes out of a western-oriented source that produces rugs for a single US importer, is your 10% variation rule applicable, or is this only for pieces made in a truly tribal system?
Best,
Steve Horwitz

PS Your own site incites envy.
Sharafi & Co Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 3:58:52 AM(UTC)

The 10% is not a rule, which is why I qualified it. When you order a bespoke handmade rug, especially if it is natural dyes then there is a tolerance in colour that you should expect. This is usually in the contract and with natural dyes it could be as much as 20%. But that is only for colour and usually it is almost the same colour that you have seen. The length and width is usually with in 5cm at most again it is put in the contract. However if it is crooked or does not lie flat or any other TECHNICAL fault then you have the option of not taking the piece. To be quite honest we would not offer that piece to the client in the first instance. It sounds as if first of all the production of this piece has taken a long time. Here I am assuming that it is standard quality and not overly big. This suggests that they had problems with it from the outset.
First Floor, unit 9
1 Chandos Road
London NW10 6NF
UK
www.sharafiandco.com