Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

PURCHASED!!!  Very Unique Iranian Qom
msdunkel Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:27:44 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Well, I went out and spent more money on a rug than I ever thought I would. Before I put down what I spent, I'd appreciate if a couple folks could give me an estimate so I'll be able to kick myself or pat myself on the back. I will say that I spent >3 hours negotiating and feel like I wore the seller out, plus having a friend with me who spoke Farsi probably didn't hurt. I got the rug for 7000 AED less than the next lowest price on a comparable size/style combination (although I liked mine much better).

The thing that really got me on this rug was the way they intermingled the colors in the background. Instead of a solid brown background, it's like a dot matrix of darker and lighter browns. I used a better camera for this one and all those details should show in the pictures. I also included a picture of the back zoomed way in with a ruler so you can help me estimate KPSI, I counted 24 across for 576; however, the seller insisted that some of those knots were doubled up so my personal count was low, I'd like to hear from an unbiased observer.

Thanks for looking!
msdunkel attached the following image(s):
Iranian Qom entire rug.jpg
Iranian Qom overview.jpg
Iranian Qom signature.jpg
Iranian Qom beautiful blue.jpg
Iranian Qom back corner.jpg
Iranian Qom knot count.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

msdunkel Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:33:09 AM(UTC)

Sorry, couldn't see a way to edit my post. I forgot to mention the rug is obviously a full silk, and is 2x3 meters.
Rugfirm Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:16:34 PM(UTC)

This is a Persian Silk rug with a signature "Quom-Arabloo", and it may not be woven in Quom but in its suburbs which does not make any difference to you. The design is called "Gonbad" and it is a good looking rug. The price offered to you comes to roughly $2000 (If I am not mistaken) which is a very very good price for the rug. Buy and enjoy it.
msdunkel Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:42:22 AM(UTC)

Rugfirm wrote:
This is a Persian Silk rug with a signature "Quom-Arabloo", and it may not be woven in Quom but in its suburbs which does not make any difference to you. The design is called "Gonbad" and it is a good looking rug. The price offered to you comes to roughly $2000 (If I am not mistaken) which is a very very good price for the rug. Buy and enjoy it.

Thank you for your reply. Is Gonbad the overall design, or is it the technique they used for the background brown mottling? So is the Arabloo family just outside of Quom?

In addition, it was $2000 CHEAPER than its closest comparison, not $2k total. I spent 29,000 AED (~$7945) on this rug with the next cheapest in this category being 35000 AED :).
verygooduser Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:40:11 AM(UTC)

Qoms are tricky ones to hunt down, unless you know what you are doing, don't go there.

I doubt this is full 100% silk (as in pile, weft warp), judging by the coarseness of the design lines and the low knot count. You haven't reported on the pliability of the carpet, because that's a strong indicator of silk composition.
As one of the fellow members just said, this is done around Qom (maybe Maraghay and the like..)
Also, it is impossible to buy a "real" 2x3m Qom retail for that price.. at least multiply by a factor of 2.5.

High end Qoms are priced according to precise rules much like diamonds regardless where you buy them. There is no opportunity there for arbitrage at retail level.