Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

I liked This Intensely
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:45:22 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi, I just posted my Sarouk miseries in another forum. I am trynig to find a replacement, but OMG, the prices are incredible. At least for anyting I like.

I found this on a Memphis dealer's site. I asked sepciics questions re condition; she responded, it looked good given those data and then told me they want close to 9K. When I politely shared I felt that was high (forget beyond me), she mailed back that they could probably list it at FIFTEEN K.....IT WAS IN HER FATHER'S HOME, she said; I think HE owns the business......and HE. the dad, said it was A "RUGMAN'S RUG.'

I get the cream field in the main border is exceptiional, and the subtle center medallion kinda nice......but am I living on another planet re the prices of these rugs?????????

They had another more garden variety semi-antiuq sarouk which was listed "as is.' I asked about that one, given her responses, I wouldn't go near it.....and they wanted $3800 for IT!!! Major ocndition issues and NOT AT ALL SPECIAL.

I will paste the one I liked.

By the way, this thing was made in the FIFTIES. Not the halcyon days of Sarouks exactly. Lest you think I am misrepresenting the communication, I am pasting below, I am beginner, but I know hubris when I see hubris, O, did I leave out the MOTH DAMAGE? The SPOTS/ Might have ebola as well:

Thank you for your inquiry!

Sk-27445 circa 1950 appr. 130 kpsi
good pile ; slightly over 1/4 inch pile
no repairs
not painted
not dry
As Is b/c minor spots and moth damage
$8,900 as is (could appraise for $15,000 without spots and moth damage)

Sk-26862
fairly good condition but some thinning areas
new wool whipped on binding
appr. 1/8 inch thick pile
circa 1920
painted
brittle areas
ends slightly missing and have thin layer of rubberized glue on back
$3,800 as is

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Sarkis Kish Jr

Hi Jill,
Thanks for getting back with me. The larger Sarouk is a wonderful piece and exceptional quality. It also has a wonderful design and colors. The red background is an unusual shade of red and contrasts beautifully with the ivory border. The light blues, light greens, salmon, and golds give the rug lots of charm and character. This rug was used in my fathers home because he loved it so much and calls it "A Rug Mans Rug".
You should seriously consider it especially if you love Sarouks. This rug will be around for many generations.

Best regards,
Sarkis

Jill
Jilly attached the following image(s):
sk-27445.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:08:12 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

It is a beautiful piece. This looks like the one noted as being 1950s. The older one sounds like a piece that really should be seen in person.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:04:33 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi! I just saw this.. As expected, U nailed it. But again, MOTH HOLES AND DAMAGE! For that money? Even if I had it, I would rather eat worms, OK?

As for the other, semi-antique one.....I did not paste an image from their site, but it is entirely unremarkable, not half as lovely as mine was.....and has MAJOR DAMAGE. I have no interest in seeing it; it would just remind me AGAIN, given what they want for it.....how much of a victim I was in selling mine.

J.