Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

help identifying
pigeggs Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:21:42 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I know I wont get much of an answer without a picture, but until then I just need some basic information. I bought a rug at a thrift store. It is a very heavy rug for its size, and looks to be done by hand, because nothing is identical or evenly made. The rug appears to have crosses. Maybe I am way out of line thinking this, but could this be a persian rug with crosses on the medallion and on other areas? I have never seen a cross (or what I think is a cross) on a persian/oriental rug. Some of the rug has squiggely lines near the crosses. The rug is a warm brown color with blue reds and greens and other shades. Also on the underside of the rug is a signature or a name that I cant make out. What would this be? If anything significant. Well I will post a picture of it here this week and thanks for any information you can provide. Georg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

cloudband Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:38:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hi George, welcome to the Rug Rag Forum!

This is an interesting question. Please do attach photographs when possible.

I actually have seen several Persian rugs with crosses in them. This would include some older Kermans with European influenced motif. Usually this was in conjunction with some sort of depiction of a figure head. Several months ago I came across a low grade Tabriz Rug in an associates inventory which had several crosses in it. No pictorial depiction, simply a panel design with crosses substituted in several panels. So, to answer your question, they do exist. More commonly, there are Moroccan rugs, or possibly an Indian interpretation of such which sometimes had crosses woven in them as well.

As for the signature, this is a post that should help clarify some of these things:
http://www.rugrag.com/post/Authentic--Signed.aspx

Thanks for bringing this to the forum. Looking forward to the photographs!

Sincerely,
Dave
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag