Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

another big rug another ID qestion
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:16:34 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Without going into the long sob story I lost out, at least for now. on the beautiful 12X20 richols. Seems like the person who said the rug was appraised for $28,000 had no idea of the worth of the rug, unitl I mentioned nichols and suddenly they wanted $4,000 for the rug. More than a hobbiest wanted to pay.

Like a jilted lover I ran to another rug. Strange as it seems, a 20'by25" rug appeared and they wanted $550 for it. I played around too much with the nichols so I jumped to buy the other rug. Now that I have it, I hope don't have the white elephant mentioned early

From the little I know I would say this is a carved Chinese that it is hand knotted wool. Certainly the flowers are carved. Question do the colors show an age? The rug is tremendously dirty, but in good shape with even medium pile and no stains, and only a few small cuts in foundation.

What is the age of the rug, and does this type of rug (carved Chinese in whatever era this is from) have much value? Certainly the color isn't the best, but wasn't this color used alot in the '70. If it was worth $5 per sq ft to a private party I would make out good. However, I don't know if the per square foot works with this large of a rug

In the most general terms possible what is the value per foot for somone who wants a huge orange rug. I'm limited in pictures because it is in the back of my van, and so big I can't get it out by myself. I'm waiting to take it to the expert rug cleaners
File Attachment(s):
orangecoin.jpg (2,112kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
bigorangefull.jpg
bigorangemid.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:25:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

btuma6 wrote:

Like a jilted lover I ran to another rug.

Lol Sorry to hear about the Nichols, it's ok, someone I showed it to said the same thing I did, some chinese repros had this "by nichols" stamp, may not have been authentic. It certainly looked like one, but it's no biggie.

This rug is 20'x25'? Does it have any cuts or anything like repairs? the photo on the bottom has a slight change in the minor guard border, and the far corner looks different color.
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:28:56 PM(UTC)

There are a couple cuts. The picture made the colors differenct and the border error. The rug is teriblly dirty, and the wash might show any fading that is not obviious now.
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:30:04 PM(UTC)

I'm miss spoke it is 12X25. Not 20"
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:38:09 PM(UTC)

Very much a 70's. The carpet is Indian. I remember a company that used to make and import very similar quality rugs with a line called "Chindia." This is a gigantic carpet. Generally, rugs with era-specific colors don't tend to sell that well unless they're the "quintessential" example of their day. The design of this carpet is open field aubusson design, knots are coarse. Washing will be tough.

Here's a sample of a "chindia" quality similar to the one posted. I'm not sure if that's the proper name for it. Seems incorrect because it usually implies a Chinese Design with Indian Spin such as the Peking rugs coming in late 60's through 70's from India.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3348673

The link above is a small auction house that featured the rug. I've seen similar vintage and quality rugs at retail shops asking upwards of $12 / foot in new condition, however, the colors of these $12/ft rugs were more in line with today's demand. While the rug may have vintage appeal the size is tremendous and conditional issues will weigh in much more than averag for a rug of this genre.

How much did you pay?

btuma6 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:44:53 PM(UTC)

I paid $550 in the heat of the moment. not really taking into consideration the color. I questt the could say I paid $1,550 since it needs cleaning. I don't know if should invest $1,000 on such a rug.

My son was a linebacker at Oregon State whose colors are black and orange, maybe a frat house could use it.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:46:18 PM(UTC)

It's a little more than expected for private. have you thought about posting online or eBay? If you wait it out and the condition is okay I think you could sell for what you paid plus a few bucks, but not much.
btuma6 Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:50:58 PM(UTC)

I will definately try ebay and mention the need for cleaning. I would image that is a better idea that taking the risk that it would be worth a $1,000 more after cleaning.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:52:25 PM(UTC)

If you spot clean that's good. If there are conditional issues, I would watch out for investing in cleaning.

Perhaps advertise as is, but say it will be cleaned before shipping. Cleaning should be 2 bucks a foot.
btuma6 Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:56:18 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the hint on cleaning. I've paid $3.10 at a local place and $2.90 at Atiyeh Bros. Atiyeh Bros are the brothers that opened the Kirman market to the US way back when and then recently worked with the VP of Iran to open if up after the embargo. A interesting fact I came across in my google quest.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:20:42 PM(UTC)
Groups:

If I may say, I hope you don't let yr empathy-driven decision to tell the seller of the first rug the truth...let the net results of this rob you of this propensity. There is currency and there is CURRENCY.

As I seem to recall posting here somewhere long ago, there is no triumph at the expense of another being, and the end never justifies the means. Souls cost money. and these days, u gotta give it in euros. empathy is the linchpin of civilization and joy within.

There is a price to be paid for everything; thing is which price are you willing to pay?

Not being able to exploit.....is a blessing, believe me. It is the nucleus of capacity for joy in he moment, every oment even while "spurned" by a rug owner. Eeal lovers "become" The Other. Mindless merging.

You did the right thing. The classic tenets of The Rug Business are nothing to aspire to, believe that. The prices those extract ongoing, within any opportunist are UNAFFORDABLE.

I follow no external, dogmatic beliefs. Living truth and epathy is meant to be out engineered default mode....and that is where the goodies are.

You did GOOD. Applause
RugPro Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:27:19 PM(UTC)

Btuma,

Atiyeh is a big name. What size was the rug you had cleaned there? at any rate, cleaning costs vary a lot by where you're located, techniques used, and machinery in place. I thought you were out in the woods, not the City!

I agree with Jilly, I think you did okay, but flipping for a lot more coin than paid is going to be tough
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:02:59 AM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
Btuma,

Atiyeh is a big name. What size was the rug you had cleaned there? at any rate, cleaning costs vary a lot by where you're located, techniques used, and machinery in place. I thought you were out in the woods, not the City!

I agree with Jilly, I think you did okay, but flipping for a lot more coin than paid is going to be tough

I meant he did good in the higher currency. And it IS higher. He can call it GOLDEN PEACH. No need to say the word orange. It could be a focal point n a room with very neutral furnishings. GOLDEN PEACH. Or SUNNY PEACH. It is not orange, OK? Plus, even for a rug of this size, the borders are so huge and dominant, the GOLDEN PEACH IS fine!

I think the size is the impediment, not the colors. Very few people are old school Brooks Brothers or Saville Row. Sean John is very hot.

#14 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:59:10 AM(UTC)
Groups:

OK here's the real color re marketing the item and it is also ACCURATE: The rug's field is RUSSET PEACH. That is not a lie. Unless you have the same miniscule, over engineered Nikon I do, with the 136 page Manual whose color fidelity you have to watch every second. My feeling is yr pics accurately depict the colors.