Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Found Rug - one man's...
architect66 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:14:27 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

On my street in brownstone Brooklyn, I found a rug that someone left curbside - presumably to be picked up by sanitation. It is now sitting in my vestibule, in a plastic bag. There are no odors, or apparent bugs, but my wife insists. We'll probably clean it and try to sell it, but we don't know what it is, or what it could be worth. We may also be able to find a place for it in our home - once it is properly cleaned. At first, we didn't care for the color or the pattern, but it is kind of growing on us.

In any case, here is my best attempt at a description:
The rug is about 6'-8" x 10', and after a web-based crash course in knot-counting, I estimate 80 knots per inch.
There is some wear, but not much, and the rug is hand knotted.
There are a few tags on the rug, but none gives any information about the origin or type.

I'd appreciate any opinions about what this rug is, and what it might be worth. Being new to this, I will attempt to attach a few photos.

Thanks
architect66 attached the following image(s):
DSCF1142.jpg
DSCF1145.jpg
DSCF1147.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:56:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hi Architect! Welcome to the Forum

Cool piece, interesting to see this find. Surprised someone would put it out onto the curb. Probably not the best idea to keep it in a plastic bag though. Although it may not have bugs or other, rugs tend to absorb moisture, and a lot of it. I forget the exact fact, but wool can absorb something like 30% its weight in water before even starting to feel moist... I don't know. The point is, it's not the best idea to keep it in a bag.

This rug appears to have a wool pile with a wool foundation. I can't tell you too much the design it other than the repeating allover field "medallions" are often refered to as guls. Any additional info I would have to break out one of the books from the library. My hunch is that this is an Afghan piece, perhaps an eBay purchase. Similar rugs show up there. As for value, nothing too substantial, it depends on wear. I can see there is some color run in the ivory and on the fringe. Not atypical for this type. Figure about $1.75- $4 per square foot for something like this on eBay (Shipped). If the rug does have color run as it appears, it would certainly be on the much lower side, as would the wear also contribute to a lower price range.

I would either keep it and use it (if the wife says ok), or consider selling locally on CL or something like this. You may even be able to get a couple more bucks than the regular sellers on eBay that sell similar items. It's not uncommon that a well displayed ebay rug from a private seller may have a higher perceived value than coming from one of the "mass" sellers.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:57:12 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Congrats! I relate to this kinda adventure.....and here in Manhattan, within my building there are more clueless and profligate humans than anywhere else. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!

FYI and yr. wife's as well: long ago, running down the service stairs in my buidling, i have no time for the guy to bring the passenger elevator up, I came upon what was clearly a bronze. I even knew what it was right off: a P.J. Mene dog bronze, and a fine reproduction. It was covered in filth. Forget, covered in stupidity on the part of the discarder. I ran it back up and parked it. A dealer friend of my parents sold it for $475. That is how my hunting began.

Again, Bravo!!!! Never assume cause someone throws it out it isn't fabulous and even also sometimes valuable!!!

And do, as Pro who knows major stuff recommends.....assuming it may have some moisture in it...let it dry out somewhere. Just air dry. I esp luv it is growing on you!!!!!
architect66 Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:53:36 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thank you both for the tips and the encouragement. Now to find a place for it...