Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

...well, what is it and what's it worth...
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:51:48 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...usual questions...please let me know if you have time...
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
sarouk, 7'10 x 10'7.JPG
sarouk, 7'11 X 10'7 (back).JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:32:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

nice looking rug, looks like a slightly courser quality sarouk (guessing just about 81-100 kpsi) probably from the early 1940's. The only thing is if it's less than 100 kpsi, it's probably not a sarouk, but a close proximity city rug. I can't imagine it being too much older than this, and it's probably not much newer. Safe to say it's a semi antique. The only thing I would be concerned about are the yellowed areas on the fringe towards the right hand and left hand side in the full photograph, and towards the top of the image (appears to actually be the bottom of the rug) there's one in the center. These areas could be dried out, although it's not uncommon for slight staining or oxidation over the years... it's just not consistent which leads me to believe dryness if that's a word

As for value, if the wear is very even, and the rug has no significant problems: if this were to get sold on eBay nr, I could see it getting every bit of $1000 after being cleaned I believe. It's tough to say though without seeing the rug up close and personal as you know. A lot of things that would give a rug strikes against it can't be seen from some of these photographs although the pile does look decent.

Mosaic you bring very interesting rugs to this forum, tell us a little about this one
mosaic08 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 11:20:25 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...well, it was just a rug i was interested in to purchase and i just wanted to run it across the forum...i have a couple of craigslist searches set up and when something strikes my criteria, i investigate. i'm really looking for an 8x10ish antique kerman or sarouk for our dining room, but then again i don't want to pay what it's really worth since i can't afford it :) so i look for them on craigslist hoping to get lucky.... i walked into a store the other day and found the exact sarouk i was looking for....well, it was $13,000, but he said he could give it to me for $10,000.... um, so i think i'm gonna stick to craigslist and see if i can get lucky...

...and speaking of lucky, i'm gonna post another little rug that i found realy interesting... let me know what everyone thinks...i just really love the old, floral, city carpets...

thanks again..
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 11:29:35 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

how much were they asking for the one posted with pics above?