Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is the retail value of this rug?
k_a_od Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:39:27 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I would like to find out the retail value of this rug, as purchased from a rug store who has been in business 30 years in my area. I want to make sure I was quoted a good price since they dropped the price $1000 without my asking (I told them not to bring it to my house since it was to expensive, but they brought it with another few rugs I was trying out and told me it would be $1000 less than they told me in the store).
Was told that the rug has a wool background and that the design is silk. Did not know to ask if art silk or real silk, and I am to intimidated to remove a knot and to the burn test, so wondering if price could be evaulated both ways.

Main picture of whole rug is taken from the dark side. There is a very pronounced difference from dark side to light side.
There is a place where the fridge looks bleached and a few spots on the pile in this area so I have taken pictures of that as well. I did the color fastness test with no issues.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0980.JPG (3,451kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
IMG_0987.JPG (3,181kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
IMG_0988.JPG (3,929kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
IMG_0989.JPG (2,899kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
IMG_0991.JPG (3,430kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
IMG_0990.JPG (2,417kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
IMG_0984.JPG (3,661kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
IMG_0986.JPG (3,458kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

k_a_od Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:42:36 PM(UTC)

Follow-up question, the retailer does not have a sticky pad for carpet to carpet use as you describe on your website here, can you identify a few online retailers who carry the right kind of pad?

"Carpet to Carpet

This is usually a thin felt sheet not more than 1/8th of an inch thick. Sticky on both sides, it helps keep an oriental rug in place on top of wall to wall carpeting. Be cautious! should you decide to change the location of your rug, this adhesive may not come off easily! These usually go for about $.50 - $1.25 per square foot*, and come pre-folded and packaged"

Thanks!
Little-Persia Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:34:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Looks like wool to me. Indian origin. May have bits of silk in it somewhere but definitely not full silk pile.

What size is it and how much are they now asking? Given that they dropped $1000 off the price fairly quickly it would suggest it was over-priced to begin with.
k_a_od Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:41:58 AM(UTC)

Oops, obviously including the size is important! It measures 97.5"x121 not including the fridge. Originally told me it was $4700, then $3700.