Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Serapi Iranian Rug appraised at $85,000.  What is the right percentage to ask?
JFKIII Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:38:20 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,

I have inherited an antique Iranian rug that has been appraised at 85,000. I am not in a position to keep it because I am a dog guy. I don't trust that they will not damage the rug and I will not let a piece like it get damaged. I have a few rug websites asking what I want for it and to be honest, I don't know what to say.

Here is the description.

11' X 18'

"This antique Serapi hand woven Iranian carpet is in superb condition to be over 100 years old. The fringe is original and intact; there are no worn pathways;and there are no holes.
The center medallion is red contained in a navy floral background. A lighter blue is the largest boarder with antique rose boarders on either side. The outer boarder is red with blue."

What should I expect for this rug? I ask in terms of percentage to appraised value.

Thank You,
JFK
JFKIII attached the following image(s):
Rug 1 Center.jpg
Rug 1 Corner.jpg
Rug 1 Back.jpg
Rug 1 Main.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

bukhara Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 3:40:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

looks like Bidjar to me.
Little-Persia Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 5:47:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Looks more like Malayer or Bijar to me. Not sure on value, wouldn't have thought it would be worth 85,000... it is nice and not in bad condition but it's not in excellent condition either, looks like its fairly low pile although even.

Value, particularly for older rugs is subjective though, who appraised it at 85k?
Little-Persia Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 6:11:53 AM(UTC)

My advice would be to take it to a high end auctioneers such as Christies and see what they value it at. Insurance value and what you can actually achieve are of course two different things.
JFKIII Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 9:29:49 AM(UTC)

Thank you. I will look into the auction places. The rug in the picture is halfway in shadows. It is in pretty good shape as far as a non-trained eye goes. I also appreciate you mentioning that it might be a different kind of rug. I'll research that next.

Ciao,

JFK
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 11:49:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would not say it's over 100 years but it could be. Dyes and other indicate it is it is close though. No way is it serapi. whoever said this is severely mistaken - no question it is a bijar as many others have commented. This can be seen by the design, motif, style, and most distinguishing from your photographs - the wrapped fringed ends. As for asking price, that depends. it has great decorative value, but the red, which has now appears may be a faded pink, is likely aniline dye. Not particularly desirable to purist collectors, but still of some good value if I am not mistaken (would have to see details on the back to ascertain). Condition would affect value - edges, corners, ends, sides - all very essential. if it's the real deal and excellent condition (not for its age, excellent for any rug), a replacement value of 85k may not be too far off.... but don't get your hopes up at all - market is soft, condition depreciates a lot, and private sellers never get top dollar unless a very, very unique rug or one which is documented perhaps with provenance or other.
btuma6 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:30:33 AM(UTC)

A good illustration of the accuracy of an "appraisal"
The worth and accuracy of an appraisal is only as credible as the source. A gentlemen used to frequent the site was a certified appaiser which in the US requires certain testing and licensing.
If you've ever donate a rug to charity and expect a tax deducation over a certain amount you need to include the name and certificate number of the appraisal.

This appraisal stands in stark contrast to the store owner who hands out an appraisal letter stating a rug is worth $3.6 million, but he will sell it for $500 plus tax.

KAD Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:54:48 PM(UTC)

Exquisit rug. Rare and seems to be in great condition for age. Edges, fringes, shirazi and kilim at lower end seem to be in perfect condition. Bidjar origin, unusual is wool on wool in this size. 85k replacement value in US seems not to be impossible, even it is on the upper end of the price range. I would also try to get it placed at the major auction houses, there a buyer is easier to find than private. It is very difficult to tell a price on a rug like this from pictures as rugpro pointed out.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

jahannandsons Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:24:47 PM(UTC)

It looks to me like this is a 1920s Kurdish Bijar. If the rug is in as good a condition all over the carpet as it is in the close-up photo, I would guess that you may be able to get $15K-17K from a dealer for it. It will be a tough sell on your own, so I think you'll need some outside help.
Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com