Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Russian antique?
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 12:53:04 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I just bought the attached rug for $100. The elderly Russian lady said the rug came from her grandfather and was at least 100 years old. I'm usually pretty skeptical about age, but a family rug would be the exception.

Obviously it is very dirty and has problems on th ends She stated it was a Russian Caucasian if that is correct. I pick up some gul figures, but what do you think. How old is it and what type of Russian rug is it? Any small value-$500- to it? Bottom line I like interesting pieces and I found the thought of what has happened during the span of 100 year old rug's life very interesting

It is 4X6
Thanks
Bart
File Attachment(s):
russianfull.jpg (2,333kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
russianbackgood.jpg (2,352kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
russianpart.jpg (1,820kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
russiancorner.jpg (2,144kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

btuma6 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:30:45 AM(UTC)

I again show my inexperience. I bought a Moud rug in July and since then have fallen in love with the art of the rugs. Also, at times, I have acted with very little knowledge, and too much trust.
I just called the elderly Russian past owner of the rug. I wanted to know the exact history of the rug since it was her father's father. Now she says that it wasn't a long time family rug, but she was just told it was over a 100 years old.

I believe that translates to a 1980's rug that has damage at one fringe end and needs washing. The only good news is once repaired I have a great place for it and i still find it an interesting piece.

Thanks,
Bart
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:32:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

It's good to hear you have an interest in rug.s

I guess the best thing is to really trust instinct, not what anyone says. I would say generally speaking, Caucasian is probably correct. Seems unusual with the color combination. I'm going to think about this one.... But if decent shape, I think 100 bucks you can't go wrong.
Are the dark colors oxidized and lower?
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:48:56 PM(UTC)

My gut feeling isn't "boy this is an old rug" with the dark colors faded. The darkest brown still look like a dark chocolate coloralthough not a sharp color as the flower in your symbol. The over all color isn't white as the picture shows, but a grayish cream cardboard color.
Thanks