Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

tribal rug? Flat weave with brocading 8.5 ft by 6 ft.
Roxnmud Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:17:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping for some help identifying my rug. I've looked many places on the web, and haven't found a rug like this one. I have seen some of the designs: eight-pointed stars, hook-like things that I think must be 'botehs' etc. But the flat weave plus the brocading(or chain-stitching or embroidery) that covers most of the rug, combined with the two frames or borders made of pile, and the long fringes on both ends, and the subtle colors of tan, brown, and pink --- it's the combination of all these things that I haven't been able to find. The rug is 8.5 feet long and six feet wide. It's quite flexible and feels really good to me

I bought the rug at a neighborhood sale about four years ago and paid $10.oo for it! It is some kind of wool, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know much about warps and wefts or how to tell if the 'ground' is cotton or wool...

I'm going to try and post some photos now, and I thank everyone in advance for working on this puzzle with me.
Roxnmud attached the following image(s):
P6130005.JPG
P6130018.JPG
P6130007.JPG
P6130008.JPG
P6130011.JPG
Roxnmud
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Roxnmud Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 10:15:24 PM(UTC)

Hello Everyone,

I'm so sorry to have to display my complete ignorance of forums, but I've looked everywhere for some instruction. Now I have to ask ---- How can I read all the replies you kind people have posted in response to my query about my tribal rug?

Please help! My curiosity is killing me!

Roxnmud
Roxnmud
Roxnmud Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:57:19 PM(UTC)

Hello everyone,

I just had someone look at photos of my rug (not the same as seeing, feeling, inspecting,I know) and they suggested it was "a modern rug, probably from Afghanistan, combining flat weave with knotted pile, very unique..."

I would love to know what all of you more experienced and expert in rug evaluations think about my rug. But I haven't been able to access the replies that seem to have accumulated since Sunday, Aug. 11, 2013.

Please someone help figure out the forum. I've read a lot of rules and etiquette, read wonderful articles on this site about rugs, but still haven't figured out how to actually read people's replies.

Do I need to download something? Install something? Enable something? I've got a PC, windows 7, am reasonably tech-savvy, but not expert, but am new to forums (or should that be "fora") and just need some help.

Someone please respond to my email, (PM) because I can't access a response via the usual, apparently.

thank you so much,

Nance
Roxnmud