Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

exploring the murky waters of Nains
verygooduser Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 7:21:52 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,
I now consider Nain the most abused amongst all Persian carpets. The other day dealer shown me a seemingly technically fine nain 6-la (well at least in terms of knot count) only to find out it is actually woven in Meshad. Apparently, the only way to distinguish such carpets is to spot inconsistencies in the design, according to him "the design doesn't look right", or "they can't get the colours right" type of subjective assessment.

I had thought only low end Nains are being produced in Tabbas, which I readily distinguish due to the low knot count and "thick" designs and wooly pile.. I did an intrusive test on that carpet by unravelling one of the fringes, but I couldn't get it to unravel cleanly into 3-pairs of threads. Is this a reliable test though? Is there a way to conclusively attribute a fine 6-la Nain?

I must admit, my confidence was completely shattered since.

regards,

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Rugfirm Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:14:52 PM(UTC)

You are right. Nain rugs have been produced not only in Kashmar and Tabas, but also in Amol by the Caspian sea, where the outcome is usually Nain rugs that do not have a good weave and are also crooked due to the high humidity of the climate in this area. Nain designs have also been produced in China. The test for 6 or 9 LA Nain is exactly as you performed it. However, if you see many of the real Nain and Tabas Nain and get your eyes "trained" for this, you will be able to distinguish one from the other.
verygooduser Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:02:29 AM(UTC)

thanks for your feedback. So what stops others from using warp material similar to original nain? To my mind that would be an easy thing to source in order to produce the near perfect nain copy?
KAD Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:52:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

You should not only look at the warp material. If two poeple do the same thing, it is still not identical. Nain produces 9, 6 and 4 la rugs. I would rather buy a good 9 la original Nain than a 6 la from Neishapour, even if the design is closely relative the same. Real good Nain rugs are expensive. Everything expensive is copied. In Iran, they even copy themselves.
There are a lot of rugs out there I would say are close to perfect. But their price is of course higher than commercial rugs.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/