Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New Infatuation
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:49:16 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

The Sarouk thread is getting crazy-scary infinite. I just came upon something which made my heart leap....completely different in style than any other rug I've liked in recent rug replacment hunt obsession.

Not very old but not new; 289 kpsi......not cheap, but......I think, exceptional: clear in its music, melody. harmony...passion. This is not an AMBIGUOUS RUG. I have seen thousands of AMBIGUOUS RUGS.....with no discernible ESSENCE. Now, leaning little more about rugs beyond sarouks, I have seen some Mashads. I felt these are Sarouks on crystal meth. Exhausting. Fragmenting, even.

This rug is a whole other thing

Like living beings.....and isn't this why we become besotted by them?.....handmade .rugs, are INDIVIDUALS. (But not ALL.)

May I have feedback on this, pls? Including value re listed asking price?
LINK

Thanks much,
Jilly
Addendum: they list the "thickness" at 0.32'. Does this include the base ya think? If so, would the pile be more than 1/4" more? Like 0.29?? If so, would that mean it has very little wear? Why can't they just say PILE?
Jilly attached the following image(s):
10909C.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:02:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I don't think KPSI is as high as they claim, but that's neither here nor there if the rug is nice and given I have no photo to go by. Looks great, the price is tough to determine whether it's in good range. For something like this, it's one of those purchases where you either have to ask for specific photos, or just take the risk with option to return. It's a very attractive rug, and keep in mind, most places you go to in manhattan would be higher for a similar rug.
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:11:45 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi!

No PHOTO? I put image on my desktop and tried to link to it. Given they list the kpsis as they do, and it is an odd number....not like 290.....why would they lie? Actually, HOW could they misrepresent and be this specific? Esp given their return policy appears excptional for ebay, I checked.

Very cute re my buying a rug here in Manhattan.....I would rather eat worms. Not to press, and I know taste is subjective, but "attractive" very diplomatic; the rug does not make you wanna leap into the air, yes? I meAN you with yr "rug eyes."

Their thumbnails are not clickable.

I think I should submit questions and ask for closeups including the underside.

THANKS!
j.

RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:33:18 PM(UTC)

Just for an example, as a qualitative measure from the same seller, this is a carpet known as an "Ardekan" Its a highly commercialized rug with knot density around 81-120, Never any finer. They're Kashan Designs, but not really known as Kashan rugs per se. Take a look at what they're listing KPSI. It's BS. Doesn't mean the items they sell arent good, just means they're trying to catch buyers who don't pay attention, or don't know how to properly count knots. It makes that rug seem much better than other similar rugs. Thats why these guys at rugrag are doing the verifications, to make certain photographs standard for the industry online, and verify claims made by sellers.
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:24:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Wow! I get it. Blech. 256. Another number pulled out of th air, right? "Highly commercialized" is right. Also, iN this case, verging on cliche, ALSO UGLY, if not actually embalmed. (Photoshop pervades.) But I did not think the one I liked was any of those things. I am feeling less and less qualified to make a purchase. Forget even I know "old" in a carpet is no way 30-40 years. It's a minefield, I tell ya, guys. I wonder of some of these people have giant portrait of PT Barnum in their offices????? And re being one of those suckers.....been there, done that unwittingly, don wanna do it again.

I will be most interested to see this new arrival Sarouk Joe wrote me about. Maybe it's my original one! hahhahahahah. Not funny.

I just send that vendor this:
Hi,

If i may, some questions about this rug:

1) Can you provide more closeups including of the underside?
2) Is there any damage?
3) Any repairs?
4) Is the base dry or brittle in any places?
5) is 289 kpsi accurate? (not to be insulted, pls)
6) What would you guess the level of pile wear to be if any, and is the pile consistent?

Thanks much
Jill
PS, re excellent link to photo standards.....it appears I asked some relevant questions. I can not even see the real colors or detail, cause again, the thumbnails can not be enlarged.....first thing I noticed. And, given my current camera is 8MPs and with macro mode.....I would think 3 would be a very modest standard.

I think this whole endeavor requires a POLYGRAPH!!!!! I should follow up and ask them if they will submit to one. (Yes, when the Giants win another Superbowl.)
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:30:00 PM(UTC)

lol, you asked all the right questions. Cant wait to see what joe has :)
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:55:15 PM(UTC)
Groups:

You.....are intensely kind. Kind is a highly underestimated entity, I am realizing. Yes, seeing Joe's new puppy will be special. I even now like he felt entitled to get a little nuts at my initial questions about the not fabulous border, but otherwise gorgeous Sarouk. He followed up with generosity and erudition. He sounds like an interesting person and nobody need deal with frustration via some printout with bullets in the margin. I like human. Not machine-made.
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:17:15 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi again,

(People should get combat-boot camp discounts while struggling in this endeavor.)

Following up on that vendor's site.....I was first taken aback at some of the feedbacks from clients who bought high priced rugs from them, usually, I see, via "MAKE BEST OFFER." Some said: "amazing; exactly as advertised; higher quality than expected!" These items all had the very high knot count and odd numbers thingy.....giving the impression all were meticulously arrived at.

Then, I came upon this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190192698572
feedback left:
Beautiful rug, knot count not what was advertised
lindy3140 ( 7 )
Dec-22-08 04:41
Area Rugs Handmade Carpet Persian Kashan Wool 12 x 15 (#190192698572) US $2,000.00 View Item

Talk about beauty being in the eye of the beholder........and CAVEAT EMPTOR, BOY.
#9 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 11:01:07 AM(UTC)
Groups:

New record. Been home for 15 mins and already crying.

OK, as per below:

1) My bad....if I can navigate the repair console n XP Pro, you would think I would know to click on the main image....which then permits enlarging all the thumbnails. My Bad.

2) Tho when U do that, you immediately see the finishing along the selvege edges has been done with some kind leather-pleathor binding. I think. As per Rug Pro, COMMERCIAL. HAIR of the goat-sheep-koala bear=GOOD; SKIN of the goat-sheep-koala bear=NOT GOOD.

3) Moreover, the closeups of the thing reveal a riot of gaudy. If one could just experience this item always from THE SKY .....AS OPPOSED TO UNDERFOOT....it would not change yr brain chemistry. Closer proximity......U gotta sign a Hold Harmless document. (When in pain, I do trenchant.)

4) But they stand by the posted KPSI count. Goggling yields dense delineations of this issue, knot count, and its sometimes sham. (As in SHAM WOW) Higher KPSI ain't wut novices (read, Jilly) often thinK.

I Will now paste:
Dear ariesjill:

This rug in excellent condition and no damaged no repairs, No change of colors and the kpsi is 290 the pile is rich, for more pictures please click on large picture and you could see the details pictures on different floor.

If you have any other questions feel free to call me at 1-800-516-9373

Best Regards,
Rose