Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Indian Kashmir SIlk rug - Please help a soldier estimate value!
Soldierinafghan Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:47:57 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I'm currently serving in Afghanistan and would like to find a nice silk rug to take home. I am told that the 2 that I am looking at are Indian Kashmir...(from Kashmir, India) which I hear is more valuable.

I just want to know the true dollar value of this rug. The vendor was trying to sell for $1100, but I've talked him down to $850 over repeated trips to look at the rug. Its the softest rug to the touch that I have come across thus far.

Is this a good value? 850? How much would it be valued at in the US?? I apologize for not being able to place a quarter on the rug when I took the picture of the knots...but the vendor didn't want me to take pictures to begin with. I told him it was for family, a quarter would have been suspicious ;)

You'll notice there are 4 photos, 3 of the same rug. That is the rug I am primarily interested in, however, the blue one is one I am also looking at, this one has been offered to me for $750 from a different vendor. I was wondering if the value is lower because of the simpler design. The knots are from what I can tell identical. I was not able to take any more pictures of this rug so I don't expect too much feedback on this one.

Please visit this link to see the pictures.

http://picasaweb.google....Keith0301/KashmirIndian

Thank you so much, if you can provide me with any insight into this rug and the region from which it comes from I would appreciate it! I'm very hesitant to spend any more than $400 on a nice rug....

SPC Taylor
-Afghanistan
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

bukhara Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:04:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

looks like Kashmir silk on cotton. If the size 3 x 5 ft, then the price is too high
Soldierinafghan Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:15:47 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thank you for your reply! How can you tell its silk ON cotton?? This is something very good to use to negotiate with! So would $650 be more the going-rate? thats what i was shooting for...

I believe its the size that you say.