Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Please help identify my rug!!!   Thanks!
BKLZ Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:11:20 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I bought this rug at a thrift store about a year ago. The closest images I can find are kazak serapi heriz. It has a very very short pile although does not look worn down to me. Made of very sturdy coarse wool. I believe it is wool on wool. There is no real fringe- the rug just ends. There are a coupel of spots where a bit of weave has come out on the ends but nothing significant and the rug appears complete to me. There are a couple of thin spots along the sides as well but the rug doesnt really seem as though it has been walked on much at all. It is small- 57"x 42" And if you can give me an aproxomate sale value either for Ebay or for a dealer please let me know! I love this rug but need some money- I have had a few rugs but this one is the only one which has ever really spoke to me- bvery strong and pleasing, and the design is so natural it feels almost as though there is the spirit of a guardian serpent inside :) Thank you so much. I look forward to any responses.
File Attachment(s):
Picture 001.jpg (3,804kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
Picture 002.jpg (3,043kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

BKLZ Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:18:18 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

The colors are truest in the close ups... . . .
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:06:38 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

This is an old northwest persian rug. It seems to be even wear which is good. This could be a plus or minus - if it has been painted to hide foundation, this is not good.

It looks like the minor border on one end is gone. It also looks like one end needs to be overcast, which could result in loss in doing a proper fix.

If you were to sell on ebay as a private seller with little other related items it may get $400 - 600. If you held out for a while - say half a year - and the rug is clean with no problems to structure or the back of the rug, perhaps 1200. The design is charming, but likely will not speak to many as there is a lot of negative space without detail in somewhat of a crude way for this type. The whimsical nature would speak well to the right collector, but the problem is the missing end which they may not pay for.