Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

sarouk, too?
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 3:54:36 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...listing says...

"1920's Sarouk or Sarough Oriental rug, I forgot which one it is. It is in very good condition. Some light wear. Size is 8.5 x 12. Appraised for $3500"

...so, what do we think...they'd like to get 1,200 for it....
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
MVC-059S.JPG
MVC-060S.JPG
MVC-061S.JPG
MVC-062S.JPG
MVC-063S.JPG
MVC-064S.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 5:04:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

very pretty rug, but it does show one area of pretty hard wear from what I see. Keep in mind, appraisal is often an inflated value, or *replacement* cost. It's not uncommon for some dealers to give an appraisal in which their fee is directly correlated to the "value" of the rug. In other words, if they charge 10% of the value of the rug, they would have gotten $350 for this appraisal, and their incentive is to "appraise" the carpet for higher than it's actual worth. The best thing to do is find out what the appraisal was, and who it was from.

the circle in orange is a what looks to me like hard isolated wear. the rug could have this allover: uneven wear is a rug value nightmare. the pink circle in the upper left hand corner looks like another are of problem. It's tinted a little bit of a different color, so it could be dry rot, staining or other.

can you inspect the rug in person? where is it located, maybe there's a dealer nearby who can inspect it?
RugPro attached the following image(s):
sarouk.JPG
mosaic08 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:07:28 AM(UTC)

well, not exactly, it's not very close, but closer than some that i've been posting... i've got another one...here is what the listing says...
....Genuine Persian Rug (SAROUK), All Hand Knotted (Hand-woven), Age: At least 40 (maybe older, not sure if is pre-WWII), Colors: Primary: Red, Secondary: Shades of Blues, Green and Cream, Design: Center Medallion with distinctive boarder and floral motifs, Condition: Excellent for its age, Facing: no sign of wear or fading, Back: was professionally repaired about 10 years ago to maintain the integrity of the carpet, Cleaning: It was professionally cleaned about 1 year ago, Pile: Thick probably around ½ inch, Dimensions: 9 feet by 14 feet...

i'll post pictures seperatly...how do you do them inside a reply??? okay, i figured it out...nevermind
Sarouk-1.jpg
Sarouk-2.jpg
Sarouk-3.jpg
Sarouk-4.jpg
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:26:20 AM(UTC)

This is a nice looking rug. Going by the top colors used, because they're bright, I would say this is an "American" Design Sarouk from 1960. It would be great to have better pictures but these are good. I like this rug, and I like the last one you posted. I don't like to generalize, but, often is the case that the newer the rug, the less wear and problems it will have. That's not always the case, but I think if you want to purchase a Persian rug, start out with one that has good life left in it. These American Sarouk designs are one of the most popular Karastans ever made, so it's good because it's also timeless. Be careful with this sarouk rug, depending on the age, the quality will indicate if it's a true sarouk or arak. It doesn't affect the value a tremendous amount, but arak kinda adapted the sarouk design to accomodate high western demand.
netjim Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:54:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

That Karastan Sarouk:

http://www.karastan.com/...?RugID=115&RugType=

Not a very large (or good) image. I don't recall if I have one in the showroom but if I do I'll shoot a couple of pics tomorrow and maybe confirm a little of its detail.

RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:54:44 PM(UTC)

Hey netjim!

Karastan 700 series are almost bulletproof. solid rugs at a reasonable price. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but they actually still make this design? If they do, I don't even know why I would be surprised, I guess it's just a really long run, but then again, it is one of the most timeless rugs

Mosaic, the first sarouk you posted is a beautiful rug, I would just ask for detail photographs. 1200 is not horrible a deal if it's in the condition it appears, but I get the feeling that the rug you purchase you want to snag for a steal.

Take a look at this sarouk dr. sobhe has on rugmaster blogspot. Apparently the customer who brought it in wanted to have the fringe finished better, they got a 5,000 rug for something like 250 dollars at an estate sale.

http://rugmaster.blogspo...et-american-sarouk.html

important notes on that rug: the dark background is rare, and more desirable... $$$, Colors in close up picture are rich, deep and undisturbed. The refringe was a horrible addition, but they did a good job fixing it. If the fringe were still on it, this would detract from the value, I would go so far as to say the corrective repair sobco did increased the value to where the rug should be. Bad refringe almost always gives a strike on the rug. They used glue on this one! bad...

You have really good taste mosaic. where are you located again?
mosaic08 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:58:17 AM(UTC)

yes, that rug is exactly what we're looking for, and the perfect size... i'm not sure the 9x12 would really work for us, but i thought it might be a good deal and something i should jump... i've requested and received some more photos...i'll post them. and based on them, i'm gonna pass. i think it is too far worn. however, i do think the second rug is quite nice and in really good condition. based on your comments from before, how would i tell if it is a true sarouk, or an arak? is there a certain photo i should request to help tell?

also, we're located in the chicagoland area...northwest suburb. thanks, as always...
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:15:34 AM(UTC)

that older one... it is a bit worn...

for the newer one... This is not the fail safe way, but one of the better ways to figure out if it's an arak or sarouk for this vintage of rug is to take a photograph of the back of the rug with a quarter placed on it. I'll take a close look, but it has to be a good and clear image.