Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Should I buy this rug that needs phosphorus cleaning of many red marks??
k_a_od Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:07:47 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi-
Got a rug dropped off for evaluation by a rug dealer here who has been in my neighborhood since 1994 and who has worked with my decorator for years, so I think he is reputable. Showed him a bunch of bright red spots on off-white background of the rug he dropped off. At first he thought it was marker, then he said it was colored thread ("marshon?") that they use as a weaving guide. Said he would use "heavy cleaning agent, phosphorus, to bleach" it out. I expressed concern, he said this was normal and I would not be able to tell when he is done.

Should I even be buying this rug (assuming he removes this stain to my satisfaction)? Will this destroy the longevity of the fibers, or effect it's value, either now or in the future?

This rug works perfectly with the colors in the room, after looking at all his rugs in the store and trying out ten in my house, otherwise I would not be considering it. He said he could get another made, but the color dye lots could vary.

See pictures, enclosed.

Thanks!!
k_a_od attached the following image(s):
stains front closer.jpg
stains front 2foot line.jpg
stains back closeup.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:57:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

why would he use a cleaning agent when just a few knots could be carefully replaced?

Weaving guides are usually done on the warps of a rug, not with knots.
k_a_od Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:04:11 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Well, I don't know. What do you suggest that I do? Is the phosphorus cleaning going to be ok? I could suggest that he replace the knots, but I won't really have a way to know for sure what he's done to it once it's done.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:03:44 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

If you don't trust what he'll do, don't bring it to him.

The red spots are visible, but they're really not that bad. They're part of the weaving process, things just sometimes get mixed in with the wool. It just so happens this is a bright red, but this is the nature of a hand knotted carpet.

If you are seriously bothered by it, I would either have some of the knots removed, removed and rewoven, or do nothing. The pile appears plush enough that a few missing knots, so long as not too adjacent, would probably not be noticeable. In other words, you may not be able to tell the difference if knots were removed and replaced, or simply removed. Just try taking one out that has red and see what happens, or try to slip the red part of one knot with a needle, and pull through the back.