Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Indian Silk Rug Prices
jfahlen Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:42:50 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to rugs, but I've always loved them and hoped that someday I'd be able to get one. I'm traveling in India now and would like to get one, since the prices here seem good. I've looked at a few stores, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the stores and whether these prices seem good.

I've shopped at Kashmir Cottage Emporium and The Handicraft Paradise, both in Hyderabad, India. At both stores I've seen a rug that I love. They're 6x9 feet, silk on silk, with very fine patterns. Though the salesmen seem to overestimate the knot count, I've counted it to be something like 600-900. After a first round of negotiating, the prices they're asking are about $3500 for one, and $4500.

Both rugs have a brilliant, lustrous sheen to them, with the color changing dramatically depending on the viewing angle. I think they are beautiful, and as far as I can tell, seem authentic.

Both stores seem reputable, with ads in magazines and tourist maps. My girlfriend is working here in Hyderabad, and many people from her company have bought from these stores.

Has anyone heard of these stores, whether good or bad? I'd love any feedback, since I really don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:45:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am unfamiliar with the mentioned names. Although there is such a thing as a reputable dealer who features good quality items at fair prices, I personally refrain from giving "blanket" okay for anyone. Loose example: Two stores may both feature Nain and Gabbeh rugs. Depending on their connections, quality control, etc., pricing & value may differ from these two types of rugs within their inventory. Each vendor has their own specialty. Rugs should be reviewed on an item by item basis, and we do that here on the forum provided proper photographs are rendered.

I also do not suggest purchasing overseas: you have to know the game. It's guesswork if you're not well versed with current market prices. Presumably you would get a better deal, although that's not necessarily the case. Many of these items are what would be considered seconds goods, or sometimes not worthy of American market tastes. Unless you fall in love with a rug and have disposable income, you have to have proper mindset to know how to negotiate.

Here are some helpful articles.

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Vendors-and-Sources--Online2c-Overseas2c-Auctions2c-GOBs.aspx

http://www.rugrag.com/po...g-for-Oriental-Rugs.aspx

http://www.internetrugs....l_rug_buying_Eiland.html