Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

"Hand Knitted?" rug-any value,or info?
golgi Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 6:45:46 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Picked up this 5'x7' rug plus matching runner for $30.The "knit" or weave looks like a stitch in my moms afgans.(blankets)It is starting to split in places and I need to sew a backing on.Do the splits indicate rot? Is there anything I can do to save this?And what is it anyways?Worth anything?
Thanks,
Gail

http://s366.photobucket....ent=tanks-xmas08036.jpg
http://s366.photobucket....ent=tanks-xmas08038.jpg
http://s366.photobucket....rent=tanks-xmas08037.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 7:05:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey golgi,

Not too familiar with this type myself, but I can tell you it's a wool "pile", wool fringe (not sure this hasn't been added later) and for some reason there's jute surrounding the edges it appears. It seems to be hand made. I have seen similar rugs come from many, many different areas, I just have no clue on how to ID them. I would say 30 bucks appears to be a good deal for the runner and the rug together.
golgi Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 7:48:32 AM(UTC)

Thanks,RugPro.Do you know what I should do about the splitting?Or who I should ask about the care?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 8:09:05 AM(UTC)

I did not catch the info on splitting somehow, this was edited post reply perhaps. Please post detail of the splits.
golgi Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 8:27:30 AM(UTC)

RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 8:34:56 AM(UTC)

It's a very sweet rug. If it's dry rot, you'll be able to feel it. The split area and area around maybe even sound different if it's dry rot and may have discoloration and powder. Not sure this is the case for this rug. The construction seems delicate between the rows. are the other rows held together by a fine thread or a thin warp?
golgi Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 8:49:01 AM(UTC)

Here is a bad closeup of the back side of a small section of damage (there is just this one)The tan fibers are disintigrating.
http://s366.photobucket....rent=tanks-xmas08042.jpg
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 9:08:50 AM(UTC)

In most instances with "deterioration" it means one of two things: Either the rug is actually deteriorating, or there was an improper balance of fibers in the structure of the rug. This carpet I cannot tell if it even has a warp, but presumably it does. Depending on how far surrounding the areas is affected, I would act accordingly. I don't believe professional repair is warranted, as it's very cost-prohibitive. However, if the damage or problem does not go too far into the rows above or below, you could attempt stitching, but you really have to make sure what you're harnessing to is VERY solid, and usually this could be felt. To really repair it properly would be very intense. Most good specialty rug repair people will base the quality of repair off the value of the rug. Given I do not know what the rug is, it could mean a thorough reweave, or something as simple as latex glue and a small rectangle of burlap (I would not advise as this is not easily reversible). Bottom line is it's not advisable to use in moderate traffic as is as this parting/split could easily be breached even further

Sorry I can't be more specific... I do think the rug is worth every bit of the 30 you mentioned before. These kind of problems are not uncommon for this type of weave. Structure reminds me of a rag rug in the way it's separating. Personally I think the best option would be (provided the areas surrounding are durable), if you're handy with a needle and thread and hiding the work on the front, perhaps try? Just not familiar enough nor can I feel the extend of deterioration (if that's what it may be) to give the best go-ahead for any solution
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 9:11:07 AM(UTC)

Just saw the border was attached separate from the field. rows are running opposite direction.
golgi Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 9:14:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks,again RugPro.It appears as if the wool yarn is woven through a burlap backing.The wool is fine-just the burlap is bad.I will do spot repairs and sew a backing on to help hold it together.Sure is pretty.
Lady I bought it from said she had it cleaned at "Arslanian Bros."-THE place to get your rugs cleaned.Wonder if that was not advisable with this rug.
golgi Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:17:39 AM(UTC)

I posted pics of this on an ebay discussion forum and a member thought it looked like a tambour rug.After researching,it DOES have the characteristic chain stitching as indicated on this site-
http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/tambour.htm
Could it be? wonder how old it is...

ps-don't click on the highlighted link,copy and paste whole link
RugPro Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:47:29 AM(UTC)

Great info to know! looks very similar to what you showed.