Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Unusual Local Sarouk
#1 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 3:27:38 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Here is, for me, an atypical, ostensibly antique, I think, elegant, & handsome in its essence... Sarouk:
http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg Beyond my budget, also too densely ornate for me, tho impressive in that someone, or plural ones, rendered this complexity by hand. I never heard of these people. They are in Brooklyn, a Metrocard swipe away. I should maybe go and see the reality of this place and their rugs. where I would have to pay tax. Buying online from mostly out of state vendors has spoiled me in recent years, no doubt about it.

They sure can't post a cogent listing, but maybe that's a good thing, anti Doris Blau down home ingenuousness???? An absence of pretense? I have no clue.

They have 3 employees and have been in business since 03.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 3:54:59 PM(UTC)
Groups:

PS, I looked thru their ebay inventory, see nothing else interesting, plus, I think their prices are high. But I signed up for their newsletter. U nevah know.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 5:15:21 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

feedback percent is very low. didn't see why, but even some of the very bad sellers manage to trick buyers and get high positives
#4 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 5:30:56 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
feedback percent is very low. didn't see why, but even some of the very bad sellers manage to trick buyers and get high positives

I saw that as well.

I am startin to think....on a CV, the only worse thing you could say you do-ARE, except for PSYCHOTIC TERRORIST....is RUG DEALER. OMG.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:09:39 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Impulse thought. This rug isn't terrible. Tho it looks like it needs someone to run defrag & junk file cleaner on it. Hah, I mean it. But I could live with it if it looks better in person and is in decent shape and what they say it is. Economy still in early stages of plummet. I could go the bank and get some cash (I never use cash), go there, check it out, and if it meets my lowest standards, offer them 2K in cash and tell them it is all I can afford. Only 2 weeks ago, I would have said, I can't do that, never have, never could, it would creep me out; I wasn't raised that way. On ebay their asking price is $3,500. Speaking of which, that would violate eBay stuff and THAT creeps me out. But I Googled them and that is how I learned more about them and where they are, etc.

I could just show up with dead presidents. (Eeeewwwwwww.) I actually feel, if I saw something in person, learning what I have here, I would know what to look for re condition....and maybe even age. Or Not.

How does that sound? Not carefully thought out? Product of frustration and recklessness and stupidity? Or an inspiration? They quote a retail of 12K. Give me break. It has new fringes and bindings. Also bet low pile and dry rot. But who knows???? Look at the field color. It was never painted. Meaning ir relally might be before the 30s, right? And not PINK, more peachy.

Pro keeps reiterating justifiably.....seeing thingsin person is the bottom line. He is right. In this, that would at least be an option.

Is this rug worth 2K? Yes, right? Or Not.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:31:26 PM(UTC)

if the rug is in excellent condition... not excellent for it's age, but excellent condition, it's worth every bit of 12k retail

I would ask them for close up photos of the back the wefts stand out a little strong on the back, which leads me to think it could be a lower grade sarouk like an arak or something. But some of sarouks do look like this. It seems like it could be worth every penny of the 2k, but better images would speak louder. Colors are a little more traditional, but the pattern is outstanding and regal. Looks like a very pricey library rug found in some old mansion to me.... If you like the design and color, I would inquire.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:25:13 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
if the rug is in excellent condition... not excellent for it's age, but excellent condition, it's worth every bit of 12k retail

I would ask them for close up photos of the back the wefts stand out a little strong on the back, which leads me to think it could be a lower grade sarouk like an arak or something. But some of sarouks do look like this. It seems like it could be worth every penny of the 2k, but better images would speak louder. Colors are a little more traditional, but the pattern is outstanding and regal. Looks like a very pricey library rug found in some old mansion to me.... If you like the design and color, I would inquire.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, they want 3500. My sudden idea to go down here was sudden. Maybe this could be something!! Speaking of wefts, now that i know what they are, the couple of times I looked at mine knowing nothing....I remember them very small and dense. And I may be hallucinating in retrospect, but I kinda remember they looked blueish and not white. Could that be? Probably not.

OK I am afraid get excited.....cause I have learned it is dangerous. But it is also my default mode.

THANKS!

The Cloisters, not scary. Also with tapestries. and stone fountains. And chainmail. No rugs.

Maybe this is My Rug!!!!!

But I might have the option to SEE IT. Short of that, fughet id.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:31:17 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Updsate:

Dear ariesjill,

Thank You For visitimng our Ebay site you may visit our showrooom we are located 264 39 street Brooklyn Ny, 11232 (718)768-1070.

Thank You,
Celly

#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:31:17 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Update: U take the D train and get off at Coney Island. Then U get lost. Well, I will. But when I can make an interval, I am going to see this thing. About time I saw a rug in person!!
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:13:36 PM(UTC)

Jilly wrote:
Update: U take the D train and get off at Coney Island. Then U get lost.

lol, half the fun is the adventure
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:02:54 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
Jilly wrote:
Update: U take the D train and get off at Coney Island. Then U get lost.

lol, half the fun is the adventure

Totally true until..... I would say.....5 days ago. If only...for me. Sigh.
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:45:38 PM(UTC)
Groups:

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!! Maybe when I haven't slept for couple of days, I see more stuff. Tony Shalhoub would be SO PROUD OF ME!

I just looked at this rug again.. I NOW see the deal here!! I will upload marked images and so will you SEE.

THIS PUPPY.......has major edge/MISSING rows issue. At least on one edge, I am sure... both...even if the real damage was to one end, bet they cut the other to make it look more normal. And who knows about the selvege ends, I have not seen both, or either clearly. They removed the damaged edges, "SECURED" what they could save & refringed it to COVER THAT UP for those who do not look CAREFULLY....or do not know what they should expect to see.

No WAY would this mutilated rug retail anywhere for 12k!!!!! Seeing this now, no WAY worth their $3,500 asking price. Not sure NOW if it's Worth even 2K....& I now suspect base issues and related stuff.

ENTIRE outer RED GUARDSTRIPE MISSING, maybe even couple of rows of the first floral border stripe They said the fringes were new, and the "binding." But they left out the IMPORTANT info!! They did the least costly repair to serious issue and tried to hide the real issue! I can just imagine what replacing the missing rows would cost, how much time it would take and how much skill! Fine....you went this way... TELL interested buyers!!!! TELL THEM.

I can not do SNEAKY-sleazoid, i,e, go there-take pics of every CENTIMETER in silence with them standing there.....THEN, delineate all the issues IN DETAIL... and make insulting offer. Not an option. Tho right now, I would like to.

I will call & DISCUSS it with them. Tell them calmly all I now see just from the images I will ask them what, given this, what other issues I can expect to see? If they freak our, lie or get defensive, I will say to them what they say to disgruntled buyers who feel seriously cheated and post negative feedback: SHAME ON YOU! and then...no point in wasting MORE time coming to visit, buh BYE.

I will await new feedback right here before I do anything. and please do not tell me no biggie it's still worth a lot. I very tired. I know there are those who enjoy this BS, this game! I saw it in my own livingroom first hand. NOT ATTRACTIVE.

Jilly attached the following image(s):
what do you see here one.JPG
What do You see two.JPG
#13 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 1:09:30 AM(UTC)
Groups:

O why........am I trying to keep my eyes open and learn all about edge repair/Rebuilding options?????

WHYYYYYYY?

http://www.gregorianrugs.com/serv_repair.html

What they did has a name: Even off takes out the row of knots and the structural wefts until a straight line exists to a customer's desired point.

I guess everyone does this all the time, right? Well, I do not care. They did show it; they HAD TO, rug images on ebay have a standard even I have come to expect. Issue is, What percentage of non dealer buyers attracted to the rug see what is there and what is missing???

Now from their English is not my first language so cut me slack posting:

# Actual Size: 11'3 x 8'11
# Colors: Rust, Blues, & Greens
# Condition: Rug is wash - New Fringes - New Bindin, even were it
# show, no damage.

# Origin: Persian Sarouk

U-huh.

Now boys and girls, I know UGATZ, but here is what the listing should have been and BE: Edge damage professionally repaired by evening off to the first floral border stripe and new fringing has been added..

Do not tell me it does not SHOW & there is no damage. DO NOT.

Edge Repair varies depending on the region and type of rug. Most rugs are single, double or triple wrapped with wool, cotton or goat hair in a single color or multicolored.

Edge Restoration can be achieved in three ways: Partial edges means wrapping only where needed to maintain the sides of the rug. Full edges means re-wrapping both sides completely to restore the rug to its original condition. Rebuilding means to rebuild the structure of the edge and wrap.

RugPro Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 6:21:08 AM(UTC)

That much won't obliterate the value, but it's not great. there are a lot of different schools of thought on releasing knots to bring out "new fringe" from an older rug like this. Bottom line is it doesn't appear to take off the guard border, which would kill the value. I would never want to even the knots on a rug like this, but at the same time, there's little other option because they'll probably get lost anyway if something isn't done. to fix it.
#15 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 11:47:01 AM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
That much won't obliterate the value, but it's not great. there are a lot of different schools of thought on releasing knots to bring out "new fringe" from an older rug like this. Bottom line is it doesn't appear to take off the guard border, which would kill the value. I would never want to even the knots on a rug like this, but at the same time, there's little other option because they'll probably get lost anyway if something isn't done. to fix it.

omg WUT??????????

Just came in....I am running on empty, so can not figure out the above. Pro, could you just tell me, given the newly noticed mutilatiON, for someone NOT interested in selling a rug after buying it.....what would would a reflecTING its real value offer be if i SEE IT AND ACTUALLY LIKE IT AND iT DON HAVE ALL THE OTHER issues I now suspect???????

RugPro Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 12:19:20 PM(UTC)

#17 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 12:34:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
You saw it in person today?

What do you think about this rug?

NO! I SAID. AFTER PHONE EXCHANGE....as usual, this is pathetic, complex and Byzantine and there are STEPS.....I said after phone exhange, based on their responses, if THEN I feel is worth going to Coney.

I came home from elsewhere having nothing to do with rugs thank you God. No room for rugs during the day, again, thank you God.

Trust me, had I already gone I would have uploaded a ton of pics by right now.

#18 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:27:04 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Are you saying that what they did to repair the rug not only reveals its incompleteness but it will also not hold??????? The even off thingy and putting new fringes?

See, my rug had its original fringes but little ratty, I din know I should not have let them put new fringes, but the new fringes were lovely and white and perfect & short just like the original ones. It was not missing toes or fingers or ROWS.

If you are saying the above, then there is no point at all.....at any price, I think.....and would just be wasting more time.
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:42:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Final direct question:

Let us say I call and they are not insane and defensive which would alienate me.....so I go on the D train wit da camera. Let us say, what we now see, is the only problem, the amputations problem....tho I think that's a big one....and there is no dry rot or areas of no pile, and the colors are not majorly faded at one end which it appears they might be.

Now, let us say, upon careful examination, I get the way they repaired this rug might keep the ends intact on an actual floor with humans walking on it.....and it could be vacuumed normally wit my red Miele (the only vac worth buying and worth every penny).
Let us say further, the rug in person calls to me and we have CHEMISTRY despite its issues.

Assuming all of the above, what would a fair offer for the thing be? The lowest, not totally insulting offer???? I literally have no clue. I do NOW get, it bears no relationship to their listed retail of 12K and, I now think, little to their asking price of $3,500.

it is possible that the only reason I could get this rug should I really want it...is BECAUSE of its issues!!!! if it had none, I could not afford it. Interesting, right?

Thanks....now I must start evening work.
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:07:57 PM(UTC)
Groups:

FORGIVE ME, I MISSED THIS!

What do you think about this rug? http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg ebayphotohosting

I think it's classy, elegant, subtle and very Old Money, and so the antidote to the Amy Winehouse rug which God knows where it is I would at least like to see it. But I also think its lifeforce is diminished and it is a mere shadow of its once far more dynamic and stunning self. but people like that.

The Sotheby's open field rug (72k+) and the rug in West Hollywood(20K) are all of the above except their lifeforces are in no way diminished. And so I loved and wanted them.

Was that cryptic?

I just looked at it more closely and I want to thank you deeply for being moved to an actual search... and finding it. That was deep. It really does have things going for it....I also just got I am still stuck in the "essence" of my Sarouk....the subtle vitality, and that is impacting everything. But, i now know first hand, what is on the floor is the foundation of a room in every way.....people say, I never focused until my rug got gone and I found the OMG just shoot me, wicked ugly rug and have lived with it far too long.

So......as the foundation of this room.....for me, this would be a little tepid.

I put it in My Ebay, Will revisit it as time goes by and try to keep an open mind. KROW should consider this one I think!!!!! Cause he would do really well with it here, depending on how high it goes!!!!
KROW, DID YOU HEAR THAT???????

Bet it goes for serious money in the final hour of the auction; I have never seen this vendor; he has some amazing rugs, boy!!!!!! Very few no reserve rugs. NY residents will also have to pay tax, I think.

Here is one from same vendor I like a LOT, already above my budget with log way to go; this "private' bidder wants this bigtime and who can blame that person? Lifeforce very special and intact and no knots showing as well: That is a fabulous rug.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pers...&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

#21 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:54:32 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I am now obsessed by this vendor. Good feedback for the mostpart, I get he or she is reputable. Cutest feedback;

misrepresenting the item as "Antique Persian Sarouk Rug 9x12ft circa1900!!.fraud
pazrvizbiz ( 12 [Feedback score is 10 to 49] )
May-11-06 12:22

Reply by mirjany (May-12-06 21:17):
This rug has a signature on it, which signifies what era the rug is from.
o
Follow-up by pazrvizbiz (Nov-19-06 12:23):
mirjany I am informing F.B.I your crime misrep.sarouk9x12ca1900 you have 48hr
+
Rating withdrawn by eBay
Buyer didn't respond to the Unpaid item notification for this transaction. Learn more.

-- (#7405084334)

When humans feel taken and vulnerable & desperate & helpless.....what they are moved to is as per this.
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:50:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Do not mean to exhaust...cept it's apparently my default mode in all things, lol......and if nobody can answer this, no problem.....but, given what we now know about this rug, with the amputations, etc., what would a fair offer for it be should the more local Sarouk make me cry with sadness and I then go see this one?

Would anyone with a brain buy a rug with amputations? Or could it make this rug affordable to me and that should be the bottom line? I do not know how to THINK ABOUT or approach THIS.

The very last thing I could bear to feel again would be, OMG, i'VE BEEN HAD get the swat team!!!! Been there, done that, sold the T shit on ebay.....could ont bear to go back there again.

Thanks deeply.
#23 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:50:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

update:

Welll, the ebay listing expired. Don mean cause others saw the amputations and everyone hated it. Could mean most people not willing or able to pay $3,500 for a rug on ebay.

Now, I was going to go down, get lost, have strangers help me---they do that when I am wandering about, they run right up---find the place and see the rug in detailed reality and take pics.

But here is what I now think: their asking price is #3,500. I am positive they wouldn't accept even $2,700,.....and even that is more than I can pay without never sleeping again in my life out of shame and guilt with my mother texting me form the grave in my head.

It might be worth seeing cause I wanna see it and hand knotted rugs in general, now. It might expand my larval rug savvy. But if I fall in love with it despite it's amputations and I am right re the above re price, I will feel simply terrible.

But boy it's singular, and boy, it is elegant. At least, from the pics.

RugPro Offline
#24 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 8:10:35 PM(UTC)

FBI lol,

Rug dealers are hungry. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a rug with some end loss as long as it's not significant and the price is right. I would have to see other areas of that rug to say, especially the back because it did appear to have some heavy wefting
#25 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 9:26:33 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
FBI lol,

Rug dealers are hungry. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a rug with some end loss as long as it's not significant and the price is right. I would have to see other areas of that rug to say, especially the back because it did appear to have some heavy wefting

They are hungry? Half the world is starving. Let the rug dealers eat rugs. they may as well be used car dealers, for God's sake, right?

Maybe I will go see the rug. When U saw it an pointed it out, I too saw the wefting issue. I have o idea what that is or what it might mean.

But agian, my take is the lowest price they would accept wold still be above my limit. but this one mus be seen, no question.

I am fading. But not as much as some of the Sarouks I have seen, boy!!!!!