Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help with identifying this rug. How much would this be worth?
Sabrina Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:27:13 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Does anyone know what type of rug this is and how much it may be worth?
This rug is about 30 years old. It's 8ft X 11ft 2.5 in. The label is extremely deteriorated, although there are some letters still visible as shown in photos.
From what I can see, it appears to be about 350 KPI maybe more and 2 ply as well as at least 12 different colors. I don't think that it is wool. It is in good shape, although one edge of the fringe may need to be replaced. It also has a few stains which should come out after cleaning as I have had it cleaned before.

Below is the online appraisal from this site. How accurate is this?

Online estimate from rugrag.com

More pictures posted here: http://flickr.com/photos/297339.../sets/72157609731575143/

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:39:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello Sabrina, welcome to the forum. This appears to be a machine made carpet. I'm not entirely sure on what manufacturer, but I recognize the style of abrash, edges and other.

The Rug estimator pro is pretty accurate, but was created for hand knotted rug assessment. The good thing is it appears as though this may be a wool machine made rug, which usually retain value and wear a little better than synthetics.
Sabrina Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:54:28 AM(UTC)

Thank you. I'm thinking of selling it. Since it looks to be machine made, then should I go by the Rug Estimator Pro appraisal, or should I get it appraised somewhere else? How do I go about appraising it accurately and selling it? Is Ebay a good place to sell it?

RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:44:08 AM(UTC)

definitely don't go with the rug estimator pro! The rug estimator pro is for hand knotted rugs only.

I would go craigslist. you can ask more money and it's free to list. you may have to show it to a bunch of people, but it should help get more dollar in the end, plus you won't have to ship. ebay is good if it were karastan or some other name that was easily recognized and highly searched for.

value on something like this is relatively low. A friend of mine has similar rugs stocked from many years ago unused. these he sells for $650-750 in this size today in new condition. on sale, they would be even less. 650-750 was pretty much what dealer cost was back in the day i believe. If this is the type of rug I think it is, they were very good quality. random question: When you take the rug and part it lengthwise, does it breach open very easily?

I would say the selling point for this, (you did mention stains) should be in the area of $250 in good condition even with a couple small, lighter colored stains. If the stains come out and the rug were clean maybe $350... used condition this is tops i would say, especially considering what a new one could go for.

you may have to see how it goes after some time, and be ready to settle for less if need be, perhaps as low as $150. Unfortunately, there's not too much of a market for used machine made.

not trying to be tough, but it's not really worth "appraising" machine made rugs. you may be able to get a replacement value that is pretty decent, but to have a dealer put this in writing would cost a lot of money, and certainly not help sell it. replacement cost is much different than a market value. You're best off saving the trip to the dealer and lugging it around town...

again, craigslist would be the best way to go I think

Here's a good article on the main site in regards to values for machine made rugs.

http://www.rugrag.com/po...t-an-Authentic-Rug.aspx

Sabrina Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:06:34 PM(UTC)

Thank you for all the information. I think I somewhat understand the values of machine versus hand knotted rugs more now. I will try craigslist and see if there is any interest. As for your question, I parted the rug lengthwise and it parts with resistance and I have to work my fingers into it to create a good part, although it's not impossible to part and it won't stay parted if I remove my fingers.

I may go ahead and have it cleaned before selling it as it may make it more appealing. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the info.

RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:28:40 PM(UTC)

no problem on the info. I would consider having it cleaned too. It may help you get a couple extra bucks, may not. figure for a rug of this size about 120 would be fair if you're not in a major metro area. If this cost is too high, which in proportion to the sale potential it may be, try removing some of the stains in home with the stain removal guide

you may also want to consider having the fringe trimmed to look neater and newer. The vid at the bottom is helpful, you may want to have someone give a hand. Your rug I would say is a good rug to just trim a little of the tips off. I've never seen anyone do it like this, it's a really interesting way to clean it up. I've always seen people clip fringe while the rug is hanging, but this never comes out even If you do decide to have it washed, don't let them bleach the fringe at the washing plant, this can ruin it.

otherwise, let us know how it goes!