Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What Would a Fair Offer Be?
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:38:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi for a change.

i emailed Joe Nevo again re where is the new Sarouk??? I am being a pest. It will either be too small or beyond my budget anyhow, I'll bet. http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

Now, this rug above is new...meaning no way is this 40 years old. I think not.. It is finished on the long edges with giant bias tape. I seem not to like these Heriz's, but I think this is rather pretty. In a neo kinda way.

Do they ever use giant bias tape in Iran? I think not, right? Where do they use it? India?

How much would a lucid person offer for this thing?

I am so. Lucid. lol

WE LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND YOUR NEEDS, EXPECTATIONS, CONCERNS OF BUYING IN INTERNET

"In" rather than "on" no biggie; English is not his first language. Biggie was W. saying "InternetS"

I am kidding. I have already learned not to trust any vendor in this arena. It is very sad.

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:53:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

what is this bias tape you mentioned
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:08:41 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
what is this bias tape you mentioned

It isn't really bias tape, Pro, that was creative license. I have o clue what it is. Pls look at the underside image of this rug. I will try to upload it. Along the long edges where the selvege should be, there is broad tapelike stuff....maybe leather or something.

Wondaful. I see the link doesn't function. I was sleepless. Let me try again, sorry.

http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

I have NO clue why I can't paste a FUNCTIONING link.....the item IS STILL AVAILABLE. Let me see wut up here.
Jilly attached the following image(s):
Bias Tape.JPG
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:27:25 PM(UTC)
Groups:

In the meantime.....it is item #370119983913 from bestrugplace. Let me try to troubleshoot this stupid.

PS, OK, sorry about this, but if U go onto ebay and hit advanced search, enter the item number without the #.....U will see this thing. I think tis is a sign from the God of hand knotting.... that this is not my rug, right? Murphy's Rug Law. THAT IS WHAT THIS IS. Whatever can go wrong WILL GO WRONG.
#5 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 1:19:22 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I know I am being pest.....but what is the giant bias tape? I would think a leading indicator that this is new, commercially produced rug and to stay away?
netjim Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 2:40:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Strips such as this are sewn onto the backs of rugs to help them stay flat (as in to not curl up)
There are different materials used but often this is a leather strip (sometimes it is a vinyl strip but not often).

There are several opinions as to why this may be needed.
One is that the serging may have been applied too tight.
Another, and perhaps more common explanation is,
this rug was woven on a loom that may have been just a little bit warped thereby causing uneven tension all across.
I have even heard that this is most often found on rugs from Iran because many of the looms there are very old and the weaver simply has not been financially able to replace it.
It is generally Not seen as a fault nor does this in and of itself make the rug a "second".
Some would say it is a pretty good indication that the rug did indeed come from Iran.

I don't think you will see anything like this on a machine made rug.

As for it being commercially produced......I venture to say that most of the rugs you will be able to see for sale in this country were made to be sold. That sort of makes them commercial right?
Bottom line is
if you like the rug and think it a fair price
Buy it. Angel

RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 3:53:35 PM(UTC)

Netjim has some really keen insight which I second. no pun intended

check out on the site

Thick Straps

When pad ain't enough
KrowGyrl Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 5:07:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

As far as all rugs in this country being commercial, I have a question. I have a wonderful book published in the early '50s by a guy who was in the diplomatic core in Turkey in the '20's and '30s. He became quite the antique buff with a particular interest in carpets. He found a few guys to take him under their wing and he describes some pretty wild stories. Donkey loads full of carpets coming in from mosques that were in very bad shape and due for replacement. His guys put them through some fascinating techniques it seems and brought them back to a resaleable condition. Now, in the '20s we would have been seeing the avalanche of stuff flooding onto the market from the fall of the Ottomans. The thing is, there are still a lot of magnificently huge mosques in Turkey, Iran and other places today that are all open spaces and covered with carpets. They see a lot of foot wear and would certainly need to be replaced periodically. Couldn't some of the large number of old worn carpets that turn up have come from this kind of source?
#9 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 6:40:37 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Fascinating info ....I thank you all.

The mitigating the downside net result of OLD LOOMS possibility, very romantic and appeals to me.

Plus, I doubt if the rug is less warped than I. lol

But, while the anti warp "tape" may confirm it was made in Iran.....I still FIND it a turnoff. Like using joint compound to repair a good plaster wall. which I, Jill, have done. But at least I know it's a capitulation.

What" appeals to me," I have learned, in painful, illuminating, distilled chronology here.....given I am a novice---what APPEALS TO ME, may be moot....forgt make me vulnerable.

Next, my use of the world "commercial" is neither doctrinaire not literal.. Obviously, most items are made to be sold. That's a a given. I mean, what in another thread, I think Pro meant: something is either phoned in, an autopilot replication of something classic.....or it reflects some fidelity to a region, a classic style, but also ..an individual.

AND, could it be any more obvious that in my struggling (that's what it is now) to finding a rug....related goal is to avoid being victim of opportuism-exploitation at all costs?

I can feel my confusion (verging now on fragmention) is annoying to some. But I get and am working on all of it. The more you see, the more you learn, the less linear and simplistic life is. And the wefts aren't always parallel and as the crow flys.

There are no straight lines in nature.

#10 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 7:18:20 PM(UTC)
Groups:

KrowGyrl wrote:
As far as all rugs in this country being commercial, I have a question. I have a wonderful book published in the early '50s by a guy who was in the diplomatic core in Turkey in the '20's and '30s. He became quite the antique buff with a particular interest in carpets. He found a few guys to take him under their wing and he describes some pretty wild stories. Donkey loads full of carpets coming in from mosques that were in very bad shape and due for replacement. His guys put them through some fascinating techniques it seems and brought them back to a resaleable condition. Now, in the '20s we would have been seeing the avalanche of stuff flooding onto the market from the fall of the Ottomans. The thing is, there are still a lot of magnificently huge mosques in Turkey, Iran and other places today that are all open spaces and covered with carpets. They see a lot of foot wear and would certainly need to be replaced periodically. Couldn't some of the large number of old worn carpets that turn up have come from this kind of source?

Excellent postulation. Anotha can of worms to explore. A while back, I saw a giant carpet on ebay the vendor swore was from of one of Saddam's palaces. Vendor pointed out that it had not been rotated which explained the serious fading confined to one end.

Then, I read about changes in import legislation leading to some liberation and potentiation of sources abroad. Many arcane things apparently now impacting this industry. Including geo politics, trade agreements....alll kindsa stuff.
RugPro Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 8:08:38 PM(UTC)

Jilly, to get a good link into a post

write something, then highlight what you want to be linked. Then click the icon in the reply field that has an earth and a chain. It's to the left of the left align for text.

Then paste in the link, and the entire think will be activated.
#12 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 11:02:38 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Oh!!!! Fabulous. I am used to doing everything with my browser toolbars & mouse. And now....this is a very tired little mousey.

THANK YOU.

CREATE LINK!!!!!! Bye-Bye copy & paste.....at least, in this.