Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Trial silk burn test and rug identificaton
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 7:38:31 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

First the background I purchased this 3X5 rug for $65.00. The rug had been brought back from Afghanistan by the seller's son's giirlfriend. I have been told that service people have been told tall tales about great rugs and sold crude examples. The ad said "silk" rug, but the seller made no such claims. First glance told me it was a wool rug with silk, or mercurized cotton, highlights. There are white details that stand out which drew me to this conclusion

I have read the article on burn test, but I have problems in translationing that to practice. The burn is very easy when the piece flames in a sudden burst and goes out. I have also read about the "bubble" that happens with silk.

My first pictures has three examples of a burn test The lowest fringe piece is definately a faux silk. The middle is real silk, and the final is the new rug. Only the middle has interior example. It is a Sumak so obviuosly easy to get while the others I was able to only to get fringe. The true slk and purchased rug had the closest smell, but not identical. The faux silk was a definate different smell.

Also any imformation on the rug itself would be appreciated. I would be surprised if it was silk with the knots. However, the knots look as a different type that I have seen.

Thanks

File Attachment(s):
afghanborder_edited-1.jpg (1,274kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
afghfull.jpg (1,842kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
afghcorner.jpg (1,751kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
burntest1.jpg
afghancoin.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 10:04:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

nice catch for 65 bucks. Top and bottom appear to be mercerized cotton. I believe that often catches a flame and goes out quick. Plus, the highlights look a little fluffy: usually this is a good indication of a mercerized cotton as opposed to other synthetic faux silk. good deal for the price.

It has a purple weft, no?
#3 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 12:17:16 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I think it is absolutely beautiful. Don't know diddly about the academic stuff.....but it has amazing harmony of design. Melody. Even heart. Congrats!!!!
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:41:22 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

RugPro is has a very dark almost black green weft depending on the light. Any identification marks that show it's origin? I bought "Orinetal Carpet Design" by PRJ Ford to try to ID these myself, but I'm not there yet.

Going back that the Nichols. If you show it I think you would believe it's authentic. The jade has subtle changes in color like a lake with different depths showing different subtlties. I might still get a call on it since I don't thnk they will find a quick buyer. Secondly, they look like a respectable mid age couple. However, there are some warning signs that it could be stolen. How you still a stolen rug I don't know. Their add states that they can't add pictures so you have to mail them for a picture. My thought, since I know they could add pictures, is they didn't want it splashed over the internet for the owners to find. Secondly they are showing it at a house that is not their, and their mother, who supposedly owns and needs money, has never been there.

Not sure, LINKEN shows them employed by a major local company, but it this seems odd.

Thanks, Jilly, I'm still at the point that I can't pass up a pretty rug. Now, of couse, if that pretty rug is $65 its not a bad temptatiion.
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 3:08:14 PM(UTC)
Groups:

btuma6 wrote:
RugPro is has a very dark almost black green weft depending on the light. Any identification marks that show it's origin? I bought "Orinetal Carpet Design" by PRJ Ford to try to ID these myself, but I'm not there yet.

Going back that the Nichols. If you show it I think you would believe it's authentic. The jade has subtle changes in color like a lake with different depths showing different subtlties. I might still get a call on it since I don't thnk they will find a quick buyer. Secondly, they look like a respectable mid age couple. However, there are some warning signs that it could be stolen. How you still a stolen rug I don't know. Their add states that they can't add pictures so you have to mail them for a picture. My thought, since I know they could add pictures, is they didn't want it splashed over the internet for the owners to find. Secondly they are showing it at a house that is not their, and their mother, who supposedly owns and needs money, has never been there.

Not sure, LINKEN shows them employed by a major local company, but it this seems odd.

Thanks, Jilly, I'm still at the point that I can't pass up a pretty rug. Now, of couse, if that pretty rug is $65 its not a bad temptatiion.

STOLEN????????? omg. Does sound very MURKY. Where is the mother? In the basement as a skeleton in a rocking chair? This is Hitchcock? Trust yr instincts. I would not go there.

I think the Rug god is with you. Listen to the Rug God. That is what I think!
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 7:09:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I agree with Jilly regarding the Rug God. be wary. I thought this rug was done by now?!? don't forget what I told you bout having things in writing need be.