Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rugpro, thanks for your help , help on age and is it worth repairing
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 7:06:42 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I have a rug, but know little about it. First I know it has about a 12" by 9" hole. I put the key in it for perspective

Second. the rug has a tag attached to it from Aliison Rug Cleaners Alison, Mass. The interesting thing about the tag is it is in old print and has a phone number of "Stadium 2-4200 which is my guess of the old party lines.

So can you tell it's age and if it is worth the fix. The 9X12 rug is in very good shape except for the spot a plant was placed and leaked.

Thank for any help. If this should go to another portion of the site, please let me know. I hope I have included enough pictures.

Bart

If I don't attach the pictures correctly I'll try again
File Attachment(s):
oldemblem.jpg (3,546kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
rughole_edited-1.jpg (2,756kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
oldbigdime.jpg (1,780kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Kazak Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:36:19 AM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

Hello,

This looks like a Heriz variety carpet. This is North West Iran near Tabriz. While the weave does not look quite like a Heriz, there are surrounding towns and villages which make variations of the Heriz design and quality.

What I would suggest is given the size of the damaged area, and the extent of the damage into the surrounding area, the easiest thing would be to find a patch. This is something maybe a rug dealer could do to fix it. This is the only cost efficient way to fix. The cost of rewesaving a hole of this size probably could not be justified in terms of the rug's overall value, unless it were something sentimental where cost is no object.

I would bring this to a local reputable repair shop to evaluate the whole carpet. The carpet is not particularly valuable, especially in this state or even repaired.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:18:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would agree Kazak regarding repair, although it could be a Heriz the border doesn't look exactly typical for these types. Krow, I'm curious how far in depth the class you took went into how to decide when and what to repair...
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 3:40:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Krow, I'm curious how far in depth the class you took went into how to decide when and what to repair... >>>

Well, it was a five week class so we had to go lightly over everything. But that was interesting. His equation was basically, what the rug would be worth in perfect condition, how extensive and what kind of damage there was and what it would cost to repair and then start subtracting from there. He briefly listed some off the cuff figures about what different kinds of repairs cost. I have seen repairs from perfect reweavings all the way down to patching, and patching badly.