Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

[color=red]I believe this is a persian silk - can anyone verify please?[/color]
judithb Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:33:40 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello Again: Along with the beautiful red carpet that I bought this summer, I found this one at a antique/resale shop in Zanesville OH and was told it came out of one of the smaller mansions there. It is in excellent condition, no holes, rips, tears, etc. and especially NO odor d'oh! . Has a velvety feel to it yet shiny. I did find one with very similar pattern listed as a Persian rug on line at a oriental rug co., but it was much larger and was being sold for quite a large sum of money that it hurt my brain to imagine. Mine is 60 x 60 with fringe all the way around. Can anyone verify if this is Persian, how can I tell if it is, how do I verify if it is silk, and potentially is there any value to it (and it doesn't have to make my brain hurt)?Pray Thanks a bunch everyone! I should mention I am not a dealer and am completely uneducated in this field. I just like shopping second hand and when I see something beautiful or intriguing, I buy it for resale to pay for my daughter's college loans. Boo hoo! I want more info to be fair to the next buyer - hence my listings here per suggestion from a dealer. Take Care & God Bless -- Judith **Photo files attached for viewing whole carpet and backside
judithb attached the following image(s):
IMG_0040_edited.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:21:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

appears to be one of these machine made carpets from the 60's and 70s. these were often meant for wall hanging and throw rugs for furniture, etc. They can be found on ebay for a fairly low investment. Most likely synthetic fibers, probably mercerized cotton.
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:02:29 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi, Judith,

No matter it is machine made....can't imagine anything hand knotted would have every edge fringed for openers......I think it's really pretty, both in design and colors. I really do! May I suggest you read the excellent tutorial offered right here with pics re how to tell if a rug is oriental-hand knotted or machined? I printed it out and it is precious and it will arm you!!! It is the best rugs 101 course you will ever have. You will then have a sharper eye and know all about wefts and you will be thrilled.