Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Thoughts on these two Ebay rugs?
Warrigal Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:35:39 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi there,

I am brand new to the forum although I've spent the last few hours browsing - I'm so impressed by the collective knowledge here.

I know very little about rugs generally - although I'm learning (I have spent the few years immersed in midcentury furniture design, which is how I've become drawn to these rugs sa they can look very nice in modern settings and keep it classic and not too period looking).

I'm in the market for an inexpensive area rug, and I like the looks of these two on eBay (by the same seller). From reading on here, I understand that most of the description (what little there is) is bogus. However, I'm trying to find out what you think of the coloring on both of these rugs.

Rug #1: Rug # 1 Link

On this rug, do you think that salmon/orange color is actually red that has faded? And one of the black "medallions" (please correct if I'm using the wrong term) at the end is faded to gray. I've asked the seller and he said very cryptically the rug is "abrush". I assumed he meant airbrushed but asked for clarification, to which he replied "they used different color ,there is no paint" Think In your experience, do the color differences look like fading or painting?

Rug #2: Rug # 2 Link

I really like the colors and border of this rug, but I'm wondering if the mottling effect I'm seeing is some major discoloration (perhaps from trying to wash it incorectly?) Particuarly mottled is the burgundy color. What are your thoughts on how this was caused? And is it a hideous effect? I'd prefer more crisp but the colors and overall pattern is nice. As to my inquiry on this rug, the seller helpfully replied: "every thing is good for this rug." Anxious

Any thoughts on whether $400 is fair for each rug?
Lastly, what can you tell me about the pattern of these rugs so that I know what I'm really looking at? I love to find out the history behind pieces but here I feel like I just dived in.

Thanks very much! I'll continue lurking around and trying to soak up the knowledge. Apologies for my long winded first post.
Thank
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KAD Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:00:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Welcome to the forum.
Both rugs are described correctly (almost). They come from southern Iran, the quality is usually called Shiraz after the city of Shiraz where the nomads trade these rugs in the bazaar. Both are quite old, but not antique - I would say 1960 - 70. of course they are not fine as described. They have a very typical tribal weave. The different colors in the first rugs are abrash. This means during the production of the rug, different wool was used. At the beginning, the color is usually the same at the entire rug, but with time the colors fade in a different way, so you get these color changes. It is very typical and ok. It is no damage. The second rug was originally had the burgundy color. It faded or was bleached to the lighter color. During its use the bleached top of the yard was used up and the original color appeared. It is not so nice, but it makes the rug look kind of "alive".
The price for both is fair, if you would like to buy the wool needed for these rugs, it would cost more.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

Warrigal Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:13:57 AM(UTC)

KAD,

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to look and share your comments - very enlightening! It's funny because the seller used the word "abrush" twice, and I googled and could not find anything so that's why I had assumed he meant "airbrush" - but your explanation for the term makes perfect sense so I'm sure it was a typo on the seller's part (or alternate English spelling as I sometimes see). It makes me feel better about the seller (who sells under half a dozen different names actually).

Re the second rug - interesting - I had wondered about the "watercolor" effect and can't decide if I like it, though it does have a different dynamic quality.

I have really enjoyed the past week or so diving into this rug world - it is a feast for the eyes and I've always loved anything with great color and pattern (I got married in a psychadelic Pucci dress!), plus I'm a bit of a research addict so I'll definitely continue to spend time here looking and learning.

Thanks so much again for sharing your thoughts and experience with me.

Little-Persia Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:24:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Like KAD said, definitely not 1930s, probably around 30 years old. The Abrash is quite common in rugs from these origins and this age, especially more tribal rugs as I would imagine it would be more difficult to be consistent in materials than in a city workshop setting.

The 1st rug isn't a Yalameh. Shiraz would be an OK general description.

The colour is probably bleached rather than natural fade - again this can be quite common when commissioning rugs for export to the west. The original colour would have been quite bold and bright. Around 2-3mm of the pile becomes faded, often to a more subtle orange colour while underneath can be bright pink, red or purple shades. I'll try to post up a close-up picture of this later.

Again as KAD said the prices are good - try to buy a wool machine made rug in the size for under $400 and you'd probably struggle. Although the first rug probably isn't as fine as the 2nd (and in its heyday the 2nd would probably have been very nice) it'd say it would be the better of the two due to condition and colour.
Rugfirm Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 1:07:29 AM(UTC)

Both of these rugs are Persian Shiraz rugs, and the abrash is really nothing to be concerned with. In most nomadic rugs, a small batch of wool could be dyed at each session. When the wool was almost all used up, more wool needed to be dyed. Since the dying was done by hand and no machines, the amount of the dye would never match the original batch, and it always resulted in different shades of the same color in rugs. The effect would be greater color changes as the rug gets more and more exposed to natural light. Prices are reasonable. These are handmade rugs and you will not be able to buy machine-made rugs at these prices. Even the wool itself will probably be worth this much. Good Luck...
Medallion Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 12:09:37 PM(UTC)

Im a big fan of these nomadic rugs. If you are choosing between the two i would say the second one is a higher quality, and more visually appealing rug.

the prices seem pretty reasonable. but the $38 dollar shipping is a bit much.