Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

soondog
soondog Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:05:58 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I bought 5 Qum silk/silk rugs at a rug throw while on deployment with the Navy. They are fully authentic handwoven with documentation. I only want to keep one of the rugs and would like to sell the others. Does anyone have any good advice on how to go about this. I see a lot of info on a rugs value/worth, but when I check Ebay to get an idea on what I could get for them or where to start pricing them, it seems none of the rugs on Ebay have any bids on them. It seems no one is buying off of Ebay and when I checked craigslist, I could only find one persian Qum that was for sale. I am afraid I have bought these and am now stuck with some very expensive rugs. Anyone know how I can sell these and make enough to cover the cost of one rug?
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:42:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Welcome to the world of selling rugs! It's hard for dealers to move stock, you need to have the right size, right colour, right price (right customer) so it's not easy and will be even harder for a private seller.

Upload some pictures of the rugs in question and you might get some advice based on how good they are.
1 user thanked Little-Persia for this useful post.
soondog on 10/30/2010(UTC)
soondog Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:40:02 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thanks, Little, for the response. I will get some pictures up ASAP when I get back to the states.
Little-Persia Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:02:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

One quick way to make money on them would be (if they are high quality silk) put them in to a high quality auction like Christies. I've seen silk rugs going for a lot through this auction house although many of them are older pieces. It'll really just come down to what kind of deal you got for them whether you re-coup you money or end up up or down.