Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Should I have my rug streched ? ? ?
Kurt Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:27:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

My Soumak rises a little at 2 places on the long size, see picture.

A local and very respectable dealer have told me that he can stretch it so that it disappears, is there any risk in doing it, and any negative sides ?

Thanks, Kurt

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Rugfirm Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:41:26 PM(UTC)

Good looking rug. If done by a professional, stretching your rug would solve the problem and will have no negative effects on it. I suggest you lay a piece of clean, white towel on the bubbled area, and use an iron on its medium-high temperature setting, going back and forth on the towel. Just as you would on a delicate piece of clothing, move the iron frequently to avoid burning the pile. Make sure you use a white towel so you will not get any color runs. I hope this will do the job for you.
Little-Persia Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:50:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Problems can occur when stretching rugs. If a wrinkly/creased/wavy rug is stretched there is the chance that when the waves are stretched out a perfectly straight rug with waves becomes an oblong shape.

This obviously depends on the nature of the waving and how even it is on all sides.
Kurt Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:11:34 PM(UTC)

Thank you for an excellent suggestion, I followed your advice and it solved the problem completely, time will show if it remains that way.

/ Kurt

Rugfirm wrote:
Good looking rug. If done by a professional, stretching your rug would solve the problem and will have no negative effects on it. I suggest you lay a piece of clean, white towel on the bubbled area, and use an iron on its medium-high temperature setting, going back and forth on the towel. Just as you would on a delicate piece of clothing, move the iron frequently to avoid burning the pile. Make sure you use a white towel so you will not get any color runs. I hope this will do the job for you.