Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rug Fever in Kandahar
chriseast24 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 11:47:26 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

So I'm working in Kandahar for a little while and figured this would be a good place to stock up on some rugs. My goal is to have enough to stock a nice sized home once I leave. I just purchased a 100% Indian silk rug and a 100% wool Afghani Herat rug last night. After reading on this forum I am extremely paranoid about not getting what I thought I was getting. I will post pics in a few hours once I get back to my tent and take some pics. The rugs are beautiful but I'm worried they are not what was advertised. I did get him to come off the price by $450 and he said he would give me the certificates today for the rugs. Hopefully you guys can help me out but don't spare me the facts, even if they are not pretty..Pics coming soon....
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

chriseast24 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2011 2:41:07 AM(UTC)

Alright so I just went by and got the certificates from the guy. The Herat rug states that it is 100% pure Belgian wool and made in Herat. The style is known as Nakhonak. Made using a combination of Kilim and the traditional hand knot loom method. The design is known as the King design. The color is 100% natural dye. 200 KPSI. Size is stated as 5x7.

The silk rug states that it is a Persian design Kashmir Indian rug made with 100% pure natural silk with silk base. The carpet is hand knotted in the Jammu Kashmir of India which has a border with Azad Kashmir of Pakistan. The Kashmir design is a traditional method of hand knotted rugs from Kashmir different family's and tribes. Persian pattern Tabriz design having seven hundred knots per square inch, the colors are all natural dyes this carpet is an original hand-made carpet. It takes ten to eleven months to make one this size in Kashmir. Size is stated as 4x6.

(I typed that pretty much word for word from the certificates).... Pics coming next..
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0459.JPG (1,952kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
IMG_0461.JPG (2,438kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
IMG_0462.JPG (2,111kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
IMG_0465.JPG (2,535kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
IMG_0470.JPG (1,458kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
IMG_0469.JPG (1,885kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Little-Persia Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:51:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

The rugs are Kashmir and Mushwani Nakhonak, unsure if the Mushwani is Belgian wool or not, would suggest not, it wouldn't be normal for these types of rugs anyway.

The Kashmir rug is a Kashmir rug, looks like real silk to me. But as you might have noticed the Persian description is contradictory - it's from India/Pakistan not Iran. Therefore it's Oriental not Persian. It does look like a nice rug though.

How much did you pay for them?
chriseast24 Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:38:35 AM(UTC)

He wanted $2700 for the Kashmir and $750 for Herat. I ended up paying 3k for both.... Too much?
Little-Persia Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:16:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I'd say that's a pretty good deal, the Kashmir doesn't look just 6x4 from the image.