Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
What is this worth?
kpsunil Offline
#31 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:35:03 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

OK. Finally, I was able to weigh the rug. I can give only an approximation thanks to the limitations of the bathroom scale. This weighs approximately 60pounds (Sq. ft 75.33). I have never seen wool quality as a function of weight. Is there such a measure?

Also, I am still looking to buy another one for my dining room, some time this year. Most probably I will buy it from a regular store. But, any particular recommendations on E*Bay rug sellers? Have you noticed any particular seller/store as over the top when it comes to price/quality?
RugPro Offline
#32 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 1:18:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Weighing a carpet to determine wool quality is very unorthodox. However, as I'm sure you can imagine online we are at somewhat of a disadvantage in terms of having the ability to inspect your rug. I can tell you for a fact that lower quality wool which is coarse and dry will have a lighter weight than that of a nicer quality wool. While I cannot say for sure, it does not seem as though this rug in question has does not have a poor quality wool, but this can't be ruled out entirely. For a rug of this size to have a 60 lb weight and 75 sq. ft. you're probably in ok territory in regards to quality. Had you said it was ~45 lbs or lower, I would be suspicious. How much did you pay for this AMC rug and where did it come from?

While I would be happy to suggest any certain stores, I think this should probably be done through a private message. let us know specifically what type of rug you are looking for in terms of design, quality and price point, and I can let you know from what I've seen. There are sellers out there I can absolutely tell you to avoid if that helps, but do know, that even some good internet sellers will have their junk or seconds goods rugs. I know Krow has had some good experience, once you have found rugs feel free to post them and I can comment on what to look for in each specific type of rug.

Call it cliche, but rugs are like wine in some ways. Just like certain wines have their good and "bad" years in different countries vineyards, etc., there are certain things to look out for regarding rugs from particular countries, designs, types of weaves etc. Each type will have typical elements to watch out for. For example, if you're interested in older sarouks, it's important for buyers to know about painting practices. In regards to Heriz rugs, it's important to understand that many sellers call a rug a Heriz, when in fact it may be a rug of coarser quality that is not actually accepted in the industry as a "Heriz" carpet, but rather a Meriban or other. Jaldar rugs, or double knotted rugs are well known for their high susceptibility to moth infestation. Tribal rugs may have issues with color run, irregular design, etc. You get the point I'm sure. I'd be more than happy to detail on specific questions you should ask any seller prior to purchasing. Just let us know.
kpsunil Offline
#33 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:22:29 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

This was a gift. It came from a MD area retailer and reportedly for slightly less than $1500. The person who bought the rug knows how to bargain. So, I am sure that the price paid is not the initial asking price. I was just curious to know if this was a "fair" price. From what I have seen and heard on this forum and the "pricing tool", the price sounds more than fair. I hope it lasts for a long time.

Now that I am kind of more than curious on oriental rugs in general, I want to get more!! I will be looking for a 6X9 to place on a very nice golden/reddish maple hardwood floor. (Now I have a cheap machine made rug that the hardwood dealer threw in for free!) If I see some thing online, I will definitely try to get it authenticated by the experts here. As far as the type/variety, I don't have a regional preference. (Definitely not some thing made in NJ! Ha ha) I just have not been in 'rug appreciation' business long enough, but I hope to develop a taste. I need some thing that will look great and last a very long time, for a relatively light traffic area.
RugPro Offline
#34 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:34:14 PM(UTC)

It's a nice looking rug you have, I would certainly say $1500 seems good and fair. The rug could be called Chobi, or Peshuar, but the design is Egyptian. Nice looking rug. Very glad to hear you are taking on an affinity for these rugs. Be careful because it is more addicting than you would ever expect.

The hardwood floors you have sound pretty stunning, a NJ made rug certainly would not be suitable for such :)

Looking forward to seeing your choices!
RugPro Offline
#35 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:42:26 PM(UTC)

p.s. - Let me know if you have questions using the appraisal tool. A lot of sellers make claims on rugs which may or may not be true such as veggie dye, handspun wool, etc. I can probably help out with that if need be.