Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

"Look at the hubcaps"
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:48:55 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I've been reading to find out more on Oriental/Persian rugs. Connelly. well known expert, made an interesting remark about a master who had taught him about identifying rugs. The comment was "look at the hubcaps" from the days when cars had hubcaps that indentified the car. The remark was to look at the most obvious mark of identification.

There has been a discussion if a rug was a Chinese Nicholds. I didn't know anything about Nichols until Rugpro introduced me. I originally look at the rug and decided there was no way this rug coulc be a Nichols because it was simply in too good of shape. It looked like a well maintained 1980 rug.

My other readings last night stated that Nichols marked his rug. It also commented that very few rugs still had the mark because of time, wear etc.

Take a look at the first picture, The hub cap is clear and the condition of the rug is also clear. It is smply an amazing rug.

There has also been a lot of discussion on this site about sellers being dishonest. The same can go for buyers (God forbid talkng to an antique dealer trying to buy a lost treasure). When I went back for pictures I looked for the mark, and when I found it I didn't quickly hide it. I told them it was the manufactorer. They immediately Googled it and found what they had (although they had already said it was worth $28,0000 so if they were honest they wouldn't be surprised.
They still said I could have it for $1,200, but had another person coming this afternoon. Would I mind if they showed it first?

It may be my mistake of the decade, but I told them to go ahead and show it since I didn't wanted them to have a chance also.

I will find out a 6 if I get the rug, or how high I will have to go to get it. I would still imagine that $2,000 would be a great deal and be worth much more to a private party.

Realizing I am someone's house, I include a bad picture of a dime to try to show the height of the pile which is uniform. The rug needs to be washed or $700 but hey wants a couple bucks for a treasure
File Attachment(s):
nickfull.jpg (1,461kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
nichcorner.jpg (1,633kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
nichname.jpg
nichcoin.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:40:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Nichols was one producer, many of similar ilk have been attributed, and rightly so, to nichols due to the quality, genre, etc.

The rug is clearly hand knotted. Whether or not it is authentic Nichols, I do not know without pics of selvages, etc.

I would not allow the print on the back to indicate this being a true nichols, as almost anyone could have done this. There is an unbelievable extent to how rugs are often passed fo what they are not. We won't get into this now.

However....

I would say grab it, and do so quickly if it's in good shape with even wear no problems other than needing a cleaning. Even if it's a newer reproduction, which I am not convinced that it isn't, you can still flip it for more than the 1200 they ask perhaps more depending on condition. Other ways to identify nichols rug include the selvages, selvage wrap, quality of wool, design execution (nichols type are one of the few rugs during the late first early second quarter that was twisting two diferent color wools to compile yarn ply in one knot to have muti coloring.) and yarn ply being 3+. These are not the only identfiers, personally I think the wool looks a little flat to be an original, but that will have to be determined by someone in person, or specific photographs which would aid identification online.

The wool is almost always a good shiny sheen and unbelievably heavy for Nichols (and even repro). 12x20 you're going to want to bring a friend, a full pile nichols rug is almost always 1+ pound per square foot with full pile, bringing this carpet to a projected weight of 240+.

Do remember, you may have to sit on it for a little while. As with any purchase, if you have any doubt of ownership being theirs, ask the seller to sign in writing that the rug is theirs, and it is within their right to sell it. Just tell them you need a receipt for documentation purposes so you don't freak them out.

I wouldn't negotiate, it seems like a very fair private party price given final identification may mean it's a repro, so there's potential risk on your part as a buyer but you should be ok in the end
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:24:55 PM(UTC)

Does this help. I'm not sure if the salvage is the side or end, or neither. Because I say the writing I didn't care as much for the other pictures, which is a rookie mistake
File Attachment(s):
nichfringe_edited-1.jpg (2,014kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:23:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

appears to be nichols from photographs
btuma6 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:48:47 PM(UTC)

RugPro, thank you so much. I had no idea what a nichols was, and was ready to walk away from this rug because it looked like a contempary chinese rug that was too big. Now all I have to worry about is having 2-3 men everytime I go to wash it or put in storage. They said it took 4 people to move it. I thought they were crazy, but from your comments it must be true.

Btuma6
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:13:00 PM(UTC)
Groups:

FYI.....just now now see these I never heard of, they are quite lovely. BE VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!! :d/

http://antiques.shop.eba...Q_sopZ10QQ_udhiZQQ_udloZ