Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

help me appraise a silk Qum
verygooduser Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:36:16 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,
Can you please share your opinion on the quality and price of this rug?
http://www.mprugs.com/inventory/run/run101.htm
Generally speaking, is $2000/square meter good benchmark for your average Silk qum 600kpsi?

regards,

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Rugfirm Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:33:43 AM(UTC)

I would not pay too much attention to KPSI if I were you. What if you get a rug with 1000 KPSI that does not have a nice pattern or attractive colors? Silk Quom runners are a bit rare, but keep in mind that as for the foundation, the warp is silk, but the weft is almost always cotton. So the claim that the foundation is 100% silk would not be correct. This is a good-looking piece and I would say the price is fair for you as a private user.
verygooduser Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:39:54 AM(UTC)

I agree, knot count is just one of many indicators, albeit a leading one. I for one go design first, then knot count, then material...
The problem I face is the huge variation in pricing... is Mohammadi a particularly known weaver in Qum? Are these signatures weaved or just printed?
Rugfirm Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:37:02 PM(UTC)

"Mohammadi" is one of the good signatures in Quom, and the signature is woven not printed. However, Mr. Mohammadi as well as his nephews produce rugs in Quom, and I can't really tell you which "Mohammadi" this rug is from and I am pretty sure it should have an effect on the value. Of course, there are different qualities of of these rugs and they are not all the same.
verygooduser Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2011 4:09:18 AM(UTC)

Rugfirm wrote:
"Mohammadi" is one of the good signatures in Quom, and the signature is woven not printed. However, Mr. Mohammadi as well as his nephews produce rugs in Quom, and I can't really tell you which "Mohammadi" this rug is from and I am pretty sure it should have an effect on the value. Of course, there are different qualities of of these rugs and they are not all the same.

Thanks for the insights. So when you say "different qualities" what aspects of quality would differentiate between the individual pieces if, lets say, the material (silk on silk) and knot count are the same?
Rugfirm Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2011 12:09:16 PM(UTC)

There are just so many other factors involved in the value of rugs. Is the medallion exactly in the center? Is the width of the border the same all around the rug? Are the symmetric motifs of the pattern really symmetric? Does the weave show any inconsistency as you look at the backside? For a 100 KPSI rug woven by nomads, you will not pay so much attention to these factors, but for a high quality Persian rug, these all matter. Also, remember that some patterns and color combinations can be a bit more unique, and therefore add value to the rug.
verygooduser Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:50:55 AM(UTC)

thank you for sharing your insights. So at that level, and Silk Qum in general, how do you know you are not getting a Chinese copy, instead of original Persian?
Rugfirm Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:01:26 AM(UTC)

Many Chinese silk rugs are great copies of Persian Quom, but the quality of the silk itself can tell you wheter or not it is an original Quom or a Chinese copy. In some Chinese silk rugs, the KPSI is extremely high, but most of them are single-wefted, and that is probably why they do not last very long. I am not aware of a single sign to look for in order to make that distinction.
KAD Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:24:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

First, the rug you posted is very nice and price is ok. $ 2000 squaremeter is ok for low or medium quality rugs. Today, you can go to Iran and find rugs in the Tehran Baazar selling very good quality qum rugs wholesale for above US$ 5000 / squaremeter.
There is quite a difference between the rugs sold as qum. Lower price "Qum" usually come from Zandjan or Bonab - it is a lot like Nain rugs made in Tabbas near Meshed.
Chinese rugs have increased in quality quite a lot. Still most production is at the lower level. Many rugs on ebay are chinese but sold as iranian qum. I have seen chinese rugs wth qum design made so perfect and with such great quality that I would say there is absolutely no problem buying them instead of a cheap "Qum" from Bonab or Zandjan. But their price is also close to $ 2000 per squaremeter.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

verygooduser Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:53:22 AM(UTC)

KAD wrote:

There is quite a difference between the rugs sold as qum. Lower price "Qum" usually come from Zandjan or Bonab - it is a lot like Nain rugs made in Tabbas near Meshed.

Thank you very valuable insight. So is the rug I posted here Zandjan or Bonab? What is the average $/sqm for one of thoe jut to etablish a reference point and what to look for in terms differentiating them from real Qums?
KAD Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:40:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

There is no average price m² since most rugs are different. We sold low quality qum silk rugs 5 x 3 for $1500 / piece and top quality for more than $ 20.000 / piece. It is difficult to see the difference between qum and Zandjan / Bonab / Qum for someone who is not working with rugs every day. This is much more than what you learn online without looking at many (hundret) rugs of the same typ. I could not explain to you how to tell the difference between a real Picasso and a professional made reproduction - this is very much the same problem. One thing most Zandjan and Bonab have in common is a thin black nylon weft that is next to the white cotton weft. If you look at the knots, you can see these between the knots.
The rug Mike is selling is a real qum of good quality. So if you want to buy it, go for it. He is a correct dealer from what I have seen on his website.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/