Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dated 1262, mid 19th century Kuba rug
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:28:38 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I was able to come across this 3X5 Kuba rug locally. I read 1262 which translates to mid 1800 unless I'm missing something. The date also seems to go with some of the designs, colors Colors are not entirely true on the pictures. Very good pile no repairs, some minor work needed I would image to stablize the rug. I believe i'm accurate with all of the above but correct me if I"m wrong and I have no idea the value of such a rug?
I also bought a 1900 tekke ensi in pristine condition if anyone would like to see those pictures.

Thanks
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
kubabackvanc.jpg
kubacornervanc.jpg
kubadatevanc.jpg
kubafiullvanc.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:52:48 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

if 1262 I believe this translates to early 1880's. don't always trust dates in calendars. Has the rug been reducted in length? Looks like there may be a cut brought together in one of the photos
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:44:22 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I am asking the question to verify my read of 1262. amd to have the slight idea of value of a rug this old. I'm confident of my reasoning if 1262 is correct.

According to the Jacobson Rug site and others, after 1920 the solar lunar date was used which would be the 1880. However before 1920 the islamic lunar date was used, and to arrive at this date another 38 years would be subtracted. Actually my date was wrong once I recheched it. I subtracted 33 rather than 38 so it woul be 1846 if 1262 is correct.

The rug is definately whole with the pictures showing a heavy blue abrash. The ivory does not hold the change which it would if shortened. Plus the back shows no "mends".

I also realize dates are only valid if the rug matchs the date. From what I can tell, realizing the pictures are a shade brighter than the rug, the rug doesn match the period.

Thanks, but again the 1262 and value is the question.