Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

[color=darkred]Can anyone assist in identifying this carpet / rug please?[/color]
judithb Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:27:34 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello, I acquired a really beautiful carpet over the summer. I was told that it was Navajo and that it came from AZ. However, I have learned that it is not such a carpet recently. I have searched endlessly and cannot find the pattern for this rug. I am almost positive that it is wool by it's feel, a bit rough like a scour pad. Size is 64" X 108" and the colors are vibrant but the pattern is unusual. I'm thinking this may be of European?? origin. Can you please advise & of its potential value? Thank you so much for any information or recommended sites you may have. Take care & God Bless -- See attached photo
judithb attached the following image(s):
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0006_edited.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:03:39 PM(UTC)
Groups:

First I am novice and know nothing, pls keep that in mind and await the arrival of the real pundits like RugPro.

Looks like hand woven wool to me, also looks new, have no clue if it is faithful to traditional pattern or colors, re the colors my guess wowld be not; it's most certainly wool, tho U could cut a teeny snip and burn it....if it smells like burning hair which it will....that will confirm.....and I think it is FABULOUS. Congrats!!!!
judithb Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:11:45 PM(UTC)

Thanks Jilly. New? I hope not. Funny, I was told that it was from the late 50's and was in an attic wrapped up for many years. So maybe that gives it the 'new' look. :) There is no odor and it is in great condition. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much! Take care.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:46:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Thanks for the intro Jilly, and welcome to the forum Judith,

Certainly a fascinating Rug. Although this type of weave is not my area of expertise, I can confirm some information provided by Jilly, and perhaps introduce some of my own thoughts re- this piece.

The rug appears to be 100% wool "pile" with what clearly seems to be a cotton foundation. A very fun pattern and great color palette.

First of all in there is such a thing as a new antique: ie. a rug cut straight from the loom and unused. While the rug may be "new", it still could be considered antique

In the oriental rug business, reputable sellers will only consider the following as honest. 0-49 years old new. 50-99 semi-antique, 100+ antique.

However, it is my feeling that this is not an older rug. Despite my "limited" experience with flatweaves, I still would be somewhat hard pressed to call this a "semi-antique." Looking at this carpet, I think the kilim being woven as a wide skirt, and the foundation being made of cotton suggests this would be a piece perhaps no more than 30 years old.

Just my input. While I don't have the knowledge to tell what is and is not a Navajo rug, I do know that Navajo popularity has exploded in the past 10 years.

What this has resulted in, is an abundance of Navajo-style weavings, which even some experts have difficulty deciphering whether they're from Peru, Turkey, Mexico, US, etc.. One thing is clear, most all of these weavings are in fact dissimilar from "authentic antique Navajo," and clearly so. I believe this is a great piece, but not something with tremendous monetary value.
judithb Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:16:54 PM(UTC)

Thank you RugPro ~

Well, I'm certainly learning alot and I appreciate what you are telling me. Thanks for the distinction of 'new' vs. 'antique'. Would I classify this as an 'oriental' rug or is that a term used only for the chart?

Thanks for your time and your abundant info (you too Jilly). It really helps and gives me much more than I had!
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:30:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

thanks judith. This is what most I believe would consider is a Kilim or Kelim.