Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Why would they even ask?
Bonn Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:30:27 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

http://www.apartmentther...-room-the-answer-074519

The closets and chandelier are a dead giveaway of course, but that RUG?!?! THOSE COLORS?! Totally 21st century, no?

I love Apartment Therapy, but.......Pray

Ok, as little as I knew of rug styles, history, etc. even I would have said that rug was made like yesterday from the colors......before starting to get educated right here....
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:30:29 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi, Bonnie!!!!

That is an art Deco style rug....possibly Chinese. Could be neo & new, but they made then in the 20s too. The old ones were hand knotted. And the colors usually brilliant and possibly now not a la mode or to the linking of peole used to seeing the usual. Yep....it's a journey.
I know a coupla things now.......but very few. Sigh.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:37:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

1920's to 40's chinese art deco design. like jilly said, could be new, but perhaps an authentic "nichols". I think this may be the first of that shade I've seen, but if it's real, it looks like it may be of the earlier rather than later. Tough to say without seeing the back or selvages
Bonn Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:49:35 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Sigh. I guess "Nichols" is some kind of code word for "enigma".......I see......hard to tell anything without close up photos and even then still wanting to pull and burn the rug and.......

Photo is room of a private client of Jonathan Adler......JA has his own rugs but not Oriental/Deco.......

Learning, learning, learning.......
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:49:19 PM(UTC)
Groups:

(Very busy tonite).....No enigma, Ms. Thing......I learned about these right here via reading threads......esp re the gargantuan maybe Nichols, maybe not rug. Ay which point I Googled a lot and also looked on eBay.

Good search engines= huge blessings we must never take for granted! Who can live without Google?????

Everything is inexorably entwined, nothing exists in isolation...so all this stuff raises tangential issues: socio cultural everything, what comprises classy humans and what mitigates; style versus fashion, eyes by Marcel, the vicissitudes of commerce; core values and how humans evolve/RECLAIM them if they do; what is CLASSIC and what is flavor of the month and why......it is rich and dense yes?

Were I not seriously (if not rabidly, AND THAT MAY BE WHAT IS MESSING THIS UP) looking for a rug.....I would be giddy & dancing and thrilling to all of it as I do in all my always-unexpected obsessions WHICH COMPEL me to EMERSE. this is only miserable for me.cause of what too often marks this industry……which is even MORE disgusting and pervasive then I knew having sustained one major wound.

Be 14. Dance. Google!!!!!! Enjoy!