Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Estimate for my blue dragon silk rug, please
thomaskr Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2011 12:10:58 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,
This rug was purchased during a special event at the Chinese pavilion at the Epcot Center at Disney about 15-20 years ago. I can't recall the purchase price, but it was either $8,000 or $13,000 at the time (the original invoice is in an album somewhere, but I have it). It's hard to find any similar rugs for comparison, but here are the specs:

8'1" long by 5'1" wide
silk-on-silk
9 dragons
12 distinct colors that I can count
I cannot count the threads per bundle, perhaps someone can estimate from my photos
it's about 1/4-1/2" deep
a really deep, lustrous blue color, extremely rich

I apologize for the quality of photos, I didn't have my digital camera charged at the time. I'll upload better-quality images later.

File Attachment(s):
Silk-Dragon-Rug-04.JPG (2,654kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
Silk-Dragon-Rug-05.JPG (2,427kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Silk-Dragon-Rug-06.JPG (2,608kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
thomaskr attached the following image(s):
Silk-Dragon-Rug-01.JPG
Silk-Dragon-Rug-02.JPG
Silk-Dragon-Rug-03.JPG
Silk-Dragon-Rug-07.JPG
Silk-Dragon-Rug-08.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:31:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

It's a nice rug but I'm sorry to say you paid far too much.

From the photo it looks like a 120 line (Chinese measure knots in the number across a linear foot - 120 line is the same as 10x10 or 100kpsi which is low, especially for a silk rug).

It's hard to estimate how much this rug would cost new in the US today but I'd imagine somewhere along the lines of $3000-4000 retail. I'm sure a US dealer will be able to give you a more accurate value.
1 user thanked Little-Persia for this useful post.
thomaskr on 10/8/2011(UTC)
thomaskr Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:06:17 AM(UTC)

Little-Persia wrote:

From the photo it looks like a 120 line (Chinese measure knots in the number across a linear foot - 120 line is the same as 10x10 or 100kpsi which is low, especially for a silk rug).

It's hard to estimate how much this rug would cost new in the US today but I'd imagine somewhere along the lines of $3000-4000 retail. I'm sure a US dealer will be able to give you a more accurate value.

I'll take at look at the instructions on how to do the knot count -- it seems odd that it appears so low considering how many threads there appear to be in each of those "nodes" in comparison to the average rugs I have (although this could be a factor of how thin the silk strands are by comparison). I knew I had probably paid too much, but it's one of the nicest and most striking rugs I've ever seen (photos don't do the depth of the blue any justice) and I wanted to have, regardless of price! It's strange to think the more (relatively) boring middle eastern wool rugs I have are worth a lot more!

I'll try to do an accurate knot or kpsi count and report back.
thomaskr Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:23:32 AM(UTC)

Little-Persia wrote:

This is taken from: http://www.rugrag.com/po...ys-the-Knot-that-Counts!.aspx:

"Relatively speaking, knot for knot comparing the two, there is no dollar amount an individual can place on any single knot woven, and simply put, there is no one "ideal" knot count to use as a guideline when researching the purchase or acquisition of your new Oriental Rug(s)"

How much can I ascribe knot count to quality or worth of a rug? Obviously the designs on a rug are likely to be more precise, the larger the number of knots, but what other factors come into play? I vaguely recall the salespeople at Epcot telling me that the silk was the same used in the high-end kimonos.